[CONAN] Keeping Low Level Characters Alive

None of my players have played the Conan RPG before my campaign started. All of them have played D&D before (1E and 2E, but not 3E). So, there's a lot of new concepts for them to digest. Even after a year and a half with the campaign, we're still learning the system (we've only had 6 game sessions...life gets in the way...number 7 this Friday, but then I'm out of town until November).

It's a dangerous game. You cannot play it like you do a D&D game (in my opinion). You cannot run into a room full of enemies as you would a room full of Orcs and slay away. In this game, that's a good way to get your character killed. You have to be smarter than that. Think tactically. Use teamwork. Don't forget distance weapons. All this, to survive battles in this game.

The PCs in my game are getting close to 3rd level. I think a session or three, and they'll be there. Along the way, I've picked up some thoughts on keeping low level characters alive in this very dangerous game. If you've got some input on this, I'd love to hear it.

First off, there's armor. That's a given. It's obvious. My campaign is centered around Cimmerians, so armor hasn't been the topic of conversation yet. But, I'm about to introduce the joys of armor to my crew next game session. Using the partial armor rules in the Barbaric Warrior supplement, even a barbarian can add to his loincloth a pair of bracers and a helmet to get the character to DR 2. 1 point off of every damage roll that comes the character's way adds up. And, for non-barbarians, better armor protection is more the norm. And, conan never turned down a chain shirt when he knew he might need it.

A shield, also, is obvious. It boosts the heck out of your Parry defense.

But, let's look beyond the obvious. What else can help keep a low level character alive in this game?

The various combat maneuvers, used at the right time, can be a boon for the PC's. One of the leads in my group has maxed out his Tumble skill (due to his high INT....Tumble is not a class skill for Barbarians). The player is looking to do things like Conan did in the new movie where he ran, jumped up on a wall, pushed off, then came swinging down on his enemy, almost like a charge that includes a jump and push off a wall. That's a Use the Battlefield maneuver that can net the character a +2 modifier on his attack.

Or, let's say the PC has taken a big blow, delivered by his enemy, and the PC needs to get out of the melee, quick, before he is killed. He can choose to Withdraw (but the enemy will probably follow him), use Total Defense (if a comrade is close that can help him within a round or two), or, he can use the Dance Aside maneuver. This allows the character to take an immediate 5' step, if the maneuver is successful.

So, using Dance Aside, the character immediately moves 5 feet, then, on his turn, when he's already 5' from his foe, he can decide to run from his enemy without worrying about an Attack of Opportunity (unless the foe has a weapon with reach). Dance Aside is a good maneuver to get a character out of melee when the chips are down.

Another thing that I think should almost be automatic for low level characters in this dangerous game is to employ the Fight Defensively rule. The character takes a -4 on his attacks but gains a +2 to his defense for the round. Sure, he won't hit as often (and I do believe that a good offense is a great defense), but that +2 defense, on top of a shield bonus, will go a long way to keeping a low level character alive.

Last but not least is not a rule found in the book, but one that I've interpreted from the rules. Look at the uses for Fate Points. See the use for a character's Destiny? Well, when a character levels, and he roll his hit die, I will allow him to re-roll that hit die, at the player's option. This costs a Fate Point. You only start with 3 FPs, so this is a valuable commodity that is being used. And, the character is bound by the second throw, no matter if it is lower or higher than the original throw (just like the "Roll Again" use of Fate Points). Thus, if you rolled a 1 or a 2 for hit points (when they are so desperately needed at low level), it's probably a good bet to blow the Fate Point and try again, being bound by whatever is thrown. I've got a character in my game that, moving from first to second level, rolled a 4 on his d10 hit die throw. He's got the option to try again, but there's a fair shot that he'll roll the same or lower (40%). So...is it worth the try and the loss of a Fate Point? Only the player can decide that.

What can you add to these thoughts? What else will keep low level characters healthy in this very dangerous game?

You are quite right about not being able to approach the game like vanilla DnD. That's a sure fire way to get your character killed. I think the most important thing is for both players and GM to appreciate this. There's no point in players playing 'sensibly' if the Gm doesn't have the feel for the setting(and the accompanying rules). Players learn quickly from the short, sharp, shock of early character loss. It is often inexperienced GM's who need to change their styles.

It's important to set your encounters realistically at low levels. Four first level characters in the Westermark for example(borderers and barbarians). I think a good challenge would be a pair of Lvl1 Picts. The Picts are better at using their surroundings and if either gets away then the characters are in a heap of trouble as the more experienced warriors of the pictish clan descend on them with whoops and war clubs.

In short, there's nothing quite like an experienced Gm to keep low levels in the game, unless the players are complete numptys. :lol:

Fighting on the Run - it's mind boggling how many people are locked into D20 that they forget that is the norm. It threw everyone the first time I introduced a rogue who wouldn't hold still. A 10' dash in, attack, tumble back out for 10'. This might generate an AOO (if the tumble fails), but you also deny any full round actions your opponent may have (or at least you won't be the target of any they DO decide to use).

Cover - use it.

Aid another - grants a frikkin +2 to another player, yet I've seen plenty of players perpetually swing-and-miss rather than aid another player to hit.

With a good bluff, feint is actually easier to pull off at lower levels. Deny your foe is dodge/parry bonuses.

Fight dirty. You're dirty, dirty barbarians so start acting uncivilized. Use hide skills to get a couple of you close. Bluff checks from other members to distract your unsuspecting foes to look the wrong way. While their distracted, several of you use grapple checks to snatch one of them into the forest/bushes/opportune concealment/etc. to dispose of.

Set up traps to lure your opponents into. Snare traps can leave opponents dangling and helpless, while you deal with others.

Mach5RR said:
Fighting on the Run - it's mind boggling how many people are locked into D20 that they forget that is the norm. It threw everyone the first time I introduced a rogue who wouldn't hold still. A 10' dash in, attack, tumble back out for 10'. This might generate an AOO (if the tumble fails), but you also deny any full round actions your opponent may have (or at least you won't be the target of any they DO decide to use).

That's a fantastic comment (great post!). I just "rediscovered" that rule yesterday when I was looking through my new Atlantean Edition book.

But, how does that work with a non thief? A barbarian moves up 25 feet to an enemy, knocks the hell out of him, then moves 5 feet away. He only moves 5 feet at the end, there. Does the target still get an AoO on him? Or, is that considered a 5' step where AoO's don't apply?

And, doesn't this Fighting on the Run rule make Tumble a must-have skill?

I am pretty sure the Five Foot Step is a mechanic in and of itself different from moving Five Feet. Since you can't take a Five Foot Step as part of an attack or move, it's just regular movement and thus subject to getting smacked.

M.

Cheomesh said:
I am pretty sure the Five Foot Step is a mechanic in and of itself different from moving Five Feet. Since you can't take a Five Foot Step as part of an attack or move, it's just regular movement and thus subject to getting smacked.

M.

I think so, too.

Supplement Four said:
But, how does that work with a non thief? A barbarian moves up 25 feet to an enemy, knocks the hell out of him, then moves 5 feet away. He only moves 5 feet at the end, there. Does the target still get an AoO on him? Or, is that considered a 5' step where AoO's don't apply?

And, doesn't this Fighting on the Run rule make Tumble a must-have skill?

A 5' step can only be performed when no other movement is performed in that round (Conan 2nd, pg 189). Your barbarians initial 25' move prevents that. The remainder is just continuing your move action for another 5' (as Cheomesh stated).

And no, tumble isn't necessary. If any of your guys are barbarians, they should be jockeying to take the mobility feat ASAP.
This gives some short term as well as long term advantages.
The initial advantage is a +4 to defense against AOO while moving. So instead of attempting a tumble (which halves movement rate) to avoid AOO, his improved defense may be enough.
Your barbarian will now have access to the kip up maneuver, which allows him to make an immediate recovery roll (via jump or tumble) to avoid being tripped/knocked prone.

Long term advantage is that your barbarian will have access to improved mobility at level 5. No more AOO at all when moving greater than 5'.
And finally gives you access to greater mobility at level 10 (vice 15), which allows you to split your moves as you see fit, yet still gives you all your attacks.

My group just battled one of their nemesis who was a 12th level Vanir barbarian, who I gave the mobility feat too, as well as being fleet-footed. They were 5 7th levels, who quickly dispatched his henchmen. He was able to run circles around them, attacking them all using the greater mobility to reduce everybody to one standard action when attacking him, while retaining all of his attacks. I screwed up by having him holding still in one spot, which allowed the hyperborean soldier to take a 5' step and unleash all of her attacks, actually getting two crits with a broadsword. She spent a fate chip to ensure max damage, which put him at -1 hit points. Unfortunately for her, he had diehard, fate chips of his own, at two-handed sword, and nothing to lose. He shattered his two-handed sword against her, causing her to spend a fate chip to be left for dead. At this point all the group had left standing were the borderer and the thief. The thief tried to come in for a feint, but ended up getting grappled and choked out. He was initially excited, as grappling denies the grappler the use of dodge/parry to outside attackers until he discovered that big Vanir can easily use small Zamorians as Human Shields to parry.

Back