Experience system

newtraveller said:
Anyone use one?

It's one of the things that has always distinguished Traveller from other RPGs: you start with a fully-formed mature character, and it's not expected that you'll get "levels", or advance in skills much at all. "Advancement" is by other means: contacts, riches, equipment, for example.

Goals should be character-based, not advancement-based. There are (admittedly sketchy) rules for training in the basic rulebook.

Even T20 appreciated this about the background, starting characters with plenty of skills and stuff, and not really expecting a fat lot of progression on terms of XP.

"Experience" as it's usually awarded in advancement-focused games really doesn't make any sense in most TUs: a mission completed without any combat whatsoever is not unusual.

I'm going to use the training rules from the RAW but replace weeks needed to EXP's needed. I'm going to start with 1 EXP per session and adjust from there if needed.

For Example: PC has 10 total skill levels and wants to increase one of his skills from 2 to 3. Per RAW, 10 + 3 = 13 weeks of training necessary.

EXP method: 13 EXP necessary (13 sessions at 1 EXP per session).

I made one for MTU....
get 1-6 xp at the end of a 'adventure chapter' that can be spent to 1) shorten the number of weeks to train up/learn a new skill (as described in the core book) and/or 2) give a +1 per xp spent for any roles needed to learn a skill.

I tried to keep it as simple as I could and playable.

I'm sticking with the book on this part. My players actually LIKE the idea that the overall goal is to make money, find adventure, and that they have to actually train to improve their characters...

Not that there is anything wrong with creating an experiance system, but it's not for my group.

I do like the idea of giving points that can be spent to replace X weeks of training for a new/improved skill.

You could think of the training system in the book as gaining 1 experience point for each day your character manages to stay alive.

I had contemplated an adventure where some characters would be 18 years old with no career or skills other than their home world skills. The young age was because of the plot I had in mind but this thread got me to thinking.

Most RPGs with experience systems start you at L0 or L1 with almost no skills/abilities/career.

Using the rules as written, starting your character young would give a feeling similar to an experience system where you gain abilities quickly at first, and slower as you gain 'experience'.

There is not a lot of details on training in the rules. One of the many possibilities would be if you have a task roll using a skill it could count as training 'on the job'. Perhaps for higher skill levels you need to attempt higher difficulty tasks. Maybe attempting and succeeding at a higher difficulty task reduces the number of days (or xps) needed to train. How about using effect in some way? Many different possibilities to give that gaining experience feel while still using the system as written in the book.

Please note I have not play tested any of this.

Back