Concept for my first campain

Vortex

Mongoose
In the last years of the second age of mankind, the Babylon station, our last best hope for peace was destroyed.

But refusing to give up this dream, even after the second catastrophe, we chose to rebuild. And this time, we would be vigilant.

The year is 2252. The name of the place is Babylon 3.

Before I give more details, your opinion?

Well IIRC B3 was destroyed before completion as well, so if you're basing your campaign there it'll feature a lot of construction wokers.

LBH

My first campaign was set just before the Earth Minbari war, which was quite a lot of fun.

Basically if this is set at the start of construction, and the politics involved in starting the project yet again... then it would be interesting. Though if they manage to get the thing built, you start going away from cannon, if they fail to get it built, then the campaign can feel like a failure from a players perspective...

I faced this with the players on the side of earthforce during the earth minbari war, where they knew that they could not win a major engagement...

Indeed, there will be a lot of construction workers.

The first thing to know about my campaign is that my players, though experienced and talented role-players, don't know jack about Babylon 5. I think one of them watched 4 or 5 episodes and that's it.

They don't know the story of B3 or B4 so I'll use it as an intro to the setting. Here's the general plan:

The PCs will meet on a flight that will be high jacked by terrorists (probably some form of the Martian resistance). They'll end up diffusing the situation and saving the day and the media will make them kind of folk heroes.

So when the government starts building B3, they'll hire them as "special consultants" for the security of the project. This is purely a political move. They don't expect the party to actually help (they're low level nobodies after all) but it will calm the public back home to know they're watching B3.

There, the players will have a series of encounters and adventure focussing on the security of B3. I'll probably have a telepath, a lurker and an officer or agent so the possibilities are qui wide. I'll try to make them encounter different groups and race through this to familiarise them with the setting.

In the end, obviously, they'll fail and B3 will blow up but they'll be kept in their roles. My players are not dumb. They know the series and the game are called Babylon 5 so they'll probably expect to fail protecting B4 too. But they won't. I'll give them some great menaces but they'll manage to save the station until it comes on line and vanishes taking the group with it.

Two years into the future, they'll be evacuated by Sinclair and Garibaldi coming into the B5 story near the end of season 1, just when it gets interesting.

At that point, I plan to have Delenn and/or Drall become their "mentor". I have a plan for a side story involving Talia and they may be recruited as rangers by Sinclair a few months later if I see that it fits the characters.

Well, I guess I'll have to make some adjustments to my long term plans. Yesterday, we built the first character and the player got quite lucky on the dice. So, she is a mindshreader P12 with a charisma of 17 devoted to Psi Corps and already planning her skills to become a Psi-cop as soon as possible.

I guess I'll have to drop my ideas about Delenn, Sinclair and the Rangers. On the other hand, I guess Bester will probably be her mentor. The frozen telepaths story can make a nice campaign so I'll probably look for a way to use that.

"Well, I guess I'll have to make some adjustments to my long term plans. Yesterday, we built the first character and the player got quite lucky on the dice. So, she is a mindshreader P12 with a charisma of 17 devoted to Psi Corps and already planning her skills to become a Psi-cop as soon as possible."

She would definitely rock the boat of the political power of the psi-cops.

Bester would always check and verify her loyalties to the corp. Sorta like those cop movies where the rookie is very good but unproven to the older veterans.

And some of the lesser telepaths like p-10 to p-11s would probably wonder who she slept with to get to the top. <npcs are not all nice nice in the psi-corp> Or would be approached to have arranged breedings to help enable psi-corp to breed stronger and better telepaths.

Back