Falling & range penalties

A

Anonymous

Can someone point me to the right section in the Conan book for
1) Falling damage, and
2) Range penalties for thrown/missile weapons please.
I don't seem to be able to find them.

They may not be there, as I know many people have been substituting rules here and there from D&D, but as a stand alone game, this sort of thing really should be covered as not everyone (me!) has other d20 games or D&D.

Thanks in advance
Ralph

For those who want the added material but don't wish to buy D&D, I suggest downloading the SRD from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35.

I, for one, am thankful to have my D&D books to help fill in the gaps. That SRD link will help those that need this info.

As for missing rules - anyone find these in the Conan book?

Damage from starvation
Damage from hot/cold environments
Damage from suffocation

A description of the fatigued status.
How about exhausted?

If anyone finds these in the Conan book, please post the page numbers and sections. I may have missed them, but I am easily finding them in the 3.5 rules for now.
Thanks

Odovacar's Ghost said:
Where in the SRD can I find choking on a meatball? Or choking on a steak sandwich?

That's on the next update. But it'll depend on whether it's beef or dragon meatballs.

To be honest I was a bit annoyed that so many needed bits of info from the SRD were missing from the Conan rules.

For Example:
When presenting a feat like Eyes of the Cat, the rules never explain that dim or shadowy light penalizes characters without the feat with a 20% miss chance.

I really enjoy the game but am disappointed that the book is not a stand-alone product. Mongoose, hopefully, will correct these oversights in the 2nd Printing (which I eagerly anticipate). Other than the missing SRD info and abundant errata, the game rocks.

Happy Gaming,
Tiberias of Aquilonia

Yeah, environmental stuff really needs to be included in the main Conan book, e.g., lighting conditions, suffocation effects, falling damage, etc.

Tiberias of Aquilonia said:
To be honest I was a bit annoyed that so many needed bits of info from the SRD were missing from the Conan rules.

The Conan book weighs in at a hefty 352 pages and includes setting information, GM advice and monsters.

The PHB alone is 317 pages and the DMG another 320 for a combined total of 637 pages with no setting information or monsters.

Something had to go. Although I am sometimes peeved at the poor profreading/editing I am quite satisfied with their decisions on what SRD material to include and what material to leave out. The game is very playable as is with just the one book and if/when you need the more esoteric stuff you can easily access the SRD if you don't already have the rules memorized. Besides, Conan's target audience isn't really d20 newbies anyway.

Not to mention that part of the reason for having the SRD in the first place is so that other game publishers don't have to reprint the entire core rules every time they want to release a new setting. I don't think Mongoose messed up here at all.

argo said:
Something had to go. Although I am sometimes peeved at the poor profreading/editing I am quite satisfied with their decisions on what SRD material to include and what material to leave out. The game is very playable as is with just the one book and if/when you need the more esoteric stuff you can easily access the SRD if you don't already have the rules memorized. Besides, Conan's target audience isn't really d20 newbies anyway.

Not to mention that part of the reason for having the SRD in the first place is so that other game publishers don't have to reprint the entire core rules every time they want to release a new setting. I don't think Mongoose messed up here at all.

It has been playable for experienced d20/OGL gamers since they can fill in the numerous gaps and make educated guesses regarding unclear rules, but for a new player wanting to enjoy a game set in Conan's world, I feel sorry for them. The Defense Value issue alone was enough to confuse even experienced players as to how to run combat properly - which is central to a Conan game.

Mutants and Masterminds is a thin 192 pages compared to Conan and manages to contain basically all it needs to get players in the game (super powers and all). All the rules mentioned here (environmental hazards, condition summaries, falling and range penalties, etc.) that are missing are in there, and easily found in the book and in the index. That part is not hard to do and does not take up that much space.

If Conan was not for newbies, then Mongoose may want to be a little more clear in marketing itself as such. If they wish other rule information to be found elsewhere, I think they should reference that and point people in the right direction. It is just the responsible thing to do as a game publishing company.

I love the Conan game and am happy to see Mongoose run with it, but I have to disagree with the "mess up" issue. The thing just needed more work and my fingers are crossed that the 2nd printing will be what the 1st printing should have been.

I really wish Mongoose the best on their work and am happy to see them working hard to present us with a better and more complete game book.

Back