Dwarven Gunman of Bor

Krug

Mongoose
Am going to play a Dwarven Gunman of Bor in a PBP campaign. Any advice on playing them? More background on Bor? The Rulebook hasn't reached my part of the woods yet...

I'm going to add on to that with some more explicit questions.

1) Is there a comparative height mentioned for these "dwarves" anywhere? I've just started going through the books again (I'm going to be running at least one single-character campaign) and I can't remember what books these guys feature very prominently in (Banedon's airship, but that's about it). The RPG book seems to suggest they're probably something like 4.5 to 5 feet, just kinda shorter humans (probably close to the illustrations in the D&D 3E handbooks).

2) Is there ever any statement of whether or not these are the typical "miner" dwarves? Lots of tunnels chasing veins of ore through their mountain homes, et cetera. Magnamund dwarves are very clearly more technologically-bent than Tolkien's and his derivatives who typically go in for the whole mined-out-me-own-home approach, but I don't remember reading anywhere whether they do the same thing or not.

3) Do any of the books feature travel in/around Bor or Boden?

Hello Krug, should I say Hoagar (it's your friendly neighborhood DM).

Bor dwarves are very paranoid. By the book, they're a bit unwilling to share the knowledge of guns, but I waived that a little to stick you in a Durncrag border fort. They have gods, but don't speak of religion very much (not like DnD dwarves with Moradin). Other than that, just play a DnD dwarf and you'll be OK. Greedy, don't like mages, like their ale. ;)

nunix said:
2) Is there ever any statement of whether or not these are the typical "miner" dwarves? Lots of tunnels chasing veins of ore through their mountain homes, et cetera.
It never said so (not that I read and remember, anyway) but I imagine they are miners. After all, all their metal for guns and such has to come from somewhere. Bor is just one immense mountain range, and I believe it does say in the Mongoose book that Bor is mostly tunnels.

nunix said:
3) Do any of the books feature travel in/around Bor or Boden?
One of the New Order books (Fall of Blood Mountain, I think?) has you in Bor. But, well, the New Orders are like impossible to get. Don't think you ever went to Boden.

But whatever you do, stay away from the Bor-brew unless you're a dwarf! ;)

Hey, if a certain Kai by the name of Lone Wolf can handle a swig of the stuff, I fancy that in a few levels, my Kai could handle it as well....

well, once I pick up a few levels in the Healing Discipline, that is....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
AKA - The Kai Lord known as Dark Hawk

Ah, Krug! Welcome to the Mongoose forum! :D

As far as I recall, the probably best (game)books to look for "dwarves in action" would be Shadow on the Sand (second half of the book; they enter the story at about paragraph 374) and maybe The Jungle of Horrors, where you meet a dwarven innkeeper at paragraph 188. A bit of browsing from those paragraphs onward might get you a bit of an impression of Magnamund's dwarves, though there's not really that much on their background ... :(

I'd dare to bet that the number one source would be The Fall of Blood Mountain, as Ordovician already mentioned, but that's damn hard to find. (Okay, Amazon.co.uk has two in the Used Books section (at least recently), but you'd have to pay £124.75 - or even £219.95, if you prefer :? - for them, and somehow I doubt that would be worth it ...)

Another source - though I wouldn't go for it, as I don't care much for them - might be the Legends of Lone Wolf novels. Book #9, The Tellings, features the story of how Banedon got the Skyrider and his dwarven crew. As far as I'm concerned, that story doesn't either Banedon nor the dwarves (they appear rather ... daft) justice, but that's only my opinion, of course.

(Just in case you don't know: You can go to Project Aon for free internet editions of the gamebooks (up to #15 at the moment), if you don't have them yourself.)

Oh, and don't forget: It's more fun to carouse with a Lakuri pirate than a bunch of (legally correct) Kai lords ... :wink:

(Yeah, I'm probably going to need an ally in some situations, I admit it. :D)

Paido

Back