Favorite REH Conan quotes

Yogah of Yag

Mongoose
What's your favorite REH Conan quote?
For example, the quote of Yokiboy:

There is always a way, if the desire be coupled with courage.
- The Tower of the Elephant

and mine below...

'Barbarism is the natural state of mankind,' the borderer said, still staring somberly at the Cimmerian. 'Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph.'
-Beyond the Black River

A great ending to a great story!

The one in my signature! OK, it's not CONAN, but Solomon Kane. Yes, it's racistic, too, but nonetheless a powerful sentence. One of the most powerful I read from REH (and I read up to now a lot - even his comedian western stories! :wink: )

Great story and even better quote:

"He was a man," said Conan. "I drink to his shade, and to the shade of the dog, who knew no fear." He quaffed part of the wine, then emptied the rest upon the floor, with a curious heathen gesture, and smashed the goblet. "The heads of ten Picts shall pay for his, and seven heads for the dog, who was a better warrior than many a man."
----- Beyond the Black River-----

Strom said:
Great story and even better quote:

"He was a man," said Conan. "I drink to his shade, and to the shade of the dog, who knew no fear." He quaffed part of the wine, then emptied the rest upon the floor, with a curious heathen gesture, and smashed the goblet. "The heads of ten Picts shall pay for his, and seven heads for the dog, who was a better warrior than many a man."
----- Beyond the Black River-----

Pouring part of a drink on the earth is something I have seen in rap/hip-hop music videos. Who knew that Howard started something common to Gansta Culture?! :lol:

Pouring part of a drink on the earth is something I have seen in rap/hip-hop music videos. Who knew that Howard started something common to Gansta Culture?!

:lol: :lol:

Conan is mentioned in a 50-cent song! Full circle! 8)

Strom said:
Pouring part of a drink on the earth is something I have seen in rap/hip-hop music videos. Who knew that Howard started something common to Gansta Culture?!

:lol: :lol:

Conan is mentioned in a 50-cent song! Full circle! 8)

"Patiently Waiting", if my research serves me correctly:

"50 fear no man warrior/Swing swords like Conan"

I'm surprised, since rappers are more likely to quote or reference the film Scarface.

From "The Hour of the Dragon" as REH describes the plague sweeping Belverus:

"The victim's body turned purple and then black, and within a few minutes he sank down dying, and the stench of his own putrefaction was in his nostrils even before death wrenched his soul from his rotting body."

That is just good stuff...

Mongoose Old Bear said:
"Who dies first?"

the wounded tiger could still deal death...

I like that passage a lot. That story is definitely one of my favourites. All the quotes in the core book and the supplements that illustrate the rules/feats/races/classes and everything are really great, they put you right in context. I'll sure be back with others when I get my hands on the books...

Of that epoch known by the Nemedian Chronicles at the PreCataclysmic Age, littlle is know except the latter part and that is veiled in the mists of legendry. Known history begins with the waning of the Pre-Cataclysmic civilization...
The Hyborian Age

With all the signs I just wonder whether this can be true.

Strom said:
Mongoose Old Bear said:
"Who dies first?"

I love this quote as well. The descriptive text describing King Conan right before he saids this is epic Howard!

For me it just sums Conan up perfectly. Savage, brutal, remorseless. Then again, I am something of a romantic... :wink:

The Grey God passes, and we too are passing, though we have conquered. The days of the twilight come on amain, and a strange feeling is upon me as of a waning age. What are we all, too, but ghosts waning into the night?

from The Grey God Passes

"...Free my hands and I'll varnish this floor with your brains!" (The Scarlet Citadel)

"Crom!" his mighty shoulders twitched. "A murrain of these wizardly feuds! Pelias has dealt well with me, but I care not if I see him no more. Give me a clean sword and a clean foe to flesh it in. Damnation! What would I not give for a flagon of wine!" (The Scarlet Citadel)

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." (The Tower of the Elephant)

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" (Shadows in Zamboula)

"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?" - "I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." (Beyond the Black River)

all found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_the_Barbarian

René said:
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." (The Tower of the Elephant)

all found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_the_Barbarian
This one is as excellent as it is true. Times are changing though because it seems retaliating head blows are more and more frequent (at least in Europe).

Back