EA paint schemes: suggestions?

Chandler

Mongoose
Hi all

I have just got a new EA Third Age Era fleet and am about to make and paint all of the ships. I'm a bit torn about how I want to paint them and what scheme to use though so could anyone suggest some different schemes and maybe post a few pics of fleets.

Thanks in advance!

Chandler

I did mine in dark blue and really dark red top half red bottom blue they actually look quite good. The pics are a bit fuzzy no time to set it up. But its and idea. Its an early EA fleet but its still EA and theres many ships that can be used in both. The other way i've seen is spray it black drybrush silver, highlight little bits with red and its done. Alternatively have a look at court jesters beautiful EA.

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

[/img]

THe obvious response when asked about the colour of a B5 ship:

"It was jet black. A shade of black so deep your eye just kinda slides off it. And it shimmered when you looked at it."

Even if it is a little H2G2 as well :lol:

LBH

lastbesthope said:
THe obvious response when asked about the colour of a B5 ship:

"It was jet black. A shade of black so deep your eye just kinda slides off it. And it shimmered when you looked at it."

Even if it is a little H2G2 as well :lol:

LBH

shame on you for appearing in a ship painting thread. :p :lol:

and that wasn`t an EA ship.

Jal said:
and that wasn`t an EA ship.

I know, that's why I referred to it as a generic B5 ship colour answer.

If Keffer had been smarter he might have lived to see a Shadow Omega and then it would have applied to an EA ship.

LBH

I once had the idea to paint an army motive. Olive, green, brown.. Kinda worked for an old Hyperion. Never got to do it for the rest of the fleet, so can't say if it would fit.. It really says "assault" for a Hyperion though. ;)

@ No. 1 Bear: That's one cool modded Avenger.. You should thank Chandler for giving you the excuse to show it off :lol:

Thats a really good idea actually - makes it look like more of a command ship with all the comms - justifies the +1 command!

I wanted my EA to kind of have a navy look to them, so I just did a couple of dry brushings of codex grey over a black undercoat. Then picked out various prominant bits (gun turrets and the like) with a dark grey.

DSC00074.jpg
[/img]

Most of the EA ships are made for drybrushing, with lots of raised detail.

DSC00077.jpg
[/img]

M1ndr1d3rs said:
I once had the idea to paint an army motive. Olive, green, brown.. Kinda worked for an old Hyperion. Never got to do it for the rest of the fleet, so can't say if it would fit.. It really says "assault" for a Hyperion though. ;)l:

Great idea M1ndr1d3rs, think I will try this when I get around to painting my own assault Hyperions.

Good differentiator on the table as well. Nice One 8) ....... Thanks !

Banichi said:
I wanted my EA to kind of have a navy look to them, so I just did a couple of dry brushings of codex grey over a black undercoat. Then picked out various prominant bits (gun turrets and the like) with a dark grey.
And that, with the addition of the blue stripes on ships like the Hyperion, is pretty much the official scheme. :) Some ships appear darker on screen than others; some folks play up this distinction, painting Omegas near black and Hyperions white. I just used a darker shade of grey for the Omega than for the Hyperion. (In fact, what I used for the Omega's hull was what I used for the Hyperion's turrets.)
Most of the EA ships are made for drybrushing, with lots of raised detail.
And dark washes for the recessed detail.

Decals are also good. EA logos, names, serial numbers; and in some cases, either a large number or the first letter of the name. Other markings, e.g. ships' badges, could be added.

Here are my Hyperion and Omega - Lexington and Agamemnon respectively.

Adding wire arials and running lights to EA ships also greatly helps their appearance.

I always "wire up" my Hyperions and Omegas in particular, very much like those shown above by AdrainH.

Here is one of my Omegas seeing off an alien intruder.

Intrusion.jpg

Bani,

what bases are those for you ships? Im relatively new and the standard ones seem to be falling off all the mini's Im getting and dont look as sturdy.

:shock:

Try searching for 'Rattlehead Games' and their 'Ninja Magic' bases range, they're really good, are cheap and use magnets. They also have really good customer service!

No. 1 Bear said:
What is the other ship in the picture with the omega never seen it before?

Rear view of one of my own scratchbuilt designs, frigate class, from a fleet I am currently creating, between other projects.

Taking up M1ndr1d3rs idea on a "military" colour scheme for an assault Hyperion, going to try;

Dark green overall with black for the command tower and linked top and botton fuselage sections.

Usual silver for the "girder" sections and engines.

To tie it back into the rest of the fleet will probably still use the std Hyperion blue banding, (depending on overall look).

Will post in a few days time.

By the way M1ndr1d3rs would be good to see a photo of your version.

basaint said:
Bani,

what bases are those for you ships? Im relatively new and the standard ones seem to be falling off all the mini's Im getting and dont look as sturdy.

:shock:

The bases I use are just a mix of mongoose supplied, and gw bases. Nothing special. The best thing to do for the the bigger, heavier ships, is to do away with the narrower tip on a plastic base, and drill the hole in the mini (Which, lets face it, you are probably going to have to do anyway) big enough to accept the main stem of the base. This makes the base a lot less likely to snap.

Banichi said:
Nothing special. The best thing to do for the the bigger, heavier ships, is to do away with the narrower tip on a plastic base, and drill the hole in the mini (Which, lets face it, you are probably going to have to do anyway) big enough to accept the main stem of the base. This makes the base a lot less likely to snap.

Spot on Banichi I learned a long time ago, (BFG days) that plastic base pins are not up to the job so I pin, between base and ship, with brass tubing, usually 2mm OD but up to 4mm for ships like the Drakh Mothership & Centauri Adira. (see my pic above)

If I transported my fleets a lot I would instead definitely use the Ninja Magic system suggested by Chandler since still gives strong support but allows for ship removal from base with min space packing & protection for the minis during transit.

Kickaha said:
Taking up M1ndr1d3rs idea on a "military" colour scheme for an assault Hyperion, going to try;

Dark green overall with black for the command tower and linked top and botton fuselage sections.

Usual silver for the "girder" sections and engines.

To tie it back into the rest of the fleet will probably still use the std Hyperion blue banding, (depending on overall look).

Will post in a few days time.

By the way M1ndr1d3rs would be good to see a photo of your version.

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera. The only photos I've posted here were done by my college friend, and I have since moved :(

However, here's a tank with a scheme similar to what i was aiming for
sws20tank2008.jpg

So imagine a cruder, less well blended version of it on a Hyperion.. No vaunted blue stripes, metallic grey for the "girder" and engine block. That's it.

Back