Core Rule Question

Jak Nazryth

Mongoose
This might have already been brought up in a post sometime early last year and I can't seem to locate it on any previous threads, but...

On page 60 of the new Core Rules under "going faster or slower" the example it gives in the paragraph is about Kathya fixing a Jump Drive shifting from 1D hours to 1D x 10 minutes in order to jump out before a bay guy catches them..., but on the chart it has "Repairing a damaged ship" under 1Dx10 hours.
I'll point out that the exact same chart and paragraph appears in MgT1 core rules on page 50, almost word for word.

Which is correct?
Does in take 1D hours to repair a ship (per the paragraph) or 1Dx10 hours to repair a ship (per the chart)?

applogies if this has already been addressed.
Thanks

It's given more of an example than a specific rule on he shifting. Just an example. As ref I may off the cuff say, "it'll take you d6 hours to repair that" Then the player may ask to shift up or down. The repairs later on a for a specific repair of a system so use that as the basic refrence frame. In the end it's all up to the ref how long things should take. Players will then haggle for time or bonus.

Read Timeframes again. Key words "might take". As in "repairing a damaged component on a ship might take 1D x 10 hours". The GM is the one who decides how difficult and time consuming a task is. What you were really looking at is a table of examples, not hard rules.

All that might be true, but it would help stop some of the confusion if examples of time it takes to repair ship damage in a paragraph located directly under a table that it references, were a bit more coordinated... ;)
Maybe there is a difference between the time it takes to do a temporary "field repair" and a proper job in a maintenance hanger safe and sound on a base.
At least that's what I'll say. Still it's interesting this same bust happened in both additions.
No worries though.
Jak

Page 150, Repairs: Properly repairing a critical hit takes 1D hours.
Page 150, Repairs: Repairing Hull damage requires 1 hour per point.

Page 160, Repair System: Temporarily repairing a system takes 1 round (space combat round, so 6 minutes), but only lasts 1D hours.

The chart is wrong, even if it did appear that way in 1e (where it was still wrong - repairing hull/structure damage or a damaged system took 1D hours according to the text). The travel time chart on 153 was also in 1e, but is still wrong in both (the bottom of the 4G and 5G columns are the same, but should be different).

The success number can be modified, to reflect the amount of time spent by the character before the effort is resolved.

You could negotiate to make it a dice of seconds, with a very low percentage of success.

Then throw a wrench at the jump drive.

Jeraa
This is very helpful, as I haven't gone that deep into the new rules since I've only had it for the last 3 or so days, it clears things up a lot

(and now for my rant with fist in the air) it's a shame Mongoose cannot get these kinds of things coordinated. As RPG gamers /consumers and fans of Traveller who pay cash for your products... fix these issues please. You are a professional publishing company and these simple yet glaring oversights should have been fixed months ago... We all know how mad we get or how frustrated we get if a fast food joint screws up a $5 order, or you find a hair in your food... but a $50 rule book that is still not 'finished cooking" gets tiresome very quickly... (shaking my fist in the air rant over....)

still a fan of mongoose products though...

That being said, this sets up some great and terrifying prospects for an engineer who temporarily fixes a jump drive, or power plant, to escape into jump space. What happens when the power plant or jump drive fails 1D hours later? Assuming the ship has spare parts, I suppose the engineer could continue to "hold it together with sting and bubble gum" for a full week in jumps space? But if it fails.... automatic misjump with a random distance and direction dice roll? Lost in jumps space forever? Or does the ship come out of Jump Space a proper distance in the direction of its destination based on the time spent in J-space before the emergency repairs fail?

Oh... the evil GM thoughts I am having right now... ;)

I don't really see this as a major issue. I always considered these example time frames, certainly the ones for repairs, to be nothing more than guidelines. I think there is a huge variation in how much effort is required to fix a non-functional drive. If they all said exactly the same thing it might create the impression this was a hard and fast rule not just one possibility.

The Jump drive is off for the week in Jump space so can be worked on at leisure. Jump drives only operate for 6 minutes a trip evidently. The power output is a one time thing, so one round basically. So a repair just has to get the ship into Jump space.

There's no simple answer to the question, "How long does a repair take?" Some repairs could be simple to fix, such as a damaged fuse for which replacements are in stock -- or in a combat repair, replaced with a bridge that doesn't provide overload protection. Some are are simple to fix but difficult to diagnose, such as a blown fuse that isn't documented in the manual because it was put in place as part of an improvised modification. Some are just the opposite, easy to diagnose but difficult to repair, such as destruction of a complicated, critical part too large to reasonably stock a spare. And some are both difficult to diagnose and difficult to fix, such as subtle sabotage to computer software.

So how does the game master play it? According to dramatic demands.

Back