Conan RPG review up at RPG.net

Decurio said:
Just wanted to let everyone know that the first Conan the RPG review was up over at RPG.net.

Link for the lazyman? :wink:

What a lame review! I have to admit that I was also a bit skeptical, having been dragged kicking and screaming quite unwillingly into the world of OGL/d20 from the older versions of the game, but even I will admit that this product kicks a**. It looks like a great game in every way and I can't wait to actually play it. If any product deserves 5 out of 5, this one is it.

There were the expected annoying editing problems, but it looks like there's no way to eliminate them from game products. Hint to game companies: turn your spell checker on! Lots of the errors that you see in gaming products would be flagged by the spell checker. Why don't more people use one?

The review is OK, but it doesn't justify the score for Substance. The author didn't really explain why did he give 3 instead of 4.

LWM said:
Lots of the errors that you see in gaming products would be flagged by the spell checker. Why don't more people use one?

Pssibly because teh average RPG contains so many weird names that, whilst spell-checking, you have to "click-through" to get it to accept a word you actually want so many times that a couple of extra click-throughs cannot help but happen.

The best option in such circumstances is perhspas to go through once, clicking OK for *everything* then to read through the custom dictionary file and delete the words you don't want to keep, then spell-checking again and click "change" every time.

The numerical rankings in the RPG.NET review are obviously goofy and dont even jive with the content of the review.

I am about 1/4 way through my detailed reading and very impressed so far. The typos do come pretty fast and thick; most are word ommissions that many people miss when doing a software-aided spell check, but they are pretty clear when a human gives it a fresh reading. I was always taught to read my final text out loud to myself to catch these sorts of mistakes-your ear will never lead you astray, even with a document you have looked at too many times to see errors. Maybe for the second printing.... However, I am not peeved about it. This game was obviously a labor of love, and we all know already that RPG publications have their own lax standards for this sort of thing.

Back