Conan Music

I'm giving this thread a little bump - as it seems like it could be pretty useful to a lot of people, and I'm curious if anyone else has things they play that haven't been listed yet.

Don't use mood music- my voice tends to be quiet and I don't want to be drowned out. I do however listen to music when I write and compose storylines- usually on headphones at maximum volume and the darker and more violent the better.

Could be why my combined campaigns are up to 30+ PC kills in the last year....8)

Raven

LokiOne said:
I am especially looking for something for a new Cmapaign starting in or near the Pictish frontier - especially with some Wardrums, etc.

Additionally - I am very partial to playing some mood music when I have the Players venture down to the Black Kingdoms ... (More drums as well). Especially with the lovely new sourcebook now available.

Any suggestions ??? I'll really have to get an iPod .... Can they play the correct theme in a 'looped/ replay' mode ?

There is a long instrumental track at the end of a Neurosis album ( I think Enemy of the Sun) that is nothign but drums and didgerdoo. It is pretty cool.

Hi forum, first post :)

You guys seem to be pretty close to what I usually use for fantasy rpgs. For Conan, so far, it's been Pirates of the Carribean, Master and Commander, Conan the Barbarian (duh! :wink: ), O Fortuna (both Imperatrix Mundi and that second track) and some stuff with fast drums I can't remember where I got my hands on but it might be from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

It's all worked really well (better than usual), and specificly Pirates and O Fortuna really set the mood nicely. We do run a classic pirate campaign though, so this might not be appropriate for all groups.

I'm also planning on including some tracks by Loreena McKennit, the chant-theme from Eyes Wide Shut (done by Evil Monk) and something baruqueish by Verdi for when all those ghastly arcane terrors come to light later on in the campaig...

LokiOne said:
I'll really have to get an iPod .... Can they play the correct theme in a 'looped/ replay' mode?
Yes, you can have a Playlist of one song and Repeat set. On iTunes, you can just set "repeat song". Actually, iTunes allows you to navigate etc. more easily -- but, of course, you'd have to have your computer in the room where you're playing.

I agree with quite a few of the suggestions already made -- POTC, Gladiator, LOTR, Dracula, Philip Glass, Wagner, Holst (some of the Planets suite). I'd also suggest a few other soundtracks: Peter Gabriel's Birdy; Brian May's Furia (that's Queen's Brian May, not the soundtrack composer from Mad Max, etc.); Orbital's Octane.

Ciao,
Ant

In the Conan The Barbarian Soundtrack - done by Basil Poledouris -, I heard Latin verses in some musics (like "Riders of Doom" and "The Kitchen"). Someone knows where could I find, in the net, these wonderful lyrics, with these verses?

Fernando, you are fast turning into a grave robber by digging up all these very old threads. :shock: :lol: :D I can smell freshly upturned earth and embalming fluids! :shock:
In the future, if a thread is more than a year old, it is best to start one anew. 8)

Slightly off-topic: I'm starting to read up Spycraft 2.0 and would probably have some techno, goa-psy trance music in the background, in addition to the Matrix Soundtrack. :twisted:

Here's an unconventional choice: The first part of Boston's Forplay/Longtime. Just the guitar riffs at the beginning. Makes me think "Fighting Madness!!!"
MP

Valgrim said:
Here's an unconventional choice: The first part of Boston's Forplay/Longtime. Just the guitar riffs at the beginning. Makes me think "Fighting Madness!!!"
MP

That's odd. It makes me think of lighting one up, then getting to third in the backseat of my '78 Camero. 8)

A couple of years ago there was an attempt to bring out a Conan game for either the PS2 or Xbox. While the game was released in Europe, to dismal reviews, it never made it to the US.
However, because of the number of request for the music the creators decided to put it up on the 'net.

Here's the link to Conan music from a video game that almost no-one knows about.

http://www.cauldron.sk/projects/conan/music.html

recently my players were entering a creepy monster-infested mine, then later they were sneaking around trying to avoid pict ambushes in the dark with dense fog. to increase the tension i was playing some Sunn O))) (the track 'Decay2 [Nihils Maw]' from the album 'White 2') ... it was PERFECT. freaked them out, big time.
i'm guessing you guys probably don't listen to much Sunn O))), but i highly reccomend that track to up the creep-level.

I don't use music as much since I tend to do a lot of gaming in a club where there are three or four other games playing in the same room and I don't want to interfere with them.

I am surprised that neither Carmena Bruana (Orff) or 'Mozarts' Requim didn't make those lists though

Other favorites include 'Tone Poems' by Strauss (dramatic music from 2001) and occasionaly some opera tracks

To be honest, our group kind of frowned on background music when I tried it. It was great having something dramatic playing while we were getting set up but once the action started, the music was kind of a distractiion. We gave it up after a half hour or so hand have never tried it again.

I thought to raise this thread from the dead, since I have a (legal) music download link to share. I just downloaded soundtrack of Ultima V Lazarus, available here:
http://lazarus.thehawkonline.com/music.html

With those tracks, my Conan (and general fantasy) soundtrack just broke the limit of 24 hours of music. 24:23 now, to be exact. As you can guess from that, I use music extensively in the games I lead. I have several distinct soundtracks for different moods and envinronments, mostly for scifi, fantasy and horror. I don't know if it helps the player to get in the mood, but it certainly inspires me when I'm leading.

I've seen the movie 300 and I think its soundtrack would be nice for Conan. Very bombastic and powerful, although it has a dinstinct Spartan/Greek flavour.

Mythos said:
A couple of years ago there was an attempt to bring out a Conan game for either the PS2 or Xbox. While the game was released in Europe, to dismal reviews, it never made it to the US.
However, because of the number of request for the music the creators decided to put it up on the 'net.

Here's the link to Conan music from a video game that almost no-one knows about.

http://www.cauldron.sk/projects/conan/music.html

I just had to add that I downloaded those tracks and some of them are very good, all of them definetely usable.

The Conan movie soundtrack by Basil is awesome, also alot of stuff from Hammerfall, Blind guardian and Manowar... alot of 80's metal works.

May the blood upon your steel never dry!

Back