Congratulations on Traveller!

I started playing Traveller in 1981, haven't played in 20 years, maybe this will get me back into it. Good news.

Matts announcement said the Mongoose (not Far Future) version will be fathful to classic Traveller. I wonder if we're talking about the Fifth Frontier War era (year 1107 or thereabouts). And if they're being faithful I hope they can fudge it a little so we can get the science skills that classic Traveller lacked!

Has anyone heard anything about the rules? I'm REALLY hoping they use the 2d6 over 8 method. I did not like T4 rules at all.

Congrats on the license, and I must say, thank you very much for your intent to make the rules OGC. You all are clearly great supporters of the OGL...and is it deeply appreciated. 8)

DM said:
Interesting news. I shall watch progress with interest :)

I can honestly claim to be one of the first Traveller players in the UK, having visited Games Day with some friends years ago when it first went on sale in the UK - we ended up starting our first campaign on the steps of the hall at lunchtime :) My loft is jam-packed with my old Classic Trav' stuff!

Will 5th Frontier War, Mayday and Striker be making a comeback under this arrangement?

The "default setting" will come back for sure.

danbuter said:
Has anyone heard anything about the rules? I'm REALLY hoping they use the 2d6 over 8 method. I did not like T4 rules at all.

It won't be either one of those, I think.

pasuuli said:
danbuter said:

If I've read it right it will be a modified T5, which itself is based on T4, last time I looked. It's the most fundamental question to be answered. What is the core task system going to be?

It is looking like I will be supporting this Mongoose line. I want the new Traveller to succeed, and really hope that they get this one right!

First Age said:
pasuuli said:
danbuter said:

If I've read it right it will be a modified T5, which itself is based on T4, last time I looked. It's the most fundamental question to be answered. What is the core task system going to be?

It is looking like I will be supporting this Mongoose line. I want the new Traveller to succeed, and really hope that they get this one right!

I do, too.

T5 was originally started as just a revision of T4, i.e. indistinguishable from it, but has since then drawn more inspiration from the roots of Traveller, to the point where most elements resemble various older forms as much as T4. There was even a draft of a 2D variant, somewhat similar to DGP's Traveller task system.

pasuuli said:
T5 was originally started as just a revision of T4, i.e. indistinguishable from it, but has since then drawn more inspiration from the roots of Traveller, to the point where most elements resemble various older forms as much as T4. There was even a draft of a 2D variant, somewhat similar to DGP's Traveller task system.

Yes, I've been following it.

You know what? And this is heresy in many circles! T4 often reminded me of Classic Traveler, and were I to return to Trav, which it looks like I will, then I'd return via T4.

In the Mongoose version are we talking a 2D6 + adds over a task number, or set difficulty number with variable dice needing to roll low? Which?! Just burbling and building excitement. Personally I'll go wit either f the game is executed well.

Apparently it is a simplified T5, so a target number based on score and skill. Roll under target number on a number of dice determined by the difficulty. average = 2d, difficult= 3d and so on.

First Age said:
In the Mongoose version are we talking a 2D6 + adds over a task number, or set difficulty number with variable dice needing to roll low? Which?! Just burbling and building excitement. Personally I'll go wit either f the game is executed well.

Matt's the man to ask.

Tathlum said:
Apparently it is a simplified T5, so a target number based on score and skill. Roll under target number on a number of dice determined by the difficulty. average = 2d, difficult= 3d and so on.

Thanks for confirming. I'll probably live with that.

Congratulations on my part, too. I took a look at T4 years ago and couldn't really like it. The main point that put me off (and frankly the only thing that I remember from the rules) was that damage reduced character's attributes. Such a basic and important part of Traveller (which started as a far future military game, IIRC) should be handled better.

If you can create a playable and relatively custom made character and the combat system (on the whole) works well is good enough for me. I don't especially care what dice and how they are used to achieve these goals as long as it does.

What comes to GDW games I have seen two extremes in the way they handle damage. In TNE it was almost impossible to kill a PC with normal weapons. In 2300 AD the combat was maybe even too lethal. As the setting is relatively realistic then damage rules should enforce the feeling, too.

I really hope that this works...

Great that Traveller is coming back without any D20 nonsense.

But Mongoose's aim of stopping the fracturing won't work. Too many players will carry on with old versions.

What's the nonsense about T5 and MT? Two systems, T5 a superset of MT? Smacks of Basic and Advanced D&D, VHS vs Betamax, and we know which won those fights. Some stuck with Basic, but not enough to keep the line going.

And books. If Mongoose give us loads of overpriced and badly bound hardbacks, I won't be buying. A single core rulebook is a must.

I've already been stung by the Runequest/Glorantha rip-off, I will not do that again, especially when I can get the entire Classic Traveller line on CD for $35 from Far Future. The office printer will see plenty of use instead. The print quality will be about the same as Mongoose's B&W stuff.

For my part I have all the traveller LBB's and all the MT stuff apart from the DGP books (rebellion era being my fave setting) and it would take some serious marketing to make me pick up new books. While I don't like the rules T20 was/is beautifully made.

It would have to be NEW traveller but with simpler rules for me. If it was RuneQuest rules or even BRP I'd have bought it like a shot but not if it's rules done by Marc Miller. Sorry Marc! (awaits disgruntled e-mail) but the rules were always a little over complex to be fun and cinematic in my honest opinion.

My fave imaginary new traveller setting?
4th imperium with Empress, zhodani, aslan, solomani, etc.
set in the 1400's with a slightly medieval/baroque feel to it. Maybe even different games for different strata?
Nobility/imperial family - looks like dune
Merchants - looks like star wars/coruscant
Army/marines - looks like starship troopers
Scouts - looks like firefly or fading suns

I'll stop now.. and maybe thats the problem. I played traveller (in its original form before i changed everything to brp) over 20 years ago. You just can't please ANY of the traveller fan base anymore...we're all set in our ways and already have our fave editions. The only thing Mongoose can possibly do (IMHO) is to start fresh and get a new set of fans.
I also thinking a set of rules not linked to MRQ is a bad idea when the company itself seems to be gearing towards changing titles it already has to the system... then again, this may be part of the rights agreement... but then Marc was always pretty 'pro-player' and 'fan base' friendly...

steffworthington said:
It would have to be NEW traveller but with simpler rules for me.

[...]

You just can't please ANY of the traveller fan base anymore...we're all set in our ways and already have our fave editions.

Hopefully Mongoose thinks the same about your first point.

Athough old Travellers tend to be set in their ways, if a fresh set of basic rules captures the spirit of Traveller then there will be a migration.

I'd rather see a B5 type d20 Modern version of Traveller for Mongoose.
I don't plan on getting T5 if its a rehash of CT.

I'm a big fan of the B5 books. I hope the production quality for the Traveller stuff is the same as B5.

Mike

Ordinarily I'd be excited about someone releasing a new, supported, version of Traveller. However, given the latest in the long line of goof ups, I'm hesitant. I'll be waiting a LONG time before I pick up a new product from Mongoose. Better to wait for the inevitible relaunch!

Those poor STT folks just can't catch a break. First the minis, now the RPG. Man, I'm glad I steered clear of that mess......

Back