Empire

Tom Kalbfus

Mongoose
Empire is a space colony set in the mid 22nd century (TL 8) before there was grav plating or the Jump Drive, basically everything rotates for gravity or accelerates, this is a continuation from Merc Cruiser.

wbnc said:
Tom Kalbfus said:
Much as water towers were mistaken for "invading Martians" during the 1938 radio play by Orson Welles "War of the Worlds!" However shooting one of those LNG tanks would be much more disastrous than shooting a water tower!

I plan on using a version of the Merc Cruiser for my tech level 8 Solar System, it is one of the few ships who's deck plans are laid up in the direction of its acceleration.

The original Broadsword Class Mercenary Cruiser
Origin: Third Imperium
Tech Level: 12
Size: 800 tons
Jump: J-3
Thrust: 3-G
Hardpoints: 8
Cargo: 80 tons
Crew: 8
Passengers: 11 High/Med 0 Low
Cost: MCr285

My Mercenary Cruiser
Origin: The United States of America
Tech Level: 8
Size 800 tons
Jump: None
Thrust: 3-G for 7 hours (21 G-Hours), using 30% of the ship's hull volume in reaction mass.
Hardpoints: 8
Cargo: to be determined
Crew: 8
Passengers: 11 High/Med 11 Low
Cost: To be determined
I added some low berths, the ship can run on automatic, and the high G maneuvering wouldn't matter to people in low berths. For a more comfortable Journey, this Merc Cuiser can accelerate for a total of 21 hours at 1-G, this can get you anywhere in the Solar System.

depends on what you are shooting it with :D the average pistol or light rifle will just plink off those things.Lucky for everyone....Some people in Louisiana will shoot at anything.

i like the idea of yer Ship. Not bad for in system travel. In reality, a 1G ship is not at all slow for getting around a star system. especially if it can burn its drives for hours instead of minutes.

A ship with low berths for passengers and crew , with a two or three man duty watch is a concept I like to use for low tech scenarios. it gives the Ref a chance to do some sneaky plot stuff while the party is on ice. such as waking up and finding the watch crew dead, or missing.
spec_sheet___island_3_by_glennclovis-d5jj93n.jpg

This is what I'd be using it with. There is another vehicle that goes with this, it is called a Commuter Sphere, like a Mercenary Cruiser it has a spherical hull, but it is designed to take commuters from one O'Neill Cylinder to another, These Cylinders are often paired and rotate in opposite directions to cancel out the Gyroscopic effect so both can remain pointed at the Sun. A commuter sphere has a cabin full of seats, and it has life support to keep them alive through the short journey from one O'Neill Cylinder to its mate. The Commuter Sphere lies nestled in an inverted bowl-shaped docking port, under the floor of the Southern hemispheric end cap just behind the hinges of the giant primary mirrors (To avoid colliding with them when the sphere is released!) When the sphere is release at the right moment it will continue on a straight line through space between the cylinders matching velocity with the underside of the opposing cylinder and undergoing a 180 rotation in space enroute, to meet up with the docking port of the destination Cylinder and lock in space. The Doors meet, and seal is formed and commuters will egress from the Commuter sphere. It just so happens that a Mercenary Cruiser can also dock with a Commuter Sphere port. The main difference is the Merc Cruiser has a fusion engine, which can be used to get anywhere around the Solar System, while the Commuter Sphere is designed just to make the short trip between cylinders, it has some reaction control thrusters to adjust its journey between the cylinders if necessary, but that is all. Mercenary Cruisers can be used as part of this O'Neill Colony's defense force. I got a name for this particular colony I have in mind, its called "Empire", one Cylinder is called the Metropolis Cylinder the other is called Suburbia. The Metropolis Cylinder is dominated by an island in one of its three valleys, modeled after Manhattan Island, it has tall skyscrapers on it, and a rectangular grid of numbered streets and 12 avenues arranged longitudinally. The Valley with the Island is called "Manhattan" the other two are called "Queens", and "Jersey". The Suburban Cylinder has three valleys modeled after Westchester, Fairfield, and Orange Counties. The Climate modeled in each Cylinder is that of 45 degrees North on the Eastern coast of North America.
Map-of-the-Americas-1996.jpg

The colony is orbiting in Geosynchronous Orbit above where Columbia, Ecuador, and Peru meet in South America, it is in the same time zone as its terrestrial counterpart, New York City, and it uses Eastern Standard time for its mirror movements with day lengths that are seasonally adjusted to reflect different seasons of the Earth. Metropolis and Suburbia experience opposite seasons from each other.

This is from the other thread Tech Level 8 Solar System:
This is the Island Three or O'Neill Cylinder as its often called.
Ch05p066.gif

This will give a sense of the scale, and how the Sun appears to move as the day advances.
o_neill_cylinder_ray_diagram_by_tomkalbfus-dadxte2.png

The end of the mirror experiences 13.5-Gs in the bottom diagram, obviously the mirrors have to be made of very strong and light weight material, probably carbon composites with a coat of aluminum on it.
The main difference between Empire and these illustrations, is that the agro cylinder ring has a radius of 36 miles, so that it is wider than the mirrors when fully extended. The agro cylinder ring rotates ever so slightly to keep the ring taught, however within the agro cylinders, this is hardly felt at all as each agro cylinder measures a mile in circumference and rotates individually for gravity within.

Ah now we can discuss this in detail :)

I like the idea of two mated Cylinders counterrotating to stabilize the entire system. I'd even think a third smaller Zero Gee section would be a good add, for manufacturing/docking and warehousing etc... So there would be "the city," "the burbs", and "the docks"...

Off the top of my head, one possible configuration would be something like this.....
empire_rough_by_wbyrd-dae4jwp.png

This would be a neat project, but lord would it be detailed and time consuming..not at all a casual project.

How many O'Neill cylinders are there in your setting?

Does your O'Neill cylinder orbits the Earth meaning its still inhabitable?

Is the O'Neill Cylinder the "throne" of your Empire?

Are we talking a take on the Gundam universe or do you have another inspiration for this setting?

Hopeless said:
How many O'Neill cylinders are there in your setting?

Does your O'Neill cylinder orbits the Earth meaning its still inhabitable?

Is the O'Neill Cylinder the "throne" of your Empire?

Are we talking a take on the Gundam universe or do you have another inspiration for this setting?
Empire is its name, not what it is. Its a space age version of the New York Tri-State Area, since the name "New York" is already taken, and a name like "New New York" is a bit ridiculous, this colony takes that states nickname, "The Empire State", it is one of the new states in the expanded United States of America Ad Astra. One Cylinder is the metropolitan area, called "Metropolis", the other cylinder is a slice of the suburbs, Westchester, Orange, and Fairfield counties The Population of Metropolis is around 10 million, while Suburbia has a population of 1 million, and consists of houses and yards. After pondering the subject for a while I decided to align the seasons of both cylinders so they experience Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall at the same time according to the Northern Hemisphere Eastern Standard Time. The Cylinders are rather place side by side and rotate in opposite directions rather than single file as your drawing shows. they are spaced 72 miles apart, to allow room for their agro cylinder rings.

Officially each cylinder is 2 miles in radius, takes 1.897 minutes to make a complete rotation, has a spin velocity of 397.42 miles per hour, that means a commuter sphere when released will take 10.87 minutes to reach the opposing cylinder from behind the mirrors.

wbnc said:
Ah now we can discuss this in detail :)

I like the idea of two mated Cylinders counterrotating to stabilize the entire system. I'd even think a third smaller Zero Gee section would be a good add, for manufacturing/docking and warehousing etc... So there would be "the city," "the burbs", and "the docks"...

Off the top of my head, one possible configuration would be something like this.....
empire_rough_by_wbyrd-dae4jwp.png

This would be a neat project, but lord would it be detailed and time consuming..not at all a casual project.
This might work for colony that doesn't use mirrors, the ones orbiting inside the Geosynchronous orbit radius will have too short a period for a 24-hour day, without repeated shadowing by the Earth, some just collect Solar power and provide lighting artificially, others use fusion reactors, which are located in the outer Solar System. Generally at Earth's distance from the Sun, solar power is more reliable, cheaper, and requires less maintenance than fusion reactors. I mean in space ships, fusion reactors can be shut down and receive overhauls, but a solar panel has no moving parts and provides electricity when illuminated, individual panels can be replaced without shutting the whole solar array down, which is a plus. In the outer solar system where fusion reactors are used for colonies, there are usually two, one is the primary power source, and the other is the spare. The fusion reactor that is offline is usually worked on while the spare is providing power for the community, but this arrangement is more expensive than solar panels, which is why it is used in the Outer Solar System, where Solar Energy is not as available.

Tom Kalbfus said:
This might work for colony that doesn't use mirrors, the ones orbiting inside the Geosynchronous orbit radius will have too short a period for a 24-hour day, without repeated shadowing by the Earth, some just collect Solar power and provide lighting artificially, others use fusion reactors, which are located in the outer Solar System. Generally at Earth's distance from the Sun, solar power is more reliable, cheaper, and requires less maintenance than fusion reactors. I mean in space ships, fusion reactors can be shut down and receive overhauls, but a solar panel has no moving parts and provides electricity when illuminated, individual panels can be replaced without shutting the whole solar array down, which is a plus. In the outer solar system where fusion reactors are used for colonies, there are usually two, one is the primary power source, and the other is the spare. The fusion reactor that is offline is usually worked on while the spare is providing power for the community, but this arrangement is more expensive than solar panels, which is why it is used in the Outer Solar System, where Solar Energy is not as available.

Good points....stations in a planets umbra would need to have a fallback power grid, and way out near Saturn or Jupiter you can kiss solar power goodbye...and it has an extra benifit..purely artistic..a sort of snowflake pattern solar array extended beyond the shadow of the three main reflectors is eye-catching...

actually if you alternated reflector panels and solar cells o the main reflectors you would be able to dual purpose the main reflectors. In addition to providing a cover for the transparent sections of the hull if the station was under fire or had to respond to incoming debris....sorry brainstorming a bit.

about the only issue, I could see is the anchors for the reflectors, those things would have to be robust to handle the rotational forces trying to send the reflectors flying off into space.some sort of guywire, or tension net between the ends of the panels would help...

all those little details have to be accounted for in a visual representation...

Okay what's the background story?

How many other O'Neill Cylinders are there as the US one wouldn't be the only one constructed given there's plenty of other countries able to repeat that effort... or can they?

The manpower and resources involved would be tremendous so is the US the only nation having the means even though that shouldn't be the case?

How is the rest of the world effected by this development if its the only one?

Hopeless said:
Okay what's the background story?

How many other O'Neill Cylinders are there as the US one wouldn't be the only one constructed given there's plenty of other countries able to repeat that effort... or can they?

The manpower and resources involved would be tremendous so is the US the only nation having the means even though that shouldn't be the case?

How is the rest of the world effected by this development if its the only one?
It isn't the only O'Neill Cylinder, there are many others, this is just an example I'm working on to give an idea of what the others maybe like Empire is two cylinders 4 miles wide by 20 miles long, 24 miles if you count the end caps. The year is 2163 AD, The first O'Neill Cylinders were build at least half a century ago, so humans have been in space for some time by now. The grunt work in constructing these colonies is done by robots, and robots continue to maintain these structures, the robot workforce is managed by human overseers. The robots aren't self-willed, they are capable of getting around, but they lack motivation unless given a command. the population on Earth is seven billion, the population in space is seven billion. Humans started colonizing space in the 2050s, starting with a Mars colony, people have liven in temporary and permanent bases prior to that time, the first humans to Mars mission occurred by 2030. the United States includes several Latin American countries that are now states, and it includes the states of Columbia, Peru, and Equador, about 50% of the US Population consists of native Spanish speakers at this time, this has developed through both immigration and the acquisition of additional territory, the US flag has more than 50 stars on it, the precise number has yet to be determined, but some of those states are in space, several are on Mars.

As far as Europe is concerned, I don't know, what would be your suggestion, since you come from there? Russia is a pluralistic democratic Republic by now, it has taken a rocky road to get there through several dictatorships along the way after the fall of Communism Australia is heavily irrigated, and has a population of around 350 million, India's population has dropped to around 400 million, not counting its colonies in space.

AC75-1921f.jpeg

This is more like the Empire Cylinder. I am currently drawing a map of the City, it is an elongated straighter version of Manhattan.

Back