[CONAN] How does the Scholar work in other d20 games?

thorr-kan

Mongoose
I've just recently come into contact with d20 Conan, and the scholar class intrigues me. I'm interested in alternative magic systems for low magic or d20 Modern games. My preferred spellcaster is more Glen Cook then REH; phenomenal cosmic power, but a knife in the ribs will still slow you down. But I'm interested in alternatives.

Noting that I don't have access to Conan RPG book, I've got a couple of questions.

First, how does the Scholar port to other d20 game, if normal PH or d20 Modern spellcaster classes are ignored?

Second, is the magic system open to other classes via feat or skill?

thorr-kan said:
First, how does the Scholar port to other d20 game, if normal PH or d20 Modern spellcaster classes are ignored?

Not without some modification. Most Class -including Scholar- have better HD then in regular d20 system. You have to content with 2 diffensive value Dodge/parry. But it's doable.

Also keep in mind that Scholar can be totally non-spellcaster too.

thorr-kan said:
Second, is the magic system open to other classes via feat or skill?

Generally speaking: No.

However, Temptress can have limited access -if she choose Sorcery as her secret art- and the "Dabbler" Feat give you some sorcerous lore.

It can only be taken once.

You must choose 1 school among 3 choices(counterspell, divination, curse) only in which you have some knowledge.

Essentially you make an Knowledge(Arcane roll) to remember the bit of Sorcerous knowledge you've learned. There's 2 DC level to beat. The lowest only allow you to cast the Basic spell of that style, the highest one allows you to cast an advanced spell randomly chosen BY the GM for you to cast.

So Dabbler has a lot of randomness to it.

Boneguard said:
It can only be taken once.

You must choose 1 school among 3 choices(counterspell, divination, curse) only in which you have some knowledge.

That's too bad; it would be nice if you could dabble in *anything.*

Boneguard said:
Essentially you make an Knowledge(Arcane roll) to remember the bit of Sorcerous knowledge you've learned. There's 2 DC level to beat. The lowest only allow you to cast the Basic spell of that style, the highest one allows you to cast an advanced spell randomly chosen BY the GM for you to cast.

So Dabbler has a lot of randomness to it.

So, one level, "Look what I can do!" and the other "Let me check my notes...(chaos erupts as the DM cackles gleefully)."

Thanks for the time.

thorr-kan said:
So, one level, "Look what I can do!" and the other "Let me check my notes...(chaos erupts as the DM cackles gleefully)."

Thanks for the time.

In a way Yes. One day Is Basic spell (Magic missile) The next Day: "Look Ma!!! FIREBALL!!!!!"

This randomness can be used by the GM to either Help you (you remimber something useful) or provide...RP opportunity.

Boneguard said:
thorr-kan said:

Thanks for the time.

In a way Yes. One day Is Basic spell (Magic missile) The next Day: "Look Ma!!! FIREBALL!!!!!"

This randomness can be used by the GM to either Help you (you remimber something useful) or provide...RP opportunity.

'Cause, ya know, trusting the DM always works so well. :shock:

Boneguard said:
Generally speaking: No.

However, Temptress can have limited access -if she choose Sorcery as her secret art- and the "Dabbler" Feat give you some sorcerous lore.

I missed this before. Could the Temptress double up on Sorcery as her secret art and still take Dabbler for some depth?

thorr-kan said:
I missed this before. Could the Temptress double up on Sorcery as her secret art and still take Dabbler for some depth?

Yes it's possible. Temptress Secret Art allow her to have access to any 1 school of Magic. Dabbler gives her potential knowledge is one of the 3 school mentionned earlier...and I forgot to mention that Dabbler is usable only once a month at the most.

So the Temptress Skill is much better.

thorr-kan said:
Oh, well. Hyboria's Fallen was only $8 at the Paizo sale. Still worth it.

Definitively.

I highly recommand all 3 Books (Fiercest, Finest, Fallen) as they all complete the gma well and provide enough useful nugget to be worth the price.

For the first time (haven't really needed it before), I've been learning the ins-and-outs of sorcery and reading up on the Scholar class.

I love, Love, LOVE, the magic system in this game. I think it captures the feel of sorcery in Conan's universe perfectly.

Secondly, it seems that multi-classing into Scholar is best if it is the last class. For example, if a player aims for a Thief, Soldier, Scholar combination, it's best to get the multiclassing for Thief and Soldier out of the way first,then add the Scholar class last.

Why?

Because of the Rule of Obsession. Scholars who multiclass into other classes lose 1-3 Power Points for that entire level until they are again focusing on the Scholar class. That rule, alone, makes the Scholar class something that you want to multi-class into last, or never multi-classs, being a Scholar class straight through from level 1.

Hey all, just wondering how I get access to the AoC forum? I am very interested in this game and will probably end up buying it if it doesnt suck where art thou Open Beta???

Thanks

AwamaPtCB said:
Hey all, just wondering how I get access to the AoC forum? I am very interested in this game and will probably end up buying it if it doesnt suck where art thou Open Beta???

Thanks

Unless someone here plays AoC, I have no clue how. Mongoose has nothing to do with Age of Conan so there's nothnig here for it.

Maybe a google search might help find it.

When I played AoC, a person just needed a sign on for the game. Since the game is free, just sign up. That should get you access to the forum.

But, you do realize that this forum is dedicated to Mongoose's games for which they no longer have a license, and the pen-and-paper Conan Roleplaying game is one of those. The Age of Conan MMO game is an entirely different animal.

Back