Corruption Save DC

Sourcerer

Mongoose
There seems to be an omission in the Conan RPG 2E regarding Corruption Save DCs or I'm just unable to understand the given explanation.
The only passage I could find on this topic is on p.82:
All corruption saving throws are made against a DC set by the entity, sorcerer or object’s magic attack roll.
I hope someone can help me!
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums, and to the Conan world. The DC is set by the cause of the test , and found in the description of the same. Such as-
"the sorcerer must make a Corruption save each round; the DC begins at DC 12 and.." when casting Unholy Revitalisation or " he must make a Corruption save (DC 15) or gain.." when dealing with Radium Gems.
Its not a set defense number to roll against. Hope that helps.

Thanks Jeffrey,

I guess Unholy Revitalisation and Radium Gems are form Secret of Skelos or another sourcebook. So far I only have the core rulebook and there no DCs are given.
It's either an automatic corruption gain (e.g. Channel Demon) or as for Demon Pact:
Each time a sorcerer casts this spell, he must make a Corruption saving throw (see page 82) or gain one point of Corruption.
But in the description of the demons (Bodiless Slimer, Black Fiend, Child of the Dark, Smoke-Serpent and Uncanny Steed) there is no mentioning of a Corruption Save DC.

A rule to determine the DC for
contact with a demon, evil god or an unusually powerful and corrupt sorcerer, except in the context of actively attacking it or fleeing from it in terror,
is what I'm looking for.

All corruption saving throws are made against a DC set by the entity, sorcerer or object’s magic attack roll.

seems pretty obvious to me. when you have peaceful contact with a demon it makes a magic attack roll which sets the DC for the corruption saving throw.

I have considered that interpretation, but it seems grammatically wrong (mind you, I'm not a native speaker).
To match the interpretation the line should be
All corruption saving throws are made against a DC set by the entity’s, sorcerer’s or object’s magic attack roll.
Besides, the demons in the core rulebook don't have magic attacks. Their base attacks could be used, but the resulting DCs seems too low to me (16-18 taking 10 on the roll).
For corrupt sorcerers the DC could be even lower.

Sourcerer said:
For corrupt sorcerers the DC could be even lower.

Corrupt sorcerers would use their magic attack roll, which if they've got a decent amount of levels would result in a tough DC.

For creatures without a MAB the DC would still be set by the D20 roll plus or minus any Charisma modifiers.
So saving against "mundane" creatures that are magically inclined or outsiders is allot easier than creatures (human or otherwise) schooled in the dark knowledge that man was not meant to know.

And don't forget that your current corruption points are applied as a penalty to your saves. Suddenly that DC 10 save isn't so easy.

The way a sorcerer can dismiss a summoned demon using Master-Words and Signs is using the same system as apparently Corruption Saves do.
The mechanic still puzzles me, as it implies the corrupt actively trying to corrupt the other, but maybe that's intended.

This variable DC makes Corruption an even faster descent than I had first assumed.
Scary...

Thanks for everyones help!

The Stygian Scholar in my group always spends Fate Points to wipe his slate clean. If a player doesn't use this method his " come- upins" will be swift indeed.

Jeffreywns said:
The Stygian Scholar in my group always spends Fate Points to wipe his slate clean.
Isn't that a bit abusive towards the intend of the rule?
This way to use Fate Points isn't called Repentence without a reason.
Wikepedia said:
Repentance is a change of thought and action to correct a wrong and gain forgiveness from a person who is wronged.
After Corruption Points are removed, the character should avoid gaining any new Corruption.
So I would only allow this once, maybe twice if roleplaying justifies a third chance.

You don't really repent if you intend to do it again.

He decides to use his precious fate points this way. Where as the Barbarian normally uses his for Destiny and the Nomad likes Re-Rolls. I believe it's a game mechanic that lets the PC's stand out from the norm.
As I never dictate what they use them on ( but I have reminded them where they can be used) I don't have an issue with it.
Besides as a Stygian (-2 Corruption saves) it's probably a good idea. It would be allot harder if he worshipped Dark Gods and practiced Summoning Demons but then again it would be his choice. As it is he travels outside of Stygia as a Surgeon/Scholar of the Arcane.

Just for curiosity's sake...
how does he gain the corruption in the first place?

Maybe I need to read more sourcebooks, but if he doesn't worship dark gods and doesn't practice demonology, his chances to gain corruption should be the same as the rest of the group.
Even less due to his superior will save (even with the Stygian malus).

He has gained Corruption from from the Corruptive Kiss of Kara Prama the Seducer (and lost a level), studying ancient Acheronean texts, and handling the few Arcane items I've introduced to the players.
The Barbarian laid claim to an ancient Lemurian sword that forced a few points of Corruption on him before it was destroyed in a story line (used as a spell component/sacrifice). He was also kissed by Kara Prama but made his Corruption Save.
The Stygian is 13th level and still has a few Fate Points banked.
I like to throw in a "Cthulhu" feel to magic items and Tomes of Ancient Lore will cause corruption in my campaign. Or at least the Mythic ones will.

The Atlantean Edition lists the Magic Attack Roll for the demons in the core book (except bodiless slimer), which I see is missing from 2e. Weird.

The Second Edition gives Arcane Demons a higher DC than "Mundane" Demons. Levels of Scholar plus Charisma as opposed to Charisma only. Makes the difference more noticeable between servants and teachers of Black Wisdom.

rabindranath72 said:
The Atlantean Edition lists the Magic Attack Roll for the demons in the core book (except bodiless slimer), which I see is missing from 2e. Weird.

The Magic Attack Bonuses are in the Bestiary book. Presumably they are the same as the Atlantean Ed?

PrinceYyrkoon said:
rabindranath72 said:

The Magic Attack Bonuses are in the Bestiary book. Presumably they are the same as the Atlantean Ed?
I do not have the Bestiary, so I cannot check. But it seems strange that in the core 2e book this information is not present. Do the same core 2e critters appear also in the bestiary?

rabindranath72 said:
PrinceYyrkoon said:
rabindranath72 said:

I do not have the Bestiary, so I cannot check. But it seems strange that in the core 2e book this information is not present. Do the same core 2e critters appear also in the bestiary?

Yup. Obviously a typo.

Back