Diversifying Fighting Styles (was: One-Handed Fighting)

Ichabod said:
Right, that's the other reason to do things with feats - you can easily take something away/change it (switch the feat out if it's too good ... or if it sucks) and/or look at an aspect of the game with as much isolation as possible. A PC is going to try to make good use out of a feat, which should give some idea of how good it ends up being, whereas a general rules change affects different characters in very different ways to where the most abusive uses and the typical balance level can be lost.

Exactly. Quoted for the truth.

This thought here isn't about single-handed fighting, but it's just feat idea that I don't want to open a new thread for, so I'm sticking it in here.

These are inspired by some feats from the Neverwinter Nights game, however without the introduction of a tedious Discipline skill.

Knockdown
Prerequisites: none. Or may also be a Combat Maneuver like Trip, Overrun etc.
Benefit: you may make a melee attack roll at a -4 penalty. If you are successful, you knock your opponent prone, in addition to dealing damage normally. You may only attempt to knock down an opponent who is not more than 1 size category larger than you.
Special: opponents larger than you receive a +4 bonus to their Defense, while smaller opponents are at a -4 penalty. Opponents with more than 2 legs receive a +2 bonus for each additional leg.

Improved Knockdown
Prerequisites: Knockdown, Int 13+, BAB +7
Benefit: A character with this feat counts as one size category larger when he makes a knockdown attack. All other knockdown conditions still apply.
(Effectively, you don't receive the -4 penalty to your attack roll, and may try to knock down opponents 2 size categories larger than you.)

Alright, this is open for discussion.
I want to keep it simple, but now as I look at it, it may be too easy to knock down folks, due to the generally too low Defense values in the RAW. So maybe the target DC for Knockdown should rather be a modified level check or modified BAB check, similar to Bluff resists or similar.

Here it would probably be helpful to use the Pathfinder combat maneuver system, which effectively results in a 25% success chance between similar characters.

Pre-rew ought to probably be Improve Bull Rush. Can't find my AE book to confirm, but I think that allows one ot avoid the AOA, which would realistically allow momentum to be channeled into knocking down rather than knocking back.

My 2 cents.

Oh, that's certainly also a way to go, or make it a Special Attack of its own. In that case, "Knockdown" as a regular special attack would provoke an AoO, and the feat "Improved Knockdown" would negate this AoO and give a +4 bonus. The prereq for this feat could be Str 13 and Power Attack, just like the other Strength-based Special Attacks.

Back