Feint and Finesse

René

Banded Mongoose
I didn't find a thread for this problem, so I start this one:

Conan AE p.173: If you feint successfully, the target is not allowed to dodge or parry your next attack.

Conan AE p.154: "...if a finesse fighter's attack roll beats the target's chosen Defence by a number equal to at least the DR of the armour, that armour is completely ignored."

Correct conclusion (?): If a finesse fighter feints successfully, the target has no chosen Defence against the following attack, since he is feinted and thus not able to dodge or parry.
I.e. the finesse fighter has - after a successful feint - to beat only the DR of the target?

I'll post this on the Rules-forum, too.

Feinted target is technically "Flat footed". He can not use his dodge or parry bonuses in defence but his basic defence (10 for medium sized) is still effective. So, if finesse fighter manages to feint his opponent, it is DV10 to hit his opponent and DV10+Armour's AP value to hit an unarmoured location.

I don't have the AE, but what I understand is that if your feint succeds the target looses his dexterity or strength bonus only. Parry and dodge bonus granted by class levels still are in place.

Now, the finesse vs DR, yes, if you beat the DV of the target with an attack roll = or greater than target's DV+armour's DR, the damage reduction is completely ignored.

In AE if you are succesfully feinted, you are unable to dodge or parry.

Korppis, you mention adding the Armour's Ap value to the defence, when using Finesse..where does it say this?

As far as I understand, you have to get above the armour and defence to hit an unprotected area. Have I read this wrong? After 3 months of attempting to run Conan, I'm still trying to learn the D20 and OGL rules. :oops:

Anonymous said:
Now, the finesse vs DR, yes, if you beat the DV of the target with an attack roll = or greater than target's DV+armour's DR, the damage reduction is completely ignored.

This is correct.

Korppis said:
So, if finesse fighter manages to feint his opponent, it is DV10 to hit his opponent and DV10+Armour's AP value to hit an unarmoured location.

This is correct, except that it should say armour's DR. Armours have DR, weapons have AP.

Now, if a feinted character has DV=10 because he is unable to parry or dodge, then an attack check only has to beat 10+DR to ignore DR?

You find the (identical) official answer in the Rulesmasters forum:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6259

Trodax said:
This is correct, except that it should say armour's DR. Armours have DR, weapons have AP.

D'oh, you are right. In Conan d20 armour got DR, AP's were used in coda...
whoops :roll:

can a thief with improved feint sneack attack every round?
is a feinted character considered flat footed?
can this happen at any point during combat?

thanks
thiefs are lethal!! :)

Belkregos said:
can a thief with improved feint sneack attack every round?
Yes.

IF

(a) He doesn't move futher than a 5 foot step.
(b) He doesn't want to make a full round action (like a full attack in order to be able to attack with 2 weapons, for example)
(c) He successfully bluffs his opponent, who, remember, gets to add his BAB to his Sense Motive skill.

is a feinted character considered flat footed?

No. He loses his dodge and parry bonuses (and is therefore vulnearble to sneak attack), but only against the character that carried out the Feint. He does not lose his attacks of opportunity, nor can he escape the effects of being feinted by use of the uncanny dodge class ability.

can this happen at any point during combat?
The feint can only happen when the character who wants to feint has a move action spare, on his own turn.

So, if a feinted character is effectively considered flat footed, and the attacker has the feat brutal attack, can he add thrice his strenght bonus to damage

Note: previous reply edited to clarify difference between being flat-footed and losing dodge/parry bonus by other means.

Back