D&D 3.x Armor/Weapon Conversion to Runequest

yipwyg

Mongoose
Ok I just got the rulebook and am looking it over right now. I also just got the book From Stone to Steel. Stone to Steel is an in depth look at weapons and armor throughout the ages. It is awesome!!! Here is the link for those who want to look at it.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=5195&

This product would work really well for Runequest, however it is a d20 product which also is at the time of 3.0.

I would really like to use this product with runequest, however I am looking for advice on how to convert the damage and armor protection over, as well as price.

Thanks for any input.

Just thought some people might find it disturbing using a d20 product with Runequest. However, the book mentioned has 100's of weapon/armor from these time periods, everything from stone age to renasaince (sp), it really is a great resource for all rpg's.

Just choose the culture your character comes from and you have weapons/armor tailor made for that culture.

It is hard advice to give, as many of the people here are old time RQ'ers and there is a subtle difference is values between this versions damage scall and previous editions.

I would say look for similar weapons on the RQ weapon chart and give them similar stats.

And thanks for the input, good intentions are always appreciated, even if d20 is not. :wink:

Personally d20 gives me a headache at certain points, however there are some good products out there that are useful for any rpg.

The book mentioned is 352 pages 90% of it is fluff material dealing with weapon armor descriptions.

Stone
Bronze
Roman
Iron
Asian

Plus more is covered

I would be very wary of deriving data from any gaming book but particularly from D20 based ones.

You are always better to get as close as you can to a primary source. For blades and armour these can admittedly be hard to find though the works of authors such as Oakeshott is the best place to start.

For small arms modelling is an incredibly difficult and contentious subject in the real world let alone in gaming. With blades where data is not so easy to come by subjectivity is a major problem.

For the love of Gaia, tell me this book doesn't have the usual RPG crap like studded leather, or ringmail.

Brr...

Ringmail in some form has existed. "Studded leather" on the other hand seems to be caused by Messrs Gygax and Arneson seeing brigandine armour and thinking that it was just leather with studs in, like something you might order from Skin Two.

Let me guess, someone else who gets really annoyed when anyone says 'chainmail' instead of 'mail'?
It is nice not to be alone.

Adept said:
For the love of Gaia, tell me this book doesn't have the usual RPG crap like studded leather, or ringmail.

Brr...

Now, now. Things could be a lot worse.

It could have Studded Leather +7 of Invulnerability and Ringmail +6, +8 vs Orcs.

For non-magical armor and weapons;
Weapon damage can be used as is. They are on an equal scale.
Convert armor's AC bonus to AP. +8 for full plate would become 8 AP.

King Amenjar said:
Ringmail in some form has existed. "Studded leather" on the other hand seems to be caused by Messrs Gygax and Arneson seeing brigandine armour and thinking that it was just leather with studs in, like something you might order from Skin Two.

It wasn't them. It's from a really bad (but popular) book on medieval armour. Basically the author looked at details from a famous painting, and deduced things from there :( blech. The armour was classified by what it looked like.

Ringmail came from a simplified way of depicting chainmail, and "studded leather" of course from brigandine. Horrible.

The banded armour etc. nonesense aren't any better.

Thanks for the Info about the book. I always wanted to add some types of armor I have heard about but had very little knowledge about. For example I always though glorantha elves could use wooden armor similiar to that used by Native Americans in the Eastern North AmericaAnd I read about scale armor made from animal bnes being used inCentral Asia but have no idea on its weight or anything else, but thought it would be nice it to be used by the Bison tribe in Prax.And Trolls could use Chitin Armor made from beetles but that a GM thing.

Back