Conan vs. DAWN OF THE DEAD

Iron_Chef

Mongoose
To recreate a scary, flesh-eating "plague" zombie ala the new DAWN OF THE DEAD movie and 28 DAYS LATER (with the super-fast, strong zombies) just use the ghoul from p.323 of Conan.

To recreate the classic, slow-moving zombies of the original "Dead Trilogy": NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, DAWN OF THE DEAD and DAY OF THE DEAD, use the "Risen Dead" from p.325 of Conan.

Give both kinds of zombies the following tweaks:

Vulnerability (Ex): Any critical hit is considered to have damaged the brain and instantly killed the zombie, either by decapitation, smashing the skull, or piercing the brain (through the eye, for example). Zombies reduced to zero hit points are also considered to have had their brains destroyed, heads severed, etc, and to become inert.

Infectious (Su): Any living creature (not counting elementals and outsiders) bitten by the zombie must make a Fortitude save (DC 20) or become infected. If the creature dies, it rises as a zombie 1d6 rounds after death. If it does not immediately die from its wounds but fails its saving throw, then it gradually sickens and dies within the next 3 days, rising as a zombie 1d6 rounds later. Each day of infection after the first, the infected creature must make an increasingly difficult Fortitude save or die. The next day's save is DC 25, and the final day's save is DC 30. If the final save is made, the infected creature fights off the infection enough for it to go dormant in its bloodstream, when it will reactivate upon his death, raising it as a zombie. Multiple bites require multiple saves.

Terror Save (Su): Zombies inspire a Terror Save (DC 13 for fast-moving zombies, DC 11 for traditional slow-moving zombies).

Anyone who becomes a zombie loses all class and racial features and abilities, as well as all memory of their past life (except for temporary, odd flashbacks at the GM's discretion).

Beautiful stuff Chef. Especially interesting to me since we're heading out to catch the new DotD movie in a few minutes. Heheheheheh...

Definitely inspires me to run a Zombie session sometime in the near future. I foresee a lonely oasis town somewhere being hit by a plague of zombies in the near future. :twisted:

Never bought or played AFMBE, yet am a huge zombie fan.

There is a dual-statted AFMBE/GURPS adventure/map pack, MALL OF THE DEAD (from Steve Jackson Games) which presents survivor and zombie counters and a detailed shopping mall adventure location (dual sided, hex and square gridded maps). Retails for $14.95.

Looks very good, yup.

If you want to give the players a real scare, however, give the zombies DRwhatever:called shot: a called shot (to the head, of course) granting a circumstance bonus of, oh, 4 to 6 or so, to the zombies DR.

But don't tell them this ahead of time. Let them figure it out on their own. :twisted:

Just came back from seeing the new Dawn. Lotta fun, but not as good as the original, which was an epic and one of my all-time favorite movies. The new fast zombies didn't bother me. What bothered me was I didn't care about any of the characters the way I cared about the four in the 1978 original Dawn. The script was definitely not as clever as George Romero's (who got the shortest screen time for his credit in the film, another irksome moment for me as a Romero fan). Still, the new Dawn's lotsa fun, but I wanted to see more of the happenings in the world at large through the newscasts, hear more on the radio, etc. I recommend seeing the film, and find it compares favorably with 28 Days Later, which didn't have enough zombie action in it (technically they weren't zombies, yeah, I know, but you know what I mean), but was a bit more cerebral. Five minutes of gore and five minutes of character development were cut (gore by MPAA to get an "R" rating , the rest probably for pacing or run time). I'm sure these will end up on a special unrated edition in six months or so. The movie was still gory as hell, though, and it takes a lot of grue to satisfy an old gore hound like me. Intestine-ripping/eating was missing (I hear this was a cut scene for the rating).

Iron_Chef said:
To recreate the classic, slow-moving zombies of the original "Dead Trilogy": NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, DAWN OF THE DEAD and DAY OF THE DEAD, use the "Risen Dead" from p.325 of Conan.

I guess they will do well for the ultra-slow zombies featured in many Fulci movies, like Zombi 2 and City of the Living Dead.

I'll have to wait to see the new Dawn of the Dead, but it is cool that it didn't suck (which I was afraid of). Recently saw the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and it did suck. Wrong Turn was better, even in the gore department I believe.

Oh, I played around little with the HD trailer, and created some wallpapers.

(3,5MB zipfile containing 3 wallpapers in 1280x960).

If you want to check the HD trailer: http://www.wmvhd.com
Note that HD WMV is really taxing on your CPU, check the demands before dl:ing any trailers. ;)

I didn't know they had gun stores in shopping malls that carried shotguns with Sure-Fire forends. I always figured that was more of a tactical accessory, too expensive for the average joe. Oh well, long live armchair commandos! ;)

Johannixx said:
I didn't know they had gun stores in shopping malls that carried shotguns with Sure-Fire forends. I always figured that was more of a tactical accessory, too expensive for the average joe. Oh well, long live armchair commandos! ;)

actually that is a police officers gun, that was brought into the mal..

We have a store in our mall (Cedar Falls, Iowa, USA) which has a large selection of rifles, shotguns, pistols, even some semi-automatic rifles, not to mention the wall of ammo, swords, knives, and various bows and crossbows. Zombie attack, yep thats where I hole up. plenty of Food and plenty of ammo! Not to mention security gates that you can shoot through, heheh.

PsyJack

Geezer said:
I'll have to wait to see the new Dawn of the Dead, but it is cool that it didn't suck (which I was afraid of). Recently saw the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and it did suck. Wrong Turn was better, even in the gore department I believe.

Gonna have to totally disagree with you there. The TCM remake was very good. Wrong Turn, on the other hand, was derivative dogsh*t, where they killed off the only good actor (Jeremy Sisto) in the first ten minutes, leaving us with a cast full of teenage pinheads not much smarter than the inbred freaks chasing them down. Wrong Turn was utterly unwatchable IMO, whereas I'd watch the TCM remake again without hesitation (and I'm a fan of the original 1974 version).

Iron_Chef said:
Gonna have to totally disagree with you there. The TCM remake was very good. Wrong Turn, on the other hand, was derivative dogsh*t, where they killed off the only good actor (Jeremy Sisto) in the first ten minutes, leaving us with a cast full of teenage pinheads not much smarter than the inbred freaks chasing them down. Wrong Turn was utterly unwatchable IMO, whereas I'd watch the TCM remake again without hesitation (and I'm a fan of the original 1974 version).

Well, I didn't say Wrong Turn was good. Just that it was better, which I believe. I didn't like TCM at all, and in the end I hope for Jessica Biel to get chopped up so I got to be spared of more.

I was apparently logged out, but it was me that did the reply.

I guess we got a bit off-topic, but thats life. :)

Geezer said:
I was apparently logged out, but it was me that did the reply.

I guess we got a bit off-topic, but thats life. :)

I wanted to like Wrong Turn, but it just didn't work for me. TCM I wanted to hate, but ended up really enjoying. Go figure! :roll:

Having seen Wrong Turn and the slightly more recent Cabin Fever, I have to say I liked them both, although CF was superior on a number of levels.

And frankly, calling it derivative is like saying James Bond movies are stupid because they all contain the same elements. The Slasher genre has some very ironclad concepts that they all work with, and have been working with for the last 30 years.

I suggest for anyone with a real interest in this genre to read Carol Clover's book "Men, Women, and Chainsaws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film".

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2X694IU1P9&isbn=0691048029&itm=1

Wrong Turn's writer and director must have been making this movie with Clover's book within arm's reach, because the movie is a textbook example of the Slasher genre as it has been defined for the last several decades. And frankly, that's what people who go to see slasher flicks repeatedly WANT. My roommate and I (both former film students) were having a riot calling every move before it happened, which is the ENTIRE POINT behind these movies - you see each gory event a mile away, and can only scream at the characters "Don't open the door!", but alas, it's too late. Too look at movies like "I know what you did last summer", or "Wrong Turn" and say "they're so predicatable!" is not only stating the obvious, it's stating the reason why the movie exists in the first place!

Of course, this isn't to say there aren't "good" and "bad" slasher flicks, but hey, keep in mind the long history these movies have, and how many dozens and dozens of slasher-esque movies have been churned out by Hollywood over the years. Some of these neo-slasher flicks are bad, but I'm sure they're not any worse (or maybe much better) than half the Jason, Freddy, and Halloween movies (Halloween 3 anyone?).

Wrong Turn was not in my mind a "slasher" flick. A slasher flick implies that there is a lone maniac (or rarely a small group as in ALONE IN THE DARK) slicing up a particular segment of society (usually teenagers as in F13, or hookers as in MANIAC) that they have a grudge against. That's my definition, anyway, and I tend to lump anything with freaks, mutants and monsters as the killer into "monster movies" or something else. Nevermind that F13 eventually turns Jason into a zombie; it remains a slasher movie in my mind, because despite the changed condition of the killer, nothing else in the series has changed. Maybe this is a hypocritical and even nonsensensical way to classify horror movies, but it's how I've always done it and isn't something I spend a great deal of thought worrying about.

TCM I don't think of as a slasher flick, perhaps because it came out before that term was popularized in the early 80s, and tends to demean whatever film it is applied to. Wrong Turn, being based on TCM and starring guys in rubber suits, I think of as a monster flick, and while watching it, I felt like I'd already seen this movie many times before and done much better. To me, the only people who would think Wrong Turn clever would be ones who had not yet seen the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre (a sizable majority of today's teenage horror fans, whom Wrong Turn was clearly aimed at).

On another note, it seems to me that most of today's "MTV generation" of viewers don't have any patience at all. I tried showing such a group the original 1978 DAWN OF THE DEAD and all it elicited was boredom and a few mean-spirited snickers as to the "incompetence" of its special effects (!), and its groovy fashions and music. :evil:

Back