Favourite (possibly unrealistic) setting to convert?

Gaidheal

Mongoose
I'm wondering what settings other people would ideally like to see converted / adapted to Traveller, whether from film, literature or even computer games; ignore any legal hurdles, but don't bother with those already slated. I'm going to throw out the few running around my head right now:

Braben's & Bell's Elite universe, preferrably the original with the eight galaxies and planets inhabited by intelligent felines.

Bioware's Mass Effect universe, nuff said.

The background setting for Psygnosis' Hired Guns game; it managed to seem very dark and interesting and there was a huge amount of paper material, compared to the half-arsed manuals of today's games, all too often included as a PDF on the disc.

Over to you...

Armageddon 2089, just because I love the game so much from the old D20 days.

But that's ebcause it's a pet love of mine I'd come up with another answer of something else later if I think about it more carefully.

LBH

Battlestar Galactica Original Series. People will get jaded and coloured by the new series.

Dark Horse's Star Wars Alternative Extended Universe

A Near Future spy/cop drama that lead up to the development of the Terran Jump Drive akin to Star*Cops.

A sourcebook dealing with the time of the Ancients from the pre-Jump civilization to the Final War with all the different races that inhabited Chartered Space and beyond.

I'd like to see some books done - many of these could be done with single source books:

Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet Series
Mike Shepard's Kris Longknife series
Ken Kato's Yamato series
Stephen Kent's Clone Republic series
Drake's Honor Harrington Series
Harry Harrison's To the Stars Trilogy
EC Tubb's Dumerest of Terra series
Geo Proctor's Shadowman
David Brin's Uplift series

That's only the ones in my library I can think of off the top of my head.

Oh, and there is one webcomic out there I think deserves a Traveller source book, too - unfortunately, it's on hiatus right now, but it's Crimson Dark - http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/index.php?view=comic

1. Jerry Pournelle/Larry Niven's Codominium/Empire books.

Ought to be easy since one of the characters in Falkenberg's Mercenary Legion's (Sgt Major Calvin) stats could be found in the original Mercenary LBB (if not Mercenary, then one of the other LBBs). Love to see the universe fleshed out via maps etc.

2. H. Beam Piper's Space Viking

Again, ought to be easy since Traveller's Sword Worlds (in name at least) were inspired by Piper's Sword Worlds. I'd just like to see a history of the System States war, etc.

kafka said:
Battlestar Galactica Original Series.
You mean the one with the Space Mormons from Planet Egypt? :D

Oh no, please no. Are you serious? I didn't like those alternate EU stories. :(

I was reminded recently of Andromeda, which frankly seems to bear a few resemblances to Traveller. the navy being referred to as the High Guard, the fall of civilisation and the intervening dark times called The Long Night. I don't know if it's popular enough with people to warrant a setting conversion though. (I never really watched the show; I couldn't get Kevin Sorbo as Hercules out of my head. If they had only gotten a better actor...)

I'll second Dune and Blakes 7 and throw in a Blade Runner and Firefly. But that's the thing about Traveller. You can do all these things on different planets, subsectors or sectors all within the same game. :D

p.s. And also Babylon 5

For a while...a few years ago, I was going to write a RPG for Peter F. Hamilton's 'Night's Dawn Trilogy'. I didn't intend to use Traveller mechanics, but it's likely that anything I did wouldn't have been strongly influenced by Traveller../

I did some designs for it, if you're not familiar with the books - http://www.lucasdigital.plus.com/nightsdawn/

Halo - as in the XBox games. It's a solid setting with an interesting adversary, and a 'just-right' feel to the tech level (IMO).

CJ Cherryh's Chanur books. Heck, how about the entire Company/Alliance and Chanur universe.... They are all supposed to be tied together anyway.

This would also be pretty easy to do. Most ships would be J1 with the rare J2 and only the aliens having J3.

I would suggest (in no particular order):
The Confederation series by Tanya Huff - the Valor books with SSgt Kerr
The Peacekeeper series by Laura E. Reeve
The Commonwealth books by Alan Dean Foster - I highly desire this
Star Risk Ltd. and Last Legion series by Chris Bunch
The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois Bujold
A Talent For War, Polaris and Seeker by Jack McDevitt (the guy would be a better writer if he could make better endings)
The Reaches series by David Drake
and most highly desired:
Royal Cinnabar Navy series/i], also by David Drake

Stofsk said:
Oh no, please no. Are you serious? I didn't like those alternate EU stories. :(

I was reminded recently of Andromeda, which frankly seems to bear a few resemblances to Traveller. the navy being referred to as the High Guard, the fall of civilisation and the intervening dark times called The Long Night. I don't know if it's popular enough with people to warrant a setting conversion though. (I never really watched the show; I couldn't get Kevin Sorbo as Hercules out of my head. If they had only gotten a better actor...)

I like the DH SW stuff, though I would suggest going more with the novels and such ... except that WEG did it 10 years ago.

And I liked Kevin Sorbo as the Captain in Andromeda. To me he fit the role well (... okay, not perfectly though).
[/b]

Back