[Conan Comic] The Gurnakhi

Mijoro

Mongoose
These guys are just too cool for words. I'm planning on some Hyperborean hijinks in my game and I'd love to use these guys. Anyone stat them up for the RPG yet?

No, no idea on the stats but it would be kewl. I normally do not read comics, but am very impressed with it. I like the fact that they are setting the stories more or less in the order they should be. Lots of kewl stuff for the RPG.

So I finally got around to doing it myself. Feedback?

GURNAKHI

Large Humanoid (Gurnakhi)
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (30 hp)
Initiative: +6 (+1 Dex, +1 Reflex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 30 ft.
DV: 12 (-1 size, +3 natural)
DR: 5 (leather + helm)
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: Warsword +7 melee (3d6+6/19-20/AP 3)
Full Attack: Warsword +7 melee (3d6+6/19-20/AP 3) or unarmed strike +7 melee (1d6+4)
Space/Reach: 10 ft. (2)/10 ft. (2)
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities:
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +1
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 4
Skills: Climb +6, Listen +3, Spot +3
Feats: Improved Initiative, Power Attack
Climate/Terrain: Hyperborea
Organization: Pair or troop (3-12)
Advancement:

Gurnakhi are eight-foot tall grey-skinned humanoids created by the sorcerers of Hyperborea from slaves. They serve in the Hyperborean army as well as in raiding parties.

Love 'em! I was hesitant, at first, looking through the Dark Horse comic, but I think that they are doing fairly well. The Gurnakhi are completely cool and creepy, but also very Conan IMO. Creatures created of sorcery to serve their immortal masters with blade and blood.
Tasty. Good stats. Copied to hard drive, ready to damage players.
Later!

Glad you guys like 'em. I threw four at my (very suprised) players - they ended up killing one and then bidding a very hasty retreat. Lotsa fun.

Yeah,I really like these guys as well,wasnt sure like many others at the start but then I thought they could be known as Trolls by the Aesir and Vanir linking a little bit more to the mythology of the whole thing.
I am regressing several of my characters to lower levels and writing small 2or 3 session adventures to let each of them try gaming different peoples and professions.
The first will be the story of Connovar of Cimmeria and his adventures among the Aesir on the borders of Hyperborea. The Gurnakhi are now going to feature heavily as is Tuonetar the Blood Queen of Sigtona. Yeah,I know its abit of a cliche for Cimmerians to have early run ins with the Hyperborean slave trade but then it was pointed out to me in another post that many Conan players love the whole cliche thing.
A few questions though.
What about a spell that allows for the creation of the Gurnakhi?
Do you think thast they could be classed as abberations created using permanent sorcery etc?
Might they have a natural DR instead of leather armour(augmented of course by the helmets that they wear in the comic)?

tarkhan bey said:
What about a spell that allows for the creation of the Gurnakhi?
Do you think thast they could be classed as abberations created using permanent sorcery etc?
Might they have a natural DR instead of leather armour(augmented of course by the helmets that they wear in the comic)?

1. I didn't really think much about the spell that creates them. I figured that the spell would a) be a "lost art" - probably Hyperborean created sorcery that has been largely forgotten through the ages (in the comic the Hyperboreans are effectively immortal after all), and b) inflict some serious corruption on the caster, so (in my campaign anyway) I'm keeping it as NPC territory.

2. According to the 3.5 SRD, "an aberration has a bizarre anatomy, strange abilities, an alien mindset, or any combination of the three." IMO, gurnakhi don't fit the category. I was thinking of making them giants, but since they're created from human stock, I felt it made more sense to keep them as "humanoids".

3. Natural DR? Sure. I gave them a +3 natural armor bonus to their DV, but I was thinking about adding it to their DR instead. In the comics, they're depicted as wearing clothing (loincloths mostly) with their helmets. I'd stat them as DV 10 (-1 size, +1 Dex), DR 4 (+3 natural, +1 helmet) in that case.

Back