Elric of Melnibone contents?

andakitty

Mongoose
Could the author(s) post some idea of what all is in this upcoming book? If not an actual preview, then just a general outline of the contents would do. Especially, how much rules related content will there be, things like the demon summoning and other magic rules as compared to the RQ1 rulebooks, but also any other mechanics oriented material. I would like to know in order to tell if this will be worth the price to me. It might also help others make a similar determination. Thanks.

I posted this summary on RPGnet last week. I think it answers your questions:

The retooled, RQII compatible Elric of Melnibone includes...

Comprehensive, detailed overview of the Young Kingdoms and Unknown East, plus some of the smaller regions and cities added in later stories.

Comprehensive character creation rules allowing you to play everything from a humble human, through a half or full Melnibonean, or a Karasim, or Pukwadji.

New professions, such as Guerilla Fighter and Wanderer of the Timestreams.

New cultural backgrounds...

Passions formalised into the rules, whith mechanics for things such as 'Really Hate Pan Tang' or 'Really Love Myshella'...

New weapons and equipment, plus new Combat Styles...

A ramping-up of magic. Dream Magic (for Dreamthieves) is beefed-up. Spirit magic/shamanism discussed in detail, and new demon types added. DreamQuesting (ala 'Making of a Sorcerer' and 'Skrayling Tree' is detailed)

New approaches to cults: one may simply dedicate to a power (say Law or Chaos) rather than a specific god. Or one may become an Agent of the Balance...

Comprehensive creature and saga character statistics, all for RQII...

Extensive GM notes...

A chapter dedicated to adventuring in eras before the classic YK setting - and alternative realities, such as if Elric died in infancy and Yyrkoon went on to become emperor. This should those GMs who want a different style or type of Elric campaign (ie, a lighter kind of fantasy or really deep dark an gloomy if you go for the Dharzi War era).

I've made every attempt to make this incarnation of an Elric RPG as complete as possible and as faithful to the books as possible. However the setting and rules are flexible enough for you to take whatever approach you want: canon-heavy or canon-light and still have all the tools necessary for your game. The character options, in particular, should help create some really good, Moorcockian characters: want a Timestream Nomad who fought in the Eshmirian guerilla wars against Kaleg Vogun? Not a problem.

Can you give more detail on the sorcery system?

Are there rules for summoning elemental lords, plant lords and beast lords? If so, how many pages are devoted to these rules? How many pages are devoted to demon summoning?

Also, are there rules for summoning the Lasharr, or does that fall under air elemental summoing?

Are there rules for summoning elemental lords, plant lords and beast lords?

Yes - its handled through the Pact rules and invoking divine intervention. However these relationships are typically the province of Melnibonean emperors and so unlikely to be available to most adventurers.

If so, how many pages are devoted to these rules? How many pages are devoted to demon summoning?

The magic chapter is the largest in the book and clocks in at something like 60 pages. It covers four separate types of magic and although I haven't done a page count for each type, summonings account for more than a third of the chapter.

Also, are there rules for summoning the Lasharr, or does that fall under air elemental summoing?

Lasharr and hashaarns are just very potent air elementals. They are referenced but fall under the elemental summoning rules.

Thanks for the information, I will be giving it serious consideration.

One more thing. I am assuming it will be easy to use a related but simpler game system, such as Openquest or Stormbringer 1 with the book (this is not a deal breaker)?

some points are different (I have RQII, Storm and OpenQ as well) and need changes

but it remains possible, as always

One more thing. I am assuming it will be easy to use a related but simpler game system, such as Openquest or Stormbringer 1 with the book (this is not a deal breaker)?

Its certainly possible. OpenQuest is much closer to RQII than Stormbringer 1 but even then all these games are cut from the same cloth so with a little conversion work you shouldn't encounter too many problems.

OK then, I think you have a sale.

Thank you for going to the trouble of answering my questions in such detail and in such timely fashion. Thank you as well, hegan. :)

The retooled, RQII compatible Elric of Melnibone includes...

Comprehensive, detailed overview of the Young Kingdoms and Unknown East, plus some of the smaller regions and cities added in later stories.

sounds good

Comprehensive character creation rules allowing you to play everything from a humble human, through a half or full Melnibonean, or a Karasim, or Pukwadji.

Again all good, does it include the mulitude of possibilites/"enhancements" for human slaves of the Dragon Isle? Dhazi? Never found much written about them thus far?

New professions, such as Guerilla Fighter and Wanderer of the Timestreams.

New cultural backgrounds...

Passions formalised into the rules, whith mechanics for things such as 'Really Hate Pan Tang' or 'Really Love Myshella'...

Interesting - anything like Spirit of the Century?

New weapons and equipment, plus new Combat Styles...

A ramping-up of magic. Dream Magic (for Dreamthieves) is beefed-up. Spirit magic/shamanism discussed in detail, and new demon types added. DreamQuesting (ala 'Making of a Sorcerer' and 'Skrayling Tree' is detailed)

interesting

New approaches to cults: one may simply dedicate to a power (say Law or Chaos) rather than a specific god. Or one may become an Agent of the Balance...

are you going for all the multiude of Pantheons in the world of Elric (Dead Gods, Grey Lords, Elemntal Rulers) or leaving for later supplments?

Comprehensive creature and saga character statistics, all for RQII...

ok - another version of these then :wink: hopefuly the stat blocks don't take up too much room
Extensive GM notes...

A chapter dedicated to adventuring in eras before the classic YK setting - and alternative realities, such as if Elric died in infancy and Yyrkoon went on to become emperor. This should those GMs who want a different style or type of Elric campaign (ie, a lighter kind of fantasy or really deep dark an gloomy if you go for the Dharzi War era).

Really looking forward to this - any chance of a "what if supplement"

I've made every attempt to make this incarnation of an Elric RPG as complete as possible and as faithful to the books as possible. However the setting and rules are flexible enough for you to take whatever approach you want: canon-heavy or canon-light and still have all the tools necessary for your game. The character options, in particular, should help create some really good, Moorcockian characters: want a Timestream Nomad who fought in the Eshmirian guerilla wars against Kaleg Vogun? Not a problem.

sounds good to me

In response to Da Boss's questions...

Again all good, does it include the mulitude of possibilites/"enhancements" for human slaves of the Dragon Isle? Dhazi? Never found much written about them thus far?

No it doesn't. It would make a good S&P article though. Why not put one together?

Interesting - anything like Spirit of the Century?

Never played it, so I can't comment...

are you going for all the multiude of Pantheons in the world of Elric (Dead Gods, Grey Lords, Elemntal Rulers) or leaving for later supplments?

Most are in Cults of the YK which is coming out soon. However the Dead Gods and Grey Lords are not really usable as cults. Again, something for the future perhaps.

Really looking forward to this - any chance of a "what if supplement"
Perhaps...

Thanks for the replies - appreciated

I'll put the "A treatese on the manipulation of the human form for aeasthetic or pratical usage" on the growing list of projects then! :lol:

Dhazi - any good sources on them - considering their importance in the history information on them seems very sketchy?

8)

Lord High Munchkin said:
The French work on the Dharzi is quite impressive.

I haven't seen this. Is there a reasonable translation available? (Oh, and a link to the French site...)

Ah, I really hoped someone else would answer this, as the material I downloaded (which I think was an earlier version) is on an inaccessible ship...

So, after some quick Google-fu I located it. It's a quite extensive site with many long documents for download.

The following link will get you to the site, after that start digging:

http://mlkronale.free.fr/html/dossierjeu/projets/empires02-v3.0.htm

As I said, it's all in French, which is not an issue for me... but no, it's not been translated.

thanks - I'll check it out and see what I can do -maybe a project for one of the students I employ on seasonal work! :lol:

not sure if babelfish was upto a full translation

l' instar of the Grounds of l' Is, the Kingdoms North Out-Charts are remained unknown Young Kingdoms, and even of l' Worsen of Melniboné, jusqu' at the moment when going down from the Elroltien mounts and covering the grounds of the Master key giving on the region of Bas' lk the Dharzis Lords came to the meeting from the Melnibonéennes troops occupying from l' Eastern empire and faced them. Thus, the chains North did not appear, as much believed it, the walls of l' extreme edge of the world. L' space n' beyond; was thus not formless chaotic matter like was the ground beyond Kaneloon, at times which preceded the arrival by the Champion Aubec de Malador! Few things are known on these grounds because the conflicts which took place between the two empires unrolled only on the grounds of the Young Kingdoms. Moreover, when Melnibonéens, using Runes Vampires, managed to overcome Dharzis, their own power was if qu' weakens; they were folded up on their islands and forsook their colonies leaving them with their fate. They thus did not carry out any forwarding on the Kingdoms North become uninhabited, left grounds with l' abandonment kept by cities, strange fortresses of these nonhuman people, combined animals, exterminated by the black power of the Xénan People… This supplement presents l' history of the Dharzi people, from the city mother jusqu' with the cities girls and her expansion in the Young Kingdoms. It gives also elements on the geography of the grounds of North its flora and its fauna, and on the human people which became servants or slaves of Dharzis. This supplement uses the various data which strew the writings with Mr. Moorcock, but as the information exempted in the supplements already published for Stormbringer or Elric, finally it echoes a certain vision as j' had on this strange people which even made move back the servants of the forces of l' Entropy… This supplement is attached also the legends of the sisters d' Elr' ahaa, Kronale, Tarkarle and Elryale, the désincarnées hearts which invested the weapons which s' to the sword-entities parents emperors of Melniboné opposed. It to you will be also shown the nature of the particular magic of these people which remained foreign in Melnibonéens, the pact between the Lords of the animals and Dharzis, and the characteristics of Dharzis. These last will be useful if the data of this supplement are used upstream l' time of l' Elric emperor, at times of the conflicts of the two empires, but also if the screens of the Balances in these grounds of the Young Kingdoms were to be thwarted by events escaping the principles from those… Because if Melnibonéens think of having exterminated their enemies, he is certain witnesses who could swear to have met in some moved back places of the beings undoubtedly nonhuman, saying himself to belong to the old Dharzis people. D' others, with the fact of the nature of Multivers, would say to you to have crossed representatives of these people affirming to have left the grounds of the Young Kingdoms (and their knowledge of passed of those of it would be an obvious proof). If these witnesses, the serious one on their face, affirmed you that exiled have like project to turn over on their territory and D to found their hegemony on the territories of the Young Kingdoms, qu' it would be your reaction if you reside in these Kingdoms? Where if you are able to choose to cross or not the door in addition to-plans who separate you from these grounds, that will make you then? Reach the Plan of this document or l' Origin of l' Worsen.

link is ok but the site is not really active ...

Da Boss, excuse me but where did you get this "translation" ?
some sentences have no meaning ...

Back