Conan RPG: My view of how it might have lasted longer.

Azgulor

Banded Mongoose
(Long-ass post warning!)

As anyone familiar with my posts already knows, Conan OGL is the only Conan RPG I am interested in purchasing & supporting. The game is what brought me back to d20-based gaming after more than a decade spent playing other systems.

Conan, for me, is the definitive Swords-n-Sorcery RPG. Along with Strom, I'd like to see Conan OGL get a sendoff book. My choice would be for Empires of Hyboria, but honestly, any big Conan OGL expansion that grabbed my interest would do.

Which, unfortunately, brings me to the problem I have with this whole thing... nothing's really grabbed my interest for a while.

I paid careful attention to the ongoing developments, checking almost daily for the latest official Mongoose weigh-in. I posted (perhaps vehemently at times) my preference for Conan to remain d20/OGL and not go MRQ even while I acknowledged Mongoose might have valid reasons for doing so.

I read the horrible news regarding the game, line, and license when Matt felt the impasse had been reached. I have always been impressed by Mongoose's up-front communications with its customers & I continue to be blown away by the great work they did on the Conan RPG. I will be playing the Conan RPG for many, many years to come. To the Mongoose team, and especially Ian Sturrock, Garreth Hanrahan, & Vincent Darlage, you have my heartfelt thanks. Not only did you provide me with the best swords-n-sorcery RPG engine I've ever played/run, you introduced me to the "real" Conan and the beautiful, raw complexity of Howard's Hyboria. (I'd only been exposed to Arnie & pastiche versions previously).

Since Matt's initial "here's where things are" announcement, a lot of time has passed. I'm no publisher, I'm not running a RPG company, and I don't have insider info on customer buying habits. All I have is my game experiences, the feedback of my players, and my own buying habits along with an ability to observe game companies from an outsider's viewpoint.

I say the following as a personal observation, not a condemnation: Conan could have remained viable under the OGL rules. My reasons for saying this:

#1. When I look objectively at my Conan RPG collection, the period ranging from the Atlantean Edition to the 2e rulebook was the line's "golden age". The books released in that period (of which I believe I have almost all) see regular use at my game. I read them for fun. They are cherished treasures in my RPG library. (Which is pretty damn big.)

#2. Conan 2e is a great book and a great jumping-on point. Several significant improvements were made. However, the 2e supplements I've purchased have been, at best, ok. They don't see regular use at my table. They don't grab & hold my interest as much. It's not the B&W vs color, either. You'd have to pry the H's F-est series from my hands. I've almost purchased additional 2e books but backed away when it came time to pull the trigger b/c either the reviews/comments weren't very good or I just wasn't sure the content would enhance my game.

#3. Innovative OGL mechanics. Conan OGL might have been reinvigorated by more innovative, but riskier, OGL mechanics innovations along the lines of the sorcery system itself, Free Companies' mass combat, and Pirate Isle's sea-based subsystems. This was one of the reasons I was so looking forward to Empires of Hyboria. Exhibit A: FantasyCraft. This game, while a big departure from 3.x, can support a tremendous variety of fantasy playstyles ranging from horror, swords-n-sorcery, to high fantasy. While crunchy, the mechanics have a tangible impact and help reinforce character concepts more than a simple character background can. That background now has in-game effects. The game showcases the tremendous flexibility the d20-engine can provide.

#4. OGL-based games are definitely viable, despite those crying the death of d20 & OGL games. Exhibit B: PATHFINDER RPG. Now I assign no blame here, as no one had a crystal ball and could be sure the demand would be there. Paizo was basically betting everything on a single roll of the dice and I can appreciate why Mongoose wouldn't do that. However, there is no denying the success of the RPG. (Over at ENWorld, there's a thread citing the 5 top-selling RPGs -- Pathfinder is #2. Not bad for a dead engine.)

Paizo's business model around all things Golarion is different, and if I had a time machine & a corporate bankroll, the approach I would have suggested would be to focus on Hyboria setting expansion (ala the PF Chronicles line) and adventures of Paizo quality rather than mechanics-oriented books. I also would have stripped down the Conan OGL engine and packaged a license or game around the idea that the Conan mechanics can serve more than just Hyboria. (I've been running campaigns using the Conan RPG in other settings much more than I've run games set in Hyboria itself. Hell, the next campaign I run will be using Conan RPG for a game IN Golarion.) And guess what, Golarion gives off heavy-duty swords-n-sorcery & pulp vibes. Howard is frequently cited as a source of inspiration.

Would this have been a viable option for Mongoose? I can't say and I suspect not.

However, I reject the notion that the Conan RPG using the OGL engine was no longer viable. THAT did not have to be the case. Businesses experience hardships & complications. Writers get burnt out. Competitors throw curve balls (like non-/barely-open new editions). Crap happens. Sometimes the stars have to align just right to capture lightning in the bottle. But it can happen and it COULD have happened under different circumstances.

The expansion into other RPG lines (RQ, Traveller, etc.) was a calculated move on Mongoose's part. Since they gave me my favorite RPG of all time, I wish them success and that ultimately, it was the right decision for the company and its employees.

I do, however, feel that the division of resources & focus negatively impacted the Conan RPG. The consideration of shifting Conan to RQ so soon after the 2e release I think further hurt the line as not only were few resources available, but how to allocate those resources further hurt the focus of the line and ultimately showed in the final content.

In the final analysis, things are where they stand today for a variety of different reasons. Mongoose was in a tought spot and no one knew where the industry was headed. From what I understand, the tenuous dip into 4e product didn't reproduce the success of d20 & OGL content of years past. Mongoose has an obligation to its employees and customers to try and prosper and survive and choices were made. While I wish those choices had stayed in the realm of the OGL and strengthened the Conan line, I didn't have to put my livelihood on the line to try it.

Thanks again, to everyone at Mongoose who helped create, write, produce, & publish the Conan RPG. I am in your debt and very, very grateful.

I'll join Azgulor on thanking Mongoose for this RPG, which is my favorite, whit L5R very close to it, but I also have to say that I'm very sad that we won't get any more books.

I believe I'll keep playing Conan D20 as long someone wanna play it whit me.

Simply, I love the Conan game! :D And I will continue to play the game as long as the books don't fall apart! :lol:

My personal opinion is that CONAN THE RPG became too cumbersome.
The beauty of ADD was that it was always contained in 3 books.
Conan always expanded, whether it was Faith and Fervour, Free Companions, or even (my fave) Skrolls of Skelos, to make matters even WORSE they decided to do a 2nd edition.

WTF, I just spent $200 on the 1st and you pull this 2nd Ed. baloney!

All in all, the players kept wanting more, and MGP kept delivering more. At some point it becomes like "liars poker"...
How much so you want???
well, how much do I need???

There are those out there who will buy what we need, not what is offered.

MGP forgot that CONAN is still a niche product, we won't have the name recoginition of Xmen, thus they cant produce so many volumuinous editions and whatnot.

just my 2 cents.
D20 9s not dead, just too broad.

There is a reason the retro clones are soaring in popularity: #1 fewer materials and #2 less rules/ expansion BS.

I didn't buy any supplements after the Hyborian Bestiary. The bestiary was already filled with weak mechanics and total waste of pages. For example, there are several monsters that have exactly the same function game-wise. Like multiple hound/wolf/whatevers, not to mention wasting space for all kinds of mundane animals.

Each of them still has a full stat block and thus takes an entire page. The same information could have been shown with less text and leave space for more interesting things. Either more original, different monsies or filling the pages with less monsters, but giving them more space. Like telling how to use them and give adventure hooks regarding their use et cetera.

A friend bought Warriors Companion, Cimmeria and Khitai. I must say I was very disappointed by their quality. The mechanics in Warrior's are simply broken for the most part. Cimmeria and Khitai... ugh, they don't feel very Howardian to me.

So yeah, I unfortunately think the quality of Mongoose Conan books dropped considerably after the Second Edition. The 2nd Edition itself was a disappointment, as it didn't touch the main mathematical problems regarding the game at all. (Wooo, bardiche now does 1d8+1d10 instead of 2d10! This saves the game balance!)

Azgulor, great post!
This is my definitive d20 and S&S game and I will play it for ages!
Mongoose did great things in the past...but today the only result they get from Conan is to have lost some customers (including me)...but I have still my game to play!!

The expansion into other RPG lines (RQ, Traveller, etc.) was a calculated move on Mongoose's part. Since they gave me my favorite RPG of all time, I wish them success and that ultimately, it was the right decision for the company and its employees.

I do, however, feel that the division of resources & focus negatively impacted the Conan RPG. The consideration of shifting Conan to RQ so soon after the 2e release I think further hurt the line as not only were few resources available, but how to allocate those resources further hurt the focus of the line and ultimately showed in the final content.

I was thinking about this since they said Conan rpg was dead.... MRQ killed Conan....and I have still to meet somebody who demonstrate that the majority of players in the world prefer RQ over d20....

OGL-based games are definitely viable, despite those crying the death of d20 & OGL games. Exhibit B: PATHFINDER RPG. Now I assign no blame here, as no one had a crystal ball and could be sure the demand would be there. Paizo was basically betting everything on a single roll of the dice and I can appreciate why Mongoose wouldn't do that. However, there is no denying the success of the RPG. (Over at ENWorld, there's a thread citing the 5 top-selling RPGs -- Pathfinder is #2. Not bad for a dead engine.)

If one thinks that mongoose put efforts in publishing something as dead as "dragon warriors"....

To Spectator:
The question is not "quantity" but "quality"....

As far as I remember ADD died under the weight of sourcebooks....especially because you could play ADD without those sourcebooks, just with the 3 main books.
Conan rpg is even better: all in one book.
But sourcebooks are essential to be published if you want your player to be happy.
Think about the nature of Conan rpg...."background" is an important element in this game, so geographic sourcebooks are essential.
Have a look at these forums and see how many people praise exceptional setting books as "Across the Thunder River" and "Stygia".... unfortunately Mongoose stopped producing books of that quality, so people stopped buying crappy things as "cities" and "Khitai" which, I mean, are not extremely bad in themselves....but their quality is not at the same level of the old Vincent Darlage setting sourcebooks.

All in all, the players kept wanting more, and MGP kept delivering more. At some point it becomes like "liars poker"...
How much so you want???

I'm still waiting for a "Turan" sourcebook....players in these forums cried for it for years....and they gave us the bloody Cimmeria and Khitai.....

The problem with any RPG line is becoming weighed down by supplements, which is why RPGs are a hard business to be in if you want continuing profits - the rulebooks are generally all you need to play the game, and supplements therefore have to be of high quality to sell in the same bulk as the rules. There are really only so many extra rules you can add to the game through supplements before it becomes too cumbersome to run or the rules start to be utterly pointless "splat books" like the ones White Wolf were notorious for releasing.

Even the background books were pretty pointless from my point of view. I really have no desire to know the name and hair-colour of every shoe maker in Tarantia, and if I want a Turan supplement I'll just google ancient Persia or the Ottoman Empire and go from there - it's not Middle Earth for heaven's sake.

New systems are therefore always an attempt in an RPG line to restore sales by starting a whole new line. Sadly it's one that rarely works as far as I can see.

RPGs are like bands - they release their first two albums to critical acclaim, win lots of fans who buy the next two albums. Then they burn our, run out of ideas and have a dramatic change of direction which loses them lots of their fans.

Some manage, largely through nostalgia, to keep churning out the same old stuff and still have a good fan base (is D&D the Status Quo or AC/DC of RPGs?), but most just fade out because you just cannot keep releasing amazing albums for 20 years running.

The good news is there are plenty of bands who still put on a great live show even after 30 years or so - in other words, just keep running Conan and enjoying it!

Spectator said:

Then again if they would have stopped making new supplements and improvements game would have been dead even sooner...

You can't have it both. No new products to buy and live game. Game is either dead or it will get new edition sooner or later.

Spectator said:
Conan always expanded, whether it was Faith and Fervour, Free Companions, or even (my fave) Skrolls of Skelos, to make matters even WORSE they decided to do a 2nd edition.

How much so you want???

MGP forgot that CONAN is still a niche product, we won't have the name recoginition of Xmen, thus they cant produce so many volumuinous editions and whatnot.

just my 2 cents.

There is a reason the retro clones are soaring in popularity: #1 fewer materials and #2 less rules/ expansion BS.
+1
I only own AE, Books of Skelos and Ruins of Hyboria, and I felt I did not need anymore. The beauty of the original idea is that everything was in one book; and I still recall the discussions during the playtests, in which the current multiclassing rules were chosen because there would be no need for Prestige Classes (and we all know how it went). When splatbooks started to flow, and a 2e was announced...I knew it was the beginning of the end.
Things like Empires, or campaign books; these are the books I would have gladly bought. Tools to use at the table to expand my campaigns.

Spectator said:

How much so you want???

just my 2 cents.

(Emboldening mine.)

Spot on all the way. 8)
The abandonment of Conan 1E is what was the final straw for me. D20 became too wearisome for me, and that's why I went back to 1E AD&D, OD&D and Basic. I needed to get back to 'the Roots' of the hobby to clear my head and realign my gaming compass, if you will. I totally support the retro-clone and the Old School Renaissance (Swords and Wizardry has done an especially nice job, BTW), because these things are, in part, a reaction to the bloat of d20 and the poor marketing strategies of Wizbro, and their appalling public relations blunders. Furthermore, I can personally attest that a certain publisher (*strong wink*) does not respect their writers, and this results in shoddy product. I got fed up and left because of a confluence of these and other factors. I would not be surprised if WotC collapses and Hasbro will be eager to sell off any dead weight. Sorry for the rambling. :)

Back to the place where grognards roll the bones...

Yogah of Yag said:
D20 became too wearisome for me, and that's why I went back to 1E AD&D, OD&D and Basic. I needed to get back to 'the Roots' of the hobby to clear my head and realign my gaming compass, if you will. I totally support the retro-clone and the Old School Renaissance (Swords and Wizardry has done an especially nice job, BTW), because these things are, in part, a reaction to the bloat of d20 and the poor marketing strategies of Wizbro, and their appalling public relations blunders. Furthermore, I can personally attest that a certain publisher (*strong wink*) does not respect their writers, and this results in shoddy product. I got fed up and left because of a confluence of these and other factors. I would not be surprised if WotC collapses and Hasbro will be eager to sell off any dead weight. Sorry for the rambling. :)

Back to the place where grognards roll the bones...

You touch a point. I'm in similar situation: I'm not able to run d20 (Pathfinder actually) as smooth, as I want it to be, because of all those modifiers, stacking or not stacking bonuses, specific rules. Last combat, a minor one in adventure meaning, between three PCs and three NPCs and twelve opponents (of low complicity if rules are called) lasted almost two hours. Everyone got bored! So we're facing a problem, what to do with two hear old campaign? Dump it? Convert the rules (for a a second time actually), and if yes, so to what set?

Yes d20 in third edition and fourth disguise became too complicated and goes against role playing and become roll- or rule-playing. This is why I fell in love with Savage Worlds (I ran a Conan adventure of my design with those rules).

I just want to make the point that the Conan game is "dead" only if you don't play it.

I understand what you mean--that no more "official" supplements will be coming out, but, really, we've got more than enough official stuff to create campaigns that will last a life time.

One of my favorite games of all time is Classic Traveller. I like it better than any of its sequels and clones, including the Mongoose version. I play the heck out of that game, and it's been "dead" for decades.

I love the James Bond game from the 80's. Still play it. Top Secret/SI, too, I play. Great mechanics system. Mercenaries, Spies & Private Eyes. Love it. High Colonies. Good Game. Blue Planet.

Right now, I'm playing a 2nd edition D&D campaign.

All of these are "dead" games. Just because there are no new supplements to be published for them, does that mean that they need to be "dead" and "buried"?

Or, should we still play them?

I think I'll be playing Mongoose's Conan game for a long, long time.

Paladyn said:
Everyone got bored! So we're facing a problem, what to do with two hear old campaign? Dump it? Convert the rules (for a a second time actually), and if yes, so to what set?
I would suggest Castles & Crusades as a good alternative and the closest in terms of general mechanics to d20 Conan. You can easily port the equipment and spells, for example.

...[/quote]

Last combat, a minor one in adventure meaning, between three PCs and three NPCs and twelve opponents (of low complicity if rules are called) lasted almost two hours. Everyone got bored! .[/quote]

There was a simplicity to the ADnD that is tough to beat.
Back in the day that migh have lasted 20-30 minutes, tops.

Paladyn said:
Last combat, a minor one in adventure meaning, between three PCs and three NPCs and twelve opponents (of low complicity if rules are called) lasted almost two hours.

:shock:

Crikey! That's a lot of time better spent on other things, IMHO.

Yes it is. I'll give d20 kast shot, throwing some rules out of window, incorpratng massive damage rule from Conan and if it will fail, I'll switch game system for Savage Worlds.

I've come back to Conan after a couple of years away. My only other experience of D20 comes from the Star Wars RPG - which seems a hell of a lot less complicated and rules heavy... I don't generally like to use minatures in RPGs and I think if you throw out all the tactical movement stuff from the Conan rules its a lot more playable.

djd said:
I've come back to Conan after a couple of years away. My only other experience of D20 comes from the Star Wars RPG - which seems a hell of a lot less complicated and rules heavy... I don't generally like to use minatures in RPGs and I think if you throw out all the tactical movement stuff from the Conan rules its a lot more playable.

I don't think it's necessarily rules heavy, and I'm new to the Conan RPG, too (been around here on the forum a while, but only played a short adventure before).

It's more complicated than a simple attack throw, then throw damage if you hit. But, I don't think the game is "super complicated" or even that complex.

How big is the combat chapter in the rulebook? It's massive! And that doesn't take into account all the feats that you have to keep in mind. People used to say Rolemaster was a complicated system but to me that was a doddle compared to what Conan gets you to wade through :eek:

True, it's not "simple". But, I don't think its unmanageable.

It's not something you can sit down with and have running in five minutes. But, after a couple of combats, I think the combat system flows.

Back