Favourite (possibly unrealistic) setting to convert?

I would like to see:-

Darkover - Marion Zimmer Bradley - lost colony
2001 - First encounter with alien life
Star Cops - BBC 2

Not really in the vein of "harder sci-fi" that usually is Traveller, but I'd love to see Robotech / Macross ported to Traveller. I briefly made some general designs in T20 and had some players run through the first few episodes of Macross. They seemed to love it, even the ones who hated Robtech as a concept.

Unfortunately I'm hard pressed to convert much of anything without an equivalent to FF&S and a decent World Builder's guide. Dangit Mongoose, get us world builders something to chew on :)

(PS. Yes, I know I can just make it as I like and run with it, being the GM and all . . . but I'm a fan of consistency and crunchy bits, which is much easier with a well built guideline)

lastbesthope said:
The Serrano books
Wing Commander
Space Above & Beyond.

LBH

I'll say a BIG Ditto to the three above and add a "Second" to the Honor Harrington series by Weber and Andromeda!

Actually, all my picks have been mentioned already in this thread.

Hmmm ... I guess I need to broaden my reading.:)

Stofsk said:
kafka said:
Battlestar Galactica Original Series.
You mean the one with the Space Mormons from Planet Egypt? :D
Yup that is the one. Something very classic about the Original BSG and that fits well into Traveller. Once you take away the main characters (something TV could never do), you have quite an interesting storyline. PC playing the secondary roles or teritary roles that never got much screen time. Or even the humble mechanic that gets involved in the repairs to the Fleets FTL drives. I always found inspiration that everything did not have to be about the Cylons. The problem with the original series is that it drifted too much into the realm of Space Western rather than Space Opera thus making a fit more problematic.

Dark Horse's Star Wars Alternative Extended Universe
Oh no, please no. Are you serious? I didn't like those alternate EU stories. :(

Yes, again, I am serious, if West End Games could do a good run of the novels that were produced. If the property could be shared with SAGA then why cannot Traveller tackle some of the darker issues that Wizards is always too shy to approach.

Essentially, I would want to see a Dark Future of Sex, Drugs and Violence for Traveller without drifting into the cliches of cyberpunk. A Dark Mirror of what it is now. Now, I looking for a setting that would match that...other than my own Traveller Universe.

SF has always been about probing and pushing the issues of today and confronting them in a plausible way. Most American Big Media Enterprises (eg Star Trek, Star Wars and all the like minded features) go about this by calling these things something else but SF literature/books have a good reputation for calling things for what they are. If we can find a property that deals with that...I would buy it as a way of darkening up my Traveller Universe.

Space: 1999

Gundam

John Scalzi's Old Man's War universe

Allen Steele's Coyote and Near Space universes

H. G. Well's War of the Worlds setting in which the Martians learn some basic biology and survive while the humans learn some Martian tech to fight back in a steampunk war landscape.

captainjack23 said:
UFO.

No, really. Stop laughing. I liked it.

So did I... so did I.

Alright, since a lot of the good choices hvae gone, I'll wobble off into a different direction...

X-Com (the first version...)(or in Britian I thought it was called UFO Defender...)

Take care

E. Herdan

lastbesthope said:
captainjack23 said:
UFO.

The old TV show, I loved it.

LBH

Yes, I loved it as well, it was and still is an iconic sci-fi/horror tv series.

Another series of books I would recommend is Anne McCaffrey's Freedom Series of Books.

But one series of book's I would love to convert are Michael Z. Williamson's series of books about The Freehold of Grainne.

Emperor Herdan said:
captainjack23 said:
UFO.

So did I... so did I.

Alright, since a lot of the good choices hvae gone, I'll wobble off into a different direction...

X-Com (the first version...)(or in Britian I thought it was called UFO Defender...)

Take care

E. Herdan

UFO
X-COM UFO Defense
Main difference was making it in English only and some graphics
There is an international version, you can tell if you have it by when you start a game, you select your language

X-COM Terror from the Deep
Underwater but other than the graphics and one slight change combat the same as UFO Defense (IMO these should be just one game)

X-COM Apocalypse
Much better graphics, farther down the time line, aliens from another dimension, and collateral damage would get you into political trouble.

X-COM Intercepter
Space fighters, Not as good as a game (IMO) in the X-COM titles, but a decent game outside of that. Lots of space shooting up

X-COM Enforcer
First person shooter, Aracde style, I personaly hated it, but I love X-COM so i do own it.

Dave Chase

Dave Chase said:
X-COM UFO Defense
Main difference was making it in English only and some graphics
There is an international version, you can tell if you have it by when you start a game, you select your language

Called X-Xom ENemy Unknown this side of the Atlantic I believe, I have it.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
waylandson said:
lastbesthope said:
The old TV show, I loved it.

LBH

Yes, I loved it as well, it was and still is an iconic sci-fi/horror tv series.

Interesting, I wouldn't have said horror, but well, YMMV

LBH

wow....first I discover the other two Luther Arkwright fans, then I meet others who aint afraid to admit they liked UFO !

And who says the internet isn't a good thing, if it lets all us outlier fanboys connect ! ....oh, right. I guess that's exactly why..... :twisted:

What is not to love about UFO? I mean, it is obvious that SHADO's moonbase grew into Moon Base Alpha since they were both Gerry Anderson Productions...

UFO is top! And the best theme tune ever. Now that would be excellent material for a reboot-cum-sequel...

There is also a pretty nifty fan-made X-Com update out over on SourceForge. Worth checking out.

Actually, there's several.

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=x-com

Back