Disappointed by Technomages Book....

Elfman

Mongoose
I am disappointed by the Technomages book, but not by it's content.

As a hard-line Drazi supporter, I am appalled at Mongoose's decision to present a full book on a character type that is at best peripheral to the B5 show, while they have ignored two races presented in the main RPG rulebook as core player races. The effort put forth on the TM book should have been effort producing a supplement with Drazi and Brakiri information in it akin to the other 4 racebooks. I'm not saying the TM book should never have been written, but that it should not have been written until after they finished racebooks for the "core races" as defined in the main sourcebook.

I am aware that there was a show about Rangers written by JMS that had a technomage in it as a character, and a trilogy of post-show fiction written about technomages. While I am the first to admit I don't consider all of JMS works as holy writ as many fans seem to, the existence of the Galen character and the trilogy do not refute my argument. My point is this: Mongoose put forth in the main RPG rulebook that Drazi and Brakiri are core player races. If this is so, they should be treated as such. There should be more effort to get a racebook out there with Drazi and Brakiri information as soon as possible, not effort writing material that most GMs will never allow players to use.

See this thread for a suggestion on how they could get this information out soon.

As a Drazi supporter, I feel betrayed. I feel like Mongoose thinks of my Drazi as second-rate citizens. I feel much like any Brakiri supporters out there must have felt when reading the main rulebook, when they discovered that while Brakiri are supposedly core player races they weren't important enough to warrant a picture.

Give me Drazi, now!

I look forward to your comments, especially from Mongoose.

Y'know, they coulda had all thier ideas worked out for the TM book before the League book.... They could very well be working on the most bad behind Drazi section in the league book the the gaming world has EVER seen & wanted to make sure it was done right. 8)

Patience Padawan (oops, wrong genre)... :lol:

Slingbld~

Typical Drazi reaction.

What can you expect of a race that has one of their sexual organs in their armpits.

:D

Personally, I'd like to have seen the race books and Rangers prior to the Technomages but you can't please everyone.

I have been pleased with the wealth of information published so far.

I believe the League book is due out in June or July.

My Thursday evening campaign will be finished with the Shadow War before to Ancients' book is published.

Of course my PBEM game hasn't finished Jan 2258 after close to 5 months playing.

Sidney

Yeah I just Picked up mine today the Game shop called and told me it was in. As I am sitting here flipping threw it though, I am noticing lots of source material (I like!), lots of spells (I like), rules for item creation (I really like), but one thing struck me hard . . . . lack of images.

Did you guys and gals at mongoose not have permission to reprint the Crusade Images? I was hoping for some good picks of Galen . . . Oh well just have to settle for the autographed pictures of Peter Woodward on my wall. :)

Keep up the good work,
A confused Psyclonejack

I thought it was a great book. I just felt that the majority of the spells felt too much like D&D than B5.

Unfortunately, you're probably gonna see that with every D20 product out there. It's one of the drawbacks to OGL's. The rules sometimes change the flavor a little bit.

Unfortunately I just got to reading my Techno-Mages sourcebook and haven't made it to the spells yet. When I get through with it, if I develop the same opinion you have, I'll see if I can post some ideas for rules modifications. Other than that all I can say is that if you don't like 'em, change 'em.

Not very helpful, I know. :wink:

I think it was to cover those folks reading the Technomage triology who would think that these characters were interesting as PC's. Now I agree that they are best left as a plot device. But others think they might make good chacters.

BABYLON 5 RULES!!!!

DO YOU HEAR ME?

IT RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

TM'S RULE!!!!!!!!

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!

:twisted:

Stule said:
BABYLON 5 RULES!!!!

DO YOU HEAR ME?

IT RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

TM'S RULE!!!!!!!!

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!

:twisted:

OK. Who lost his meds? :D

Sidney

thats the kind of guy that gives all us gamers a bad name..... you realise thats the person that most people think all us gamers are like..... yes we may be Nerds.. but all of us arent that crazy

Speak for yourself CARTMAG. I game often (now, thank god) and when I do theres plenty of humor going around. And not just standard humor, theres in-character humor; BOB the giant, who is too stupid too realize he is a god. He breeds tarrasques and eats dragon wings with a side of BBQ sauce. Then there is Abdul, with his quickie mart Circle A's (in which he sells slurpees of healing) and the fact the he is literally the father of arabia. Oh, dont forget ther is a klingon in this forgotten realms campaign with a +10 bat'leth that was used to slay Graz'zt.

Then there is the out of character (reality) humor. There is plenty of flatulence, and plenty of noxious smells that could make one with a weak stomach sit on the can for an hour.

I'm a gamer. And I'm crazy. I'm a crazy gamer.

For crying out loud we are all crazy in our own way! :roll:

umm Golum... thats not what i was saying...all i was sayn was that people like Stule give all us gamers a bad name.. thats all... I know that i myself am Crazy.. and hell I have played a Klingon name Krull..... +5 Vorpal Battleth.. with Tinker Gnome armor....

I try very hard Golem.. but ya can only please some of the people some of the time.... and all of the people none of the time....... but back on the topic.. personaly the way Mongoose did the Technomages seems to be the best way... the reason i say that is because the Mages are ment to be these powerful people..... they have effected the course of planets of course they are UBER

Yeah, but couldn't they use any crusade images? Just using images from the Geometry of Shadows, and renderings of ships, got a little thin for me.

Mind you I love the book despite that flaw. :) Made me want to run an all mages camp.

PsyJack

psyclonejack said:
Yeah, but couldn't they use any crusade images? Just using images from the Geometry of Shadows, and renderings of ships, got a little thin for me.

PsyJack

If their license is anything like the one AOG had for B5wars they may have to pay extra for Crusade stuff.

ZenOrac said:
If their license is anything like the one AOG had for B5wars they may have to pay extra for Crusade stuff.

It isn't - they have the rights to the whole shebang (hence the Excalibur miniature...).

Back