Drifter... The epic failure.

Tugun

Mongoose
Heh.

So you failed to be accepted and have to do a career as a Drifter OR (freaky I know) you CHOSE to be a Drifter...

..and then you fail your survival roll and get a mishap.

Does this mean you can never be a Drifter again?

IMHO this just means you suck big time, but seeing as Drifter appears to be the bottom of the barrel anyway, there's nowhere else to go. Or does this close a particular specialization door for a term?

I'm thinking that Mishaps/Negative Events wouldn't eject you like other careers cos Drifter isn't a 'real' career anyway.

Tugun said:
...I'm thinking that Mishaps/Negative Events wouldn't eject you like other careers cos Drifter isn't a 'real' career anyway.
Heh - wha'dya mean - not a career - it takes a lot of work to not have a steady - er - I mean - you know - work...

Well, if you fail as a Drifter (which should automatically qualify for Loser career - but I think MGT is being PC (pun intented)) - you can always become - a player! :D

I mean who needs all those positive DMs anyway. Just invest in some of these babies
330362127609_0.jpg
:D

Well, if you fail as a Drifter (which should automatically qualify for Loser career - but I think MGT is being PC (pun intented)) - you can always become - a player! Very Happy

lol. A player. I imagined my old gaming group laughing and coughing up drink over that one.

Guess that sets the stage for Traveller Book 8: Loser.[/quote]

Technically, Doctor Who is a Drifter.

So too is Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his crew; although they would dearly love to style themselves as Rogues, Mal's sole motivation is to do whatever jobs will earn them money so they can keep on flying. Even honest jobs.

His only real quest is for love: "You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat up into the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn o' the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down ... tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keels ... makes her a home."

Now if that doesn't define a Drifter, I don't know what does.

Tugun said:
No see page 8.
core rulebook page 8 said:
Once you leave a career you have entered, you cannot return to it. The Draft and the drifter career are exceptions to this rule... [clip] ...the drifter career is always open.
Also, as always, the wording in the book can be open to interpretation. Also on page 8:
This mishap is enough to force you to leave the service.
'service'
not career, but service...
Maybe they don't consider a drifter career to be a service? Maybe only the careers you can be drafted into should be considered service? So failing survival results in a mishap but for Nobility, a mishap does not force you from the career since it is not a service? Is this backed up by the fact that the #6 mishap specifically does say you are forced out? Why say this if it is automatic? The same is true for the Entertainer career mishap #6. But then the scholar career has mishaps that specifically state you do not have to leave the career as if the default is leaving after a mishap so were back to square one...

CosmicGamer said:
Tugun said:
No see page 8.
Once you leave a career you have entered, you cannot return to it. The Draft and the drifter career are exceptions to this rule... [clip] ...the drifter career is always open.
Ah - this is what Tugun was looking for (I couldn't find it last night)...

Adding to that -
[i said:
Core[/i] pg 9"]A character may only enter the Draft once.

alex_greene said:
Technically, Doctor Who is a Drifter.

So too is Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his crew; although they would dearly love to style themselves as Rogues, Mal's sole motivation is to do whatever jobs will earn them money so they can keep on flying. Even honest jobs.

His only real quest is for love: "You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat up into the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn o' the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down ... tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keels ... makes her a home."

Nah - Mal's a player - he's already done the career thing! :D

(And technically he does have a 'purpose' and goes where he has to - not just anywhere. Won't speak to Doctor Who - I'm not British :lol:).

More or less The Doctor and Mal are after the same thing: to run, and to keep on running.

Unless something comes up that forces them to stop running, turns them around and gets them aiming to misbehave.

alex_greene said:

That says Merchant: Free Trader to me.

alex_greene said:
More or less The Doctor and Mal are after the same thing: to run, and to keep on running.

Unless something comes up that forces them to stop running, turns them around and gets them aiming to misbehave.
:lol: Well Put! 8)

CosmicGamer said:
Tugun said:
No see page 8.
Also, as always, the wording in the book can be open to interpretation.

Would same btw apply with aslan outcast? Or are they forced to go to drifter career if they fail outcast(outcast of outcasts!)?

A little more seriously, I'd say a mishap with a Drifter career basically means no benefits for that term, besides whatever the table says.

Mal is a two term Colonist one term Army, Infantry and one term Thief.

Wash is the Free Trader, and so are perhaps Keylee and Zoe (before her time in the Army)

Jayne is likely one of the more violent Career paths from Scoundrels.

CosmicGamer said:
Maybe they don't consider a drifter career to be a service? Maybe only the careers you can be drafted into should be considered service? So failing survival results in a mishap but for Nobility, a mishap does not force you from the career since it is not a service? Is this backed up by the fact that the #6 mishap specifically does say you are forced out? Why say this if it is automatic? The same is true for the Entertainer career mishap #6. But then the scholar career has mishaps that specifically state you do not have to leave the career as if the default is leaving after a mishap so were back to square one...

Another good point. Nobility and Entertainer aside, how does one get permanently canned from being a Citizen? Surely you can retry some place else in a different Citizen type job unless your mishap is so heinous... And then there's Rogue... Okay so, you might earn an unfortunate vacuum dive retirement package, or throat slashing, or shotgun facial makeover... But that shouldn't stop you from remaining in your "service" of crime or law abiding citizenship right?

Perhaps it should demote you instead or earn you cumulative negative DM on further forays into this wonderful career or something.

Back