Elric - Gift Enhanced Learning

Big Orc

Mongoose
Enhanced Learning - Results of Improvement Rolls are doubled (thus, a failed Improvement roll means a skill advances by 2 points, successful Improvements improves skill by x2 1D4+1.

The above is quoted from Cults of the Young Kindoms. Does it give the bonus to all skills or just one specific skill?

It gives the bonus to individual improvement rolls depending on the number of dedicated POW points spent on the gift.

1 POW = 1 IR, 3 POW = 2 IR (1 POW for the 1st, 2 POW for the 2nd) and so on. Once you've used the gift I would say it's gone.

Elric CotYK page 6 said:
1 POW for one Improvement Roll; 2 POW for a second, 3 POW for the a third. Thus, an Adventurer who wants 3 enhanced Improvement Rolls must spend 6 POW on this Gift.

DamonJynx said:
It gives the bonus to individual improvement rolls depending on the number of dedicated POW points spent on the gift.

1 POW = 1 IR, 3 POW = 2 IR (1 POW for the 1st, 2 POW for the 2nd) and so on. Once you've used the gift I would say it's gone.

I would say you are reading that wrong. One use for a point of dedicated POW!
It is defining how many skills that the enhanced learning effects.
so:
1 POW dedicated to permanently improve rolls on one skill.
3 POW dedicated to permanently improve rolls on two skills
6 POW dedicated to permanently improve rolls on three skills

Otherwise it's just stupidly expensive on POW for very little return, look at the other gifts.

@Matt_H,

You may be right re your comments that it is a permanent ability i.e. 6 points gives the benefit on 3 IR forever, there are Gifts that are crazy expensive for one off use though. Perhaps Loz could clarify this point.

But I don't think you're right re the IR's applying to the same skills each time. Reading the gift literally it is improvement rolls that gain the benefit, not individual skills. If it were meant to be applied to specific skills the text would say enhanced learning for one skill costs 1 POW and so on, not one IR.

So, I have 3 IR's the first time I use the gift I apply it to say, Close Combat Skill, Language (High Speech) and Runecasting (Reflection). The following use of the skill (provided of course that's how it's meant to work), I might apply it to say Lore (Million Spheres), Influence and Insight.

DamonJynx said:
@Matt_H,

You may be right re your comments that it is a permanent ability i.e. 6 points gives the benefit on 3 IR forever, there are Gifts that are crazy expensive for one off use though. Perhaps Loz could clarify this point.

But I don't think you're right re the IR's applying to the same skills each time. Reading the gift literally it is improvement rolls that gain the benefit, not individual skills. If it were meant to be applied to specific skills the text would say enhanced learning for one skill costs 1 POW and so on, not one IR.

So, I have 3 IR's the first time I use the gift I apply it to say, Close Combat Skill, Language (High Speech) and Runecasting (Reflection). The following use of the skill (provided of course that's how it's meant to work), I might apply it to say Lore (Million Spheres), Influence and Insight.

Damonjynx is right.

Back