Conan de Cimmeria, Vol I (1932-1933)

Vincent791

Mongoose
I just bought this book and I'm impressed, the presentation is awesome, it has all the writes of Howard from 1932-1933.

http://conan.timunmas.com/

It's illustrated by Mark Schultz. He's the one that used to draw Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. One of my favorite artists along with Frazetta. Here is a sample of his art:

http://conan.timunmas.com/ilustraciones.html

Also it has the maps of Howard and some ideas that didn't became a novel or story.

Hope to get soon the Volume 2 that has been just released a couple of weeks ago. Volume 2 has all the writes from 1934, including Hour of the Dragon I think.

The complete collection will be of 3 Volumes. Pretty good stuff.

I already saw the cover on amazon.
The Conan pictured there is very similar to Antonio Banderas.

René said:
This is available only in Spanish, isn't it?
IIRC, its the Spanish edition of the English tradepaper "The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian", published by Del Rey. which in turn is based of the Wandering Star Edition.
Don't know if there are currently any editions published in German.

Reading Howard's material in German would be a blast! :)
I wonder if there are any competent translations available.
Years ago I had a Swedish translation of Tolkien's Silmarillion which was pretty miserable. :cry:

Mythos said:
IIRC, its the Spanish edition of the English tradepaper "The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian", published by Del Rey. which in turn is based of the Wandering Star Edition.

I like the English version of The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian, but was a bit stranged by the 2nd volume which is a different size and format than the first volume. The quality of the paper looks a bit better, but the size isn't the same so putting them on a shelf looks odd.

Awaiting the 3rd volume.

Yogah of Yag said:
Lando The Archmagi:

You're aware, of course, that magi is the plural of magus? :? :shock:

Indeed I am well aware of it, and it goes back a long time ago (25 yrs of real life gaming to be exact) to the old 1st edition titles that classes received per level.

When Lando earned "Archmagi" status, he literally changed his name to be "Lando The Archmagi" and has been ever since.

He's now long retired, and is a dual class Mage/Fighter, and took over Boccob's spot in the gods of Oerth/Greyhawk and rules the "Valley of the Mage" and is married to a Dark Elven Witch Queen Goddess and has twin half drow children.... and I am pondering writting some books on his exploits...he's a mixture of my favorite mages (Gandalf/Merlin) and Arthur and Elric.... Conan and Aragorn mixture fits his friend "Gondor" named after the realm from Tolkien's Middle-Earth.....

Those were my two favorite pcs from the early days of AD&D/D&D.

I'm a huge fan of many Sword and Sorcery and high fantasy series :

REH-Conan
Michael Moorcock - Elric/Eternal Champion
JRR Tolkien - LOTR
Weis & Hickman - DragonLance
Ursula K. Le Guin-Earthsea

Yogah of Yag said:
Reading Howard's material in German would be a blast! :)
I wonder if there are any competent translations available.
Years ago I had a Swedish translation of Tolkien's Silmarillion which was pretty miserable. :cry:

What I have seen of REH in German doesn't reach his mastery of language - it's just boring to read.

I love REH in Spanish, the translation I got is great. I know that it's not the original language but I also have read REH in English and IMO the translation keeps the same substance.

The only problem I have with the translations is that, sometimes, I found the race of Conan as "cimmerio" and sometimes as "cimmeriano", this from different translations.

IMO it should be "cimmeriano". Any of you know the right translation of "cimmerian"?

The King said:
I already saw the cover on amazon.
The Conan pictured there is very similar to Antonio Banderas.
The link above kinda looks like Fred Ward to me, but with hair ala Aerosmith.

Back