Deus Vult questions

K Peterson

Banded Mongoose
I've been out of touch with Mongoose Publishing products for a year or two, and had a couple questions about the current Deus Vult line.

• Are any of the releases available in print? Core books, supplements? If so, are they digest sized?
  • Are the Sacerdos Custos Training Guide and the Games Master's Story Guide pretty much an exact split of the content that was originally in the MRQ2 hardcover version of Deus Vult?
  • What's the 'new' content like (the supplements)? Quality?

I've got a copy of the MRQ2 Deus Vult, that I bought a couple of years ago. I thought it had a great premise, but never got around to running it. I'm curious if there's any benefit to 'upgrading' to the current version.

The GM Story Guide and Sacerdos Custos Training Guide are both available in print - the others will be appearing throughout the year.

As for changes, Miracles are no longer a variation of Divine Magic but are actually, well, miraculous in nature :) There are also changes to the background - for example, all guardian priests are now raised purely by the Order. They do not join later in life.

Hope that helps!

I, too, have a couple of questions about this very interesting-looking game line:

1. Like the OP, I'd also like to know if the books are digest sized. On the webstore I cannot find that information anywhere.

2. According to the release schedule the printed release date for the Games Master's Story Guide and the Sacerdos Custos Training Guide is November. Is this an indication of when they'll be more widely distributed?

3. Does the Custos Training Guide share any content with the Games Master's Story Guide?

4. On the release schedule I see a Witch-Hunter's Training Guide listed. Can you tell me a little bit more about this? Not being familiar with the details of the setting, what exactly distinguishes Witch-Hunters from members of the Sacerdos Custos?

3rik said:
1. Like the OP, I'd also like to know if the books are digest sized. On the webstore I cannot find that information anywhere.

They are indeed digest-sized (perfect for Kindles!).

3rik said:
2. According to the release schedule the printed release date for the Games Master's Story Guide and the Sacerdos Custos Training Guide is November. Is this an indication of when they'll be more widely distributed?

It is indeed!

3rik said:
3. Does the Custos Training Guide share any content with the Games Master's Story Guide?

No, they do not share anything to the best of my memory.

3rik said:
4. On the release schedule I see a Witch-Hunter's Training Guide listed. Can you tell me a little bit more about this? Not being familiar with the details of the setting, what exactly distinguishes Witch-Hunters from members of the Sacerdos Custos?

The Order of Sacerdos Custos are the arm of the Church assigned to deal with supernatural menaces. However, there are two other arms hat also have knowledge of the supernatural and 'meddle' with it. The first are the new but growing Inquisition. The second are the Witch Hunters. The latter are largely independent, lacking the support of the Order but also have much greater freedom in how they go about their work (and, yes, this often leads to abuse - plenty of moral dilemmas for the players!).

I can also tell you that, at some point, these three arms of the Church are not going to be getting on with one another...

msprange said:
3rik said:
They are indeed digest-sized (perfect for Kindles!).
That's great about the Kindle, of course, but personally I was more concerned with the printed Deus Vult books matching the printed Legend rulebook in size. :wink:

msprange said:
3rik said:
It is indeed!
Excellent. Are there going to be print + pdf bundle deals?

msprange said:
3rik said:
No, they do not share anything to the best of my memory.
That's good to know. For some games you find players guides that merely collect the player-relevant information that is also the core book, so I wanted to be sure about this before purchasing.

msprange said:
3rik said:
The Order of Sacerdos Custos are the arm of the Church assigned to deal with supernatural menaces. However, there are two other arms that also have knowledge of the supernatural and 'meddle' with it. The first are the new but growing Inquisition. The second are the Witch Hunters. The latter are largely independent, lacking the support of the Order but also have much greater freedom in how they go about their work (and, yes, this often leads to abuse - plenty of moral dilemmas for the players!).

I can also tell you that, at some point, these three arms of the Church are not going to be getting on with one another...
Sounds like this i going to be a must-buy supplement. Interesting that Sacerdos Custos is not part of the Inquisition or vice versa. Is there any information on Witch Hunters or the Inquisition in the core books?

3rik said:

Yes, with any retailer that is part of the Bits and Mortar program, and we will happily send PDFs to anyone who buys books from our web site.

3rik said:
That's good to know. For some games you find players guides that merely collect the player-relevant information that is also the core book, so I wanted to be sure about this before purchasing.

As a caveat, I will say you might find the odd duplicate sentence, but nothing wholesale was copied between the books.

3rik said:
Sounds like this i going to be a must-buy supplement. Interesting that Sacerdos Custos is not part of the Inquisition or vice versa. Is there any information on Witch Hunters or the Inquisition in the core books?

No, we kept the core books very focussed on the Order. However, the Witch Hunters and Inquisition are very much part of the Deus Vult canon, and you will find references on them creeping about in various supplements.

I would love to see a book that describes how the other religions in the world deal with these issues.

How does Islam deal with the supernatural or Judiasm or Hindu?

I think it would be very interesting to see how each religion as adapted to the reality of the supernatural world.

msprange said:
3rik said:
Yes, with any retailer that is part of the Bits and Mortar program, and we will happily send PDFs to anyone who buys books from our web site.
Ooh, that's good to know! Do I just place my order and mail you a request for the free pdf's or how does it work exactly?

Back