Couple of quick questions from my first game

Asroc2000

Mongoose
Played my first game at home yesterday with my regular SFB / Fed Cmdr opponent.
All went quite smoothly, but we had a couple of minor issues we could not resolve by consulting the rule book and errata.

1) When limited to using "phasers only" or "one weapon system" by power drain or other cause, can you still use Anti-drones and/or tractor beams in defensive fire against incoming drones?
[my feeling was you could, as they are ship traits not weapons listed on the weapons section of the ship. but the Fed combo racks clouded this a little]

2) Ships running adrift. The rules say they can not move at all, but the compulsory movement suggests they may have to make a forced move. Which is correct?

Thanks folks :)

Asroc2000 said:
1) When limited to using "phasers only" or "one weapon system" by power drain or other cause, can you still use Anti-drones and/or tractor beams in defensive fire against incoming drones?
[my feeling was you could, as they are ship traits not weapons listed on the weapons section of the ship. but the Fed combo racks clouded this a little]

2) Ships running adrift. The rules say they can not move at all, but the compulsory movement suggests they may have to make a forced move. Which is correct?

Thanks folks :)

1) yes. they aren't weapons.

2) good question. I think intention is that adrift ships can't move voluntarily but only by compulsory(is there much of that besides black hole?). Would seem kinda weird that ship that has lost engines wouldn't be moved by a black hole :D

well, it's just wording thing, but if adrift, they make a compulasry forward movement, they don't "move" under power. At least thats how I Interpret it, and it makes more sense.

H said:
well, it's just wording thing, but if adrift, they make a compulasry forward movement, they don't "move" under power. At least thats how I Interpret it, and it makes more sense.

Well. I don't see any mention of forward moving in SF rules(unlike NA where it's clearly said half the speed. Or did I miss similar note on SF?). So my guess is that barring some external compulsory movement adrift ships are just standing there.

H said:
then they are not adrift, they are becalmed, or stationary :)

Well. They are moving forward but since they aren't on their on power they aren't moving at 100x lightspeed so appear stationary ;)

Remember even inch movement is HUGE distance covered in space...These things move(well according to official fluff anyway) multiple times of speed of light so that's some distance covered...

tneva82 said:
H said:

Well. They are moving forward but since they aren't on their on power they aren't moving at 100x lightspeed so appear stationary ;)

Remember even inch movement is HUGE distance covered in space...These things move(well according to official fluff anyway) multiple times of speed of light so that's some distance covered...

I always assumed battles were sublight, if you were fighting at lightspeed plus, then phasersd would fire backwards every bit over lightspeed you went, and plasma, well, it would be like peeing into the wind :) but more painful

Nope in the parental SFB game 1 hex per turn speed is about light speed. It goes on a cubic system so 8 hexes per turn is Warp 2 and 8 times the speed of light, 27 hexes per turn is Warp 3 and also 27 times the speed of light. 32 hexes per turn is the notional upper limit of stuff in SFB so in the game things fight at around Warp3 max

ACTA fits into that scale with a fast ship on All Power to Engines moving full distance being about that 32 hexes speed (and 32x Speed of light), and slower moving ships fitting into the scale below that.

One more clarification please, when a critical hit forces you to lose a random trait, if you have several of them do you lose the lot or reduce the number by one?

(for example if the random trait was Tractor 3, does it become Tractor 2, or do you lose all tractors on that ship? My feeling was you lose all, but could not be sure)

Thanks.

Asroc2000 said:
One more clarification please, when a critical hit forces you to lose a random trait, if you have several of them do you lose the lot or reduce the number by one?

(for example if the random trait was Tractor 3, does it become Tractor 2, or do you lose all tractors on that ship? My feeling was you lose all, but could not be sure)

Thanks.
I believe you lose the entire Tractor trait.

While the 'one weapon only' power drain wouldn't hit the ADD trait, I thought Matt had said that since for the Feds it is tied to the drone launcher and thus not a trait for the Feds, for them only, using the drone launcher as an ADD counts as a weapon?

H said:
tneva82 said:
H said:

I always assumed battles were sublight, if you were fighting at lightspeed plus, then phasersd would fire backwards every bit over lightspeed you went, and plasma, well, it would be like peeing into the wind :) but more painful

So do I but the fluff flat out says it's on warpspeed.

Guess they somehow manage to install warp nacelles to every phaser beam and photon torpedo :lol:

tneva82 said:
H said:

So do I but the fluff flat out says it's on warpspeed.

Guess they somehow manage to install warp nacelles to every phaser beam and photon torpedo :lol:
How long is one turn supposed to represent? The speed of light is about 299,972 km/s, and at that speed light takes about 328 minutes to go from the Sun to Pluto. A ship doing warp 3, i.e. 27 x light speed, would do the same journey in about 12 minutes. So if a turn is measured in minutes then the game table represents a significant portion of an entire star system...

billclo said:
Asroc2000 said:

Thanks.
I believe you lose the entire Tractor trait.
Thats correct :)

AdrianH said:
How long is one turn supposed to represent? The speed of light is about 299,972 km/s, and at that speed light takes about 328 minutes to go from the Sun to Pluto. A ship doing warp 3, i.e. 27 x light speed, would do the same journey in about 12 minutes. So if a turn is measured in minutes then the game table represents a significant portion of an entire star system...

Not that long actually but still yes. Battles represent pretty darn wide areas...

Which is precicely why I stated in another thread that nuke mines as in "float until enemy gets close and then blow" are very inefficient. Their range is way too short and ships are moving way too fast. And frankly the idea of dropping them to enemy path" idea is equally inefficient :) Mines are either self powered(drones in otherwords) or rather than exploding they shoot with weapons against nearby enemies.

Phasers and other weapons currently in ACtA:SF are considered "warp-class" weapons; they either send their energy through subspace, some sort of warp shunt, or a. n. other piece of trans-light technobabble (phasers, disruptors); have an empty canister, or other physical component, that is armed in the launcher before use (photons, plasmas-F and up) or come pre-prepared with an armed warhead already in the munition, ready to go (drones, ADDs, plasma-Ds).

Indeed, the distinction between older "sublight" weapons (lasers, atomic missiles etc) and warp-class weapons is a key aspect of Star Fleet Universe history. When ships like the Terran-hull Fed CL and Romulan Warbird first entered service, they had impulse (non-tactical warp) engines only; and only had lasers and other such weapons. After the Federation developed their first tactical warp engines (of a type two generations removed from the "modern" ones the current CL uses), the breakthroughs that allowed for true warp engines also saw a number of other devices fall out of the mix; transporters, more effective tractor beams, along with phasers and photon torpedoes. The Romulans, however, lagged behind; while they managed to master plasma torpedo technology, as well as imrpoved subspace arrays which allowed them to track movements at tactical warp speeds, they failed to master true tactical warp under their own speed. Well, at least by the time the Klingons jump-started their warp drive program with the Treaty of Smarba; it has been suggested that the Romulans might have managed to get there in their own right in another five or ten years, give or take.

If we ever see the Early Years explored in the game system, this distinction will become very apparent when trying to approach the pre-Smarba Romulans; they will have to depend on their cloaks (or rather, their earlier masking and veiling devices) and plasmas to try and make up for their severe shortcomings in terms of maneuver. (Basically, the Romulans would pursue a war with the Gorns by sneaking up to a planet under mask/veil, land their ships on the surface, and dare the Gorn Navy to wade through waves of planet-bound plasma in order to dig them out. Given that the Gorns won all three wars they fought in the era when they had tactical warp and the Romulans did not, this was still a losing proposition; but, it seems, the Romulans had trouble trying to take the hint...)

And speaking of mines, there are types in SFB referred to as captor mines; which are more like defence satellites, in that they are armed with some kind of ranged weapon they can be pre-programmed to fire. However, mine warfare is quite absent from Federation Commander, and probably won't be too likely to show up any time soon. (FC does have defence satellites, however.)

Nerroth said:
If we ever see the Early Years explored in the game system,

Going to cause some serious suspension of disbelief issues if there's non-warpspeed and warpspeed ships on board...Relative speeds are such that either you have VERY big board with warpspeed ships zigzagging 100"+ inch per turn or the non-warpspeed ships should be stationary during the game.

Gah. Needless to say I consider my games to happen sub-warpspeed. The whole "battles happen at warpspeed" creates just whole lotta logical hell. Especially if you then try model the EW ships sensibly.

Well, in SFB a non-tactical warp ship can move one hex a turn, due to its impulse engines; FC fudges things a little by allowing a "sublight" unit to move four hexes in the course of a turn (but still with a baseline speed of zero). The assumption is that the impulse engine is producing some form of space-warping effect which allows the "sublight" ship to move close to c without incurring relativistic issues; but is still not enough to allow trans-light speeds to be taken in combat.

Pre-Smarba Romulans would likely have to move one inch a turn (or four, if you go with the FC version), be unable to use the All Power to Engines! special action, and presumably need an edit to the cloak rules to cover the less effective mask and/or veil (perhaps reducing the de-cloak "free" move to one or two inches). The phasers would be replaced with less powerful lasers, but the plasma torpedoes would still be present and accounted for.

And only the Early Years Romulans would have this issue; all of the other local powers that were a going concern at the time (including two, the Paravians and Carnivons, which are no longer on the Alpha Octant map) had some form of tactical warp drive, so fights between them wouldn't have the issues that dealing with the pre-Smarba Romulans would have.

Mind you, the two generations of pre-modern tactical warp drives won't be all that fast, themselves. Warp-refitted (W-era) drives could probably be limited to only 6 inches movement a turn, with up to 9 inches for the early warp (Y-era) hulls.

Back