Crit question (poll)

Is the crit system good

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, please specify

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think it´s good as it is now.

The only problems are the ancient one´s which can´t get any criticals and players with too much luck with causing criticals.

The Crit system seems pretty good, admitedly I use it a lot less since E-Mines were Nerfed, but it has it's moments and can turn a battle in an instant. It definately adds colour to any scenario

I had to vote 'no', not because the critical hit system is necessarily bad, but because of the frequency that critical hits occur in the course of a normal battle.

Add in double or triple damage to the equation, and the game deteriorates into a, “who gets the best critical hits” affair, and movement / tactics take a back seat. Just my $0.02

Fin-man

Fin-man said:
I had to vote 'no', not because the critical hit system is necessarily bad, but because of the frequency that critical hits occur in the course of a normal battle.

Add in double or triple damage to the equation, and the game deteriorates into a, “who gets the best critical hits” affair, and movement / tactics take a back seat. Just my $0.02

Fin-man

Did you play with the pre-revised system of rolling for damage when it was 2d6? There were fewer criticals, however, the game took a good deal longer. As it stands, the system is rather fair all around and doesn't bog down the game too much. And as I have stated before somewhere or another, there is less than a 1 in 6 chance of getting a truly crippling crit (and even half of those depend largely on the use of the ship) without accounting for actually rolling to see what happens. Taking that into account, you stand somewhere around 1 in 40 on any given hit. Sometimes the bad guys are gonna hit your spaceship in the figurative balls, you just have to roll with it. Usually there are enough ships involved in a battle to provide for the destruction of a ship or two.

demonllamma said:
Did you play with the pre-revised system of rolling for damage when it was 2d6? There were fewer criticals, however, the game took a good deal longer.
The chances are, in fact, virtually identical. But much much slower.

Wulf

I really like the crit system. With the SFOS revision it's even faster. Real destructive, rolling HIGH (roll under and roll low systems suck) pays off.

Quite happy with the Crits as they go, even when on the receiving end of the bad ones.

Maybe a little more variety in the results would be nice, like disabling Ship Traits in the relevent category. Interceptors in weapons, jump engines in movement, troops in crew, flight computers/stealth in vital systems.

demonllamma,
We started playing about a month or two before SFOS came out. I agree that the new crits are better than the old ones. However, from the comments made on this thread as well as other critical hit threads, it seems as if that our group out here is playing an entirely different game system - even though they both say B5:ACTA and are both published by Mongoose. (Yes, we’re playing with the SFOS lists and rules…)

In 90% of the battles that I have either watched or played so far, critical hits have been the primary deciding factor in who wins a game. Not tactics, not maneuver, not fleet selection – but critical hits. I watched a game where great deployment, excellent movement, and good use of special orders become irrelevant due to three or four lucky critical hits which disabled the largest ship (cannot fire), and where a ship that blew up took out two other ships when he went out – not because of the damage itself, but because of the critical hits. You cannot repair a critical hit on the turn it occurs, and you need a '5' to repair a critical hit in subsequent turns. (using average crew quality)

I don’t know – are we missing some rule that states critical hits only affect ships 50% of the time? Are others not playing with the rule where double or triple damage does double / triple the listed critical damage and crew results? The other posters here mystify me, when their comments seem to indicate that crits aren’t that much of a factor in their games. If anyone out there has a reason for this, or can assist with some rule that we’re all missing out here, I would very much appreciate the help.

Sincerely,
Fin-man

demonllamma said:
Fin-man said:

Fin-man

Did you play with the pre-revised system of rolling for damage when it was 2d6? There were fewer criticals, however, the game took a good deal longer. As it stands, the system is rather fair all around and doesn't bog down the game too much. And as I have stated before somewhere or another, there is less than a 1 in 6 chance of getting a truly crippling crit (and even half of those depend largely on the use of the ship) without accounting for actually rolling to see what happens. Taking that into account, you stand somewhere around 1 in 40 on any given hit. Sometimes the bad guys are gonna hit your spaceship in the figurative balls, you just have to roll with it. Usually there are enough ships involved in a battle to provide for the destruction of a ship or two.

Fin-man. quite simply, they don't have that much of an impact in many of my games. I have had games where a lucky critical hit drastically changes a game, however, these are fairly rare. I even play Minbari, who have a precise weapon on everything but fighters, and crits don't play that much into things. The most recent game that I played the only 2 significant crits that were rolled was destroying the engines on a patrol level ship that was already shot up and a 6-6 on a ship that was already destroyed from fire from the same ship (rolling to see if it exploded). Everything else was minuses to speed, and one on the crew chart (i think there were 5-6 on both sides). Perhaps you guys are just luckier than we are. :wink: If you are really having problems with them, you could always house rule in another roll involved, like having to roll a 6, then a 4+ or something, just to decrease the likelyhood without drastically increasing the # of dice rolled.

I like the system, nice, quick and easy. I have to put up with a lot of preceise shots from minbari and vree too but I have my moments when I dish them out too, always nice to roll those weapons or critical systems criticals on minbari warships, nice to see the so called super advanced young race get hammered too.

Back