Does Krylon H2O work as a primer?

helpsmilie.gif
Hey everyone, as the titlw says does it work as a spray primer for both my metal minis and plastic? I have a can or 2, and no actual primer and am expecting my 2 orders to arrive soon and want to have primer ready to kick start them

Not very good. It's better to go to Wal-Mart and get primer from the spray paint aisle. A buck or two a can if I remember right. :)

Nezeray

When I did get "expensive" primer I used mainly The Armory stuff. I've used GW and didn't like it. Others swear by it, but it just seemed to flake off for me. Maybe I got old cans. :x

Nezeray

I switched to the GW stuff from Armory - I still have half of the can of Armory left, and i don't plan on ever using it. Horrid stuff.

I have a lot of horror stories I could tell about primer but I'll make this short. After trying virtually everything on the market I am most pleased with Rustoleum Grey Auto Body Primer. Super smooth texture, no filling, no dusting, neutral color, hard as titanium when dry, dries to the touch in five minutes, good on metal and plastics and only a few bucks at Home Depot.

rico's roughnecks said:
helpsmilie.gif
Hey everyone, as the titlw says does it work as a spray primer for both my metal minis and plastic? I have a can or 2, and no actual primer and am expecting my 2 orders to arrive soon and want to have primer ready to kick start them

Sgt. Brassones' suggestion sounds fine for primer, but I'll pose the question why use H2o on minis when the same company (Krylon) makes a great paint that works on primed metals and is formulated especially for plastics? I speak of Krylon's paint line called "Fusion" and would suggest that over the H2o paint line. Now I'm sure H2o would work alright, but we all know we place out paws all over our minis and we want a good adhesion on the paint. I've mostly suggested using H2o on my styro terrain due to the water base not harming the material. BTW, I like the Krylon Matte Finish as a sealer, that is unless I'm going for a slimy, shiney look :wink: .

BuShips said:
rico's roughnecks said:
helpsmilie.gif

Sgt. Brassones' suggestion sounds fine for primer, but I'll pose the question why use H2o on minis when the same company (Krylon) makes a great paint that works on primed metals and is formulated especially for plastics? I speak of Krylon's paint line called "Fusion" and would suggest that over the H2o paint line. Now I'm sure H2o would work alright, but we all know we place out paws all over our minis and we want a good adhesion on the paint. I've mostly suggested using H2o on my styro terrain due to the water base not harming the material. BTW, I like the Krylon Matte Finish as a sealer, that is unless I'm going for a slimy, shiney look :wink: .
Ok, so I'll use the can to prime my colony for a table I'm making, I've known about fusion but have yet to actually find any of it, oh well I'll eigther try to find this autobody primer you speak of or just plain wait till I can buy my "paintorama" order basically just paint and primer and some inks. Thanks for the input everyone!

I heard that artists gesso works good as a primer, so I gesso'd and underpainted my pathfinders black. I would suggest doing a thin coat instead of a gloppy one.

I'll post pictures when they are done, but don't hold your breathe. It may be a while.

The H20 stuff is latex in a spray can, I don't recommend it for minis as it could peel off. It's more useful for coating styrofoam prior to spray painting it with normal enamal stuff. However, I had lots of bad issues even doing that. Of these, I had

1) Questionable coverage, as I still had bleed through that melted the styrofoam.
2) Water in the spray kept freezing up while spraying for long durations. This resulted in a paint foam that dripped onto my work.
3) $4 for a spray can vs. $5-6 for a can of brush on latex out of the oops bin at Home Depot. Even if I didn't have the above mentioned problems, didn't seem economically feasible for the time saving I got. Also the thicker coating the brush on latex provided more durability to the styrofoam.

Overall Krylon H2O, don't recommend it for any gaming uses.

Now if you want to prime minis, while you're at Home Depot looking for some nice neutral latex paint in their Ooops Bin for your next terrain project, go down their spray paint aisle. Check out Quick Color Spray paint, in a gray can. It goes for $0.98 a can and comes in Flat White and Flat Black. Just be sure you don't get the Gloss versions, the only way you can tell is by the sheen of the cap color. I've been using these for years and have had no problems.

Also look for Krylon Camoflage Colors, they go for about $4 a can and come in Dark Green, Black, Khaki, and Olive Green. They are very flat and good for primer or even a quick base coat.

nezeray said:
I use the camo colors for my marauders, just spray and detail the model. Done. :)

Nezeray

It's funny really that some company hasn't made a deal with Krylon to relabel those camo colors as a wargamer product, heh. They are "military-like", aren't they? :wink:

I have seen pickup trucks that I swear were done with those cans of spraypaint. And I doubt they were hunters or soldiers. :)

Nezeray

nezeray said:
I have seen pickup trucks that I swear were done with those cans of spraypaint. And I doubt they were hunters or soldiers. :)

Nezeray

Yuppers, those guys are in my neck of the woods, too :wink: . Funny how they get around with the price of gas being what it is :lol: .

nezeray said:

Nezeray

That's why I call it Red Neck Automotive Touch-Up Paint :wink:

CmdrKiley said:
nezeray said:

Nezeray

That's why I call it Red Neck Automotive Touch-Up Paint :wink:

Yes, and I suppose if you ever see a guy walking around with an olive drab neck, he's just a redneck that camouflaged himself :lol: .

BuShips said:
nezeray said:

Nezeray

Yuppers, those guys are in my neck of the woods, too :wink: . Funny how they get around with the price of gas being what it is :lol: .

It's usually an '80's era Ford Bronco with lift kit and second hand off-road tires. :D

Back