erratta Hyperion class

Wulfhere

Mongoose
any chance to get a erratta as a free download for the Hyperion class with the bridge on the right place ? :?:

Actually the bridge isn't a problem - it Really is in the bowels of the ship; the round thing with the sensor dish at the top is more of an observation deck (logical if you remember the Hyperion IS a warship, and wouldn't put it's most important place where every lowly fighter could shoot it off... also the few Hyperion bridge shots didn't show any viewports at all, further cementing that one).

The other things however... sensor arrays labeled as weapons, weapon turrets lebeled as docking ports... in this instance the CEE game did a bit better - their Hyperion is not only a lot more correct, but also a beauty to look at...
OTOH - so what - you can't expect tzhem to get Everything perfect at their first try... :wink: they did get a better percentage then other games IMO.

(Note to Mongoose - track down some better artists!)

I think the Omega's Bridge is off. Not the Hyperions.

Pretty nitpicky though as the book is soooo great overall.

I think the bridges of both ships are off, but it makes more sense for the Hyperion bridge to be buried in the core of the ship.

I put the primary bridge up in the saucer when I did my Hyperion layout, and put the secondary bridge in the center of the main hull.

I was thinking that the saucer bridge would be more for navigation than fire control, which would actually be done out of its own area.

If you want, I can put up the CorelDRAW file of my Hyperion graphic, so that you can edit it.

Jon Acheson

ShadowScout said:
Actually the bridge isn't a problem - it Really is in the bowels of the ship; the round thing with the sensor dish at the top is more of an observation deck (logical if you remember the Hyperion IS a warship, and wouldn't put it's most important place where every lowly fighter could shoot it off... also the few Hyperion bridge shots didn't show any viewports at all, further cementing that one).

While I can't fault your logic, many Babylon 5 ships do have the bridge in a semi-exposed position. Take the White Star, for instance, or B5 itself. The writeups I've seen of the Olympus corvette also have its bridge sticking out the side of the ship. So, there is some precedent.

One other point: I've toured the WWII battleship New Jersey, which is moored just across the river from where I live. Unlike Star Trek bridges, which have all the controls for everything, the New Jersey's bridge seems to have been purely for steering the ship, with navigation, fire control and communications located elsewhere in the ship. The bridge was not heavily armored, but the fire control area was like a vault.

On the third hand, Babylon 5 bridges seem to be somewhat centralized like Star Trek bridges, for dramatic purposes.

Jon Acheson

Not to divert the flow of discussion here . . . but . . .

Recently my players have asked what non-shift activities they could do while on a hyperion cruiser. I came up with a Rec room, Pilots lounge, Vid Room, Comm center, Exercise room, meeting with other pilots for some gambling, a chapel, and various groups that do 'fun' activies while off duty. Meet in rooms to roleplay, bible study, etc.

Any other ideas? I need more NPC interaction so they will care about the ship they serve on and the crew.

Thanks,
PsyJack

I've always been under the impression that a Hyperion was semi-cramped, yes it does have some room to work with but it's not infinite. As far as what you can put in a Hyperion I think that's about it, and even then some of the rooms will have to pull double duty in order to have that many separate activities.

Yeah, your prolly right . . .I just need to pump up the NPC interaction and maybe introduce a love intrest or two . . .

Thanks,
PsycloneJack

Best way to get people to care about their ship is to have it come under attack, they get jumped by pirates that are feelin their oats and there you go.

Oh by the way which Hyperion variant are they on?

Hmm Well, I put them in prototype Nova Starfuries, They are on the Promethius, and as far as variant I don't have my notes in front of me, but Go by date. The year we are in is 2230. Its the one that falls there. IIRC its the second one listed. It was fun developing a chart of possible system failures if they push the machines. Anytime they do a manuever over DC15 I roll on the chart.

As far as coming under attack, it happened already and they cared more about themselves than the main ship. That and who had the most kills. Thus the reason I felt need to develop a bond between them and the ship. Course it takes time, and them understanding the ship isn't another dungeon to crawl through. Sigh, its been fun trying to convert hack and slashers.

PsyJack

Just an idea, but maybe have them out in their starfuries when the ship needs to make an emergency jump for some reason. Teach them the true meaning of "short-range vessel" and they might have more time to think about the fate of their Hyperion. They should of course be rescued just in time before their air runs out, or something worse happens, but my guess is that they'll never take the ship they land on for granted again! :lol: :shock:

Have fun!

Yeah the idea of them being stranded is a good one, and as far as the variant, it sounds like an Alpha or a Beta, something real early.

Sounds like an Alpha - the Beta was a missile cruiser, with extra ammo in place of the fighters, while the gamma was an assault ship with shuttles and marines instead of Starfuries...

Yup Its an Alpha, All guns, no Missiles. And for my game I pumped the number of Fighters on the Ship to 18. That would be 3 flights of 6, and that makes a good shift rotation for pilots and mantaince on the fighter wings. I figured the Standard flight rotation shift would be 4 hours on, and 8 hours off.

I am also glad that the Earth Force Book covered a bit of the Dilgar War in its history, as well as added some facts not found in any prior supplement. Such as the Admiral's Name and the names of some ships that were lost. Justifies me buying it even more :)

PsyJack

I just thought of a way to get the players to care about the ship they're on, if you can do it without killing off all the PCs as they are now you could make them part of the ships crew and in combat give them quick stats for various gunners.

It's an idea if nothing else.

Back