Empires of the Hyborian Age - August 2009

Strom

Mongoose
Just read the annual report "State of Mongoose - 2008" by Matt Sprange. He talks about some books to look forward to in 2009 including Hyborian Empires - a book that was originally suppose to come out in 2007.

The original description for Hyborian Empires was:

Hyborian Empire (MSRP $29.95), a full color, 160-page hardcover that will allow players to overthrow an existing government, take over the throne and run the kingdom

Not sure if the above is still completely accurate...but I'm glad to see H.E. finally back on the schedule! 8)

Hey Strom! (hope you're doing well)

I opened a thread a loooong time ago to ask if this book would be released. If it's what we expected back then, I'm glad too! 8)

May be it will be released at the same time as the boardgame Age of Conan. So if one doesn't like the game, perhaps this sourcebook will help us enhance the boardgame's rules.

I am also pleased there will be other campaigns for Conan (as well as short adventures it seems)

Mongoose has published a date for the now accurately retitled Empires of the Hyborian Age for August 2009. 8)

There's this. It was on the internet, so it must be true:

"There is something irresistible in the golden allure of ruler-ship. Many characters in the Conan saga have sought power, such as Thoth-amon, Khemsa, the Devi, Yezdigerd, Tarascus and Conan himself. Players also seek out power – and this sourcebook is designed to help them do just that.
Empires of the Hyborian Age is a high level supplement for Conan the Roleplaying Game that will allow players to overthrow an existing government, take ruler-ship, and then run the kingdom, getting involved in national crises, diplomatic messes and, of course, wars. Nobles and nations each have will of their own. Each noble reacts to the influences exerted on it, either by other nobles or by the players directly. The resulting series of reactions creates the story – and this sourcebook details many of the reactions and counter-reactions possible.

Size: 128 pages, Softcover
Interior Art: Black & White
Author: Vincent Dalarge"

I think the last 3 words are the important part.

WeakAsAKhitan said:
There's this. It was on the internet, so it must be true:

Let's hope so.

I've been toying with that idea of a large council making decisions by majority voting and trying to find some fancy mechanics to perform it. It's a tricky matter, though, and for the time being I simply use the "narrated" proceedings. My guess is there's too many factors involving politics in that form to roll it.

Still, I'm waiting to see what the MGP comes up with.

Mongoose has posted the cover & info for Empires of the Hyborian Age:

conanempires.jpg

Empires of the Hyborian Age

Author: Vincent Darlage
Series: Conan

Price: $24.95
Format: Softback (120 pages)
Shipping date: August 2009
Ref: ISBN 978-1-906508-57-9 | MGP7818

There is something irresistible in the golden allure of rulership. Many characters in the Conan saga have sought power, such as Thoth-amon, Khemsa, the Devi, Yezdigerd, Tarascus and Conan himself. Players also seek out power – and this sourcebook is designed to help them do just that.

Hyborian Age Empires is a high level supplement for Conan the Roleplaying Game that will allow players to overthrow an existing government, take rulership, and then run the kingdom, getting involved in national crises, diplomatic messes and, of course, wars. Nobles and nations each have will of their own. Each noble reacts to the influences exerted on it, either by other nobles or by the players directly. The resulting series of reactions creates the story – and this sourcebook details many of the reactions and counter-reactions possible.

Looks like Nathan Furman's work on the cover art - I like it! Great job Nate! 8)

Plus Vincent Darlage work! Sweet! 8)

Yeah, I like the cover content, just not the style. I will be getting this book though. Well, who am I kidding, I buy every Conan book. But this one will make good endgame fodder if my campaign lasts another 3-4 years and the PCs make it to 20th level. :twisted:

This is a book I'll buy for sure. The cover is very much better than that crap from warriors and thiefs companions, and Vicent's content is always nice to have.

Back