Crimson Mist

jcw8705

Mongoose
I have a question in regards to the Crimson Mist ability.

It indicates that it replicates the effects of the Fighting Madness Feat (+4 Str, +4 Con, etc). However, at higher levels it indicates that the Str bonus increases to +6 _AND_ the HP bonus goes to 1.5 per level. My question is should it be 1.5 per level (a +4 Con gives +2 HP per level) or should it be 1.5x (i.e a +6 Con for +3 HP per level).

Thanks,
John

jcw8705 said:
I have a question in regards to the Crimson Mist ability.

It indicates that it replicates the effects of the Fighting Madness Feat (+4 Str, +4 Con, etc). However, at higher levels it indicates that the Str bonus increases to +6 _AND_ the HP bonus goes to 1.5 per level. My question is should it be 1.5 per level (a +4 Con gives +2 HP per level) or should it be 1.5x (i.e a +6 Con for +3 HP per level).

Thanks,
John

Hi John,

I noticed this as well, but then forgot about in my efforts to understand the rest of the combat system. Thanks for reminding me. :D

I will have the Barbarian's Crimson Mist ability grant Str +6, Con +6, and Will +3 from 11th level onwards. It is what makes the most sense.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

I think it should operate exactly as written.

Remember, after 10th level a Barb will only gain 3hp per level -- with no con bonus! Raising your Con bonus by 4 after 10th level will give you no more than 20hp (for lvls 1-10).

The more powerful Crimson Mist (as written) causes the Barb to lose a bit of a hp boost at 11th level in return for greater strength and Will save.

Remember, high level Conan characters shouldn't have the same sort of monster hit points found in D&D. Messing with this will make high level character much less vulnerable than they should be!

BTW: It may be prudent to understand the rules before changing them!

BhilJhoanz said:
The more powerful Crimson Mist (as written) causes the Barb to lose a bit of a hp boost at 11th level in return for greater strength and Will save.

BTW: It may be prudent to understand the rules before changing them!

Certainly, if I could just understand your explanation, why is he losing hp? :?

I understand that Con doesn't mod your hps after level 11, but it still affects your Fort Save - which is a good thing.

By the RAW a level 11-20 Barbarian gets Str +6, Con +4, Will Saves +3, and 4.5 hps per level 11-20 (i.e. 1.5 times his usual increase). Personally, I think a Con increase at level 11 is alright, even if the rules allow the Barbarian to retain the Con +4 from previous levels, which still grants him 20 hp for levels 1-10, and Fort Saves +2. I wouldn't mind this being 30 hp and Fort Saves +3, YMMW. :)

I think I understand the rules though, even if my earlier comments didn't summarize the RAW. :p

TTFN,

Yokiboy

I see the acronym RAW thrown around a lot. What does it mean?

I'm afraid I'm at work and only have access to the Play Test info (my book is at home). CM reads: "From 11th level onwards, the barbarian’s crimson mist is more powerful, with the bonus to Strength increasing to +6, the bonus to hit points increasing to +1.5 per class level (rounded down), and the bonus to Will saves increasing to +3." Is this different from the book text?
By these rules, at 11th level when the hp increase is gained from a straight 1.5/lvl instead of +4 Con. He'll have a hp gain of 16 (1.5x11) at 11th level instead of 20hp at 10th (from the Con bonus)

I may be wrong but I assumed that you kept the +4 to Con, Increased Str to +6 instead of +4 and Multiplied the addtional HP gained after 10th Level by 1.5 (rounded down).

Thats the way I would read it.

rook111 said:
I may be wrong but I assumed that you kept the +4 to Con, Increased Str to +6 instead of +4 and Multiplied the addtional HP gained after 10th Level by 1.5 (rounded down).

I agree with you. (Note that it is a +1.5 bonus, not x1.5, though with 3HP/level, the math is the same, i.e., adding 1.5 HP/level over 10.) The bonus to hit points is worded poorly however. It says "the bonus to hit points increasing to +1.5 per class level (rounded down)." I see this as affecting the post-10th level hit points (though it does not say that, thus it could mean all class levels), because CON bonus does not, and is meant as a replacement for the CON bonus not applying for more hit points past 10th level. Consequently, I think you retain the CON+4 for things like Fort save, but since CON doesn't add to the post-10th level hit points, we have the +1.5 bonus/class level over 10th.

Ahhh . . . I see the way you're reading it now rook -- that makes sense!

It's rather unclear but yes 11+lvl Crimson Mist=
+6 Str, +4Con, +3 Will, +1.5hp/lvl over 10 and -2DV

BhilJhoanz said:
Ahhh . . . I see the way you're reading it now rook -- that makes sense!

It's rather unclear but yes 11+lvl Crimson Mist=
+6 Str, +4Con, +3 Will, +1.5hp/lvl over 10 and -2DV

Exactly.

BhilJhoanz said:
I see the acronym RAW thrown around a lot. What does it mean?

By these rules, at 11th level when the hp increase is gained from a straight 1.5/lvl instead of +4 Con. He'll have a hp gain of 16 (1.5x11) at 11th level instead of 20hp at 10th (from the Con bonus)

RAW = Rules As Written

I get what you're saying, but I think that's wrong. Why would a barbarian get a better Str increase, and a worse HP increase at 11th level? I play it as I summed it up, give the Barbarian an extra 1.5 hp per level from 11 to 20, when using Crimson Mist. Still granting him the Con +4 from earlier, and another 20 hps from level 1-10. Makes sense to me anyhow.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

rook111 said:

My understanding to, after reading the section a couple of times. At first I thought the Con/HP thing was a typo and thought it would mean Con +6, but that doesn't make sense with the set hp increases past level 11 in Conan the RPG.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Thanks for the insights. I hadn't even considered that HP's past 10th level might change. That's a good answer to a poorly worded ability.

+6 Str, +4 Con, +3 Will, +1.5 HP past 11th level.

Appreciate it,
John

Back