Conan Comic #2 arrives March 24th, 2004

Iron_Chef

Mongoose
Better grab your copy of CONAN: THE LEGEND #2 quick!!! #1 sold out in record time. #2 retells REH's THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER and sets Conan up for his impending trip to Hyperborea... :twisted:

I got Conan on my pull list for my comic shop and I have issue 0 and #1 already. Plus got the Coming of Conan the Cimmerian in the mail and have been rereading the original REH stories.

Lando The Archmagi

I absolutely cannot wait for Kurt Busiek's take on The Frost Giant's Daughter.

And I can't wait to see his take on the "lost" Hyperborean years. Should be good stuff.

Ok, I'm going to be labeled as a blasphemer, but after issue #1, I'm not interested in the new comic. I thought the comic was too short, with little or no resolution by the end, and the story was rather bland. Of course, you'll have your occasional boring issues, but I would expect issue #1 to be a double-sized extravaganza that would really whet your appetite. I felt really let down.

The prelude really made me expect a lot. I thought it was well done. But issue #1 made me feel like I had been robbed in an alley. Now I'm not much of a comic collector, so maybe some of you guys are more used to paying $3 per issue. But I just thought that it was an excessive price for such a short little story. I think there were actually more pages of ads in there than there was actual Conan material.

Meanwhile, I'm still picking up the remastered Marvel books that just came out. Those are great. But I don't know, guys, I just don't see it with this DarkHorse book...

Whether you liked the first issue or not, it was of a suitable length and price in comparison to other comics today. In fact, I seem to remember far fewer full-page ads in Conan #1 than in, say, your average Marvel comic. So I'd say that rather than getting a bum deal, you in fact got a bargain.

Welcome to comics pricing in the year 2004...

The first comic or novel, like the first movie in a franchise, often must spend time setting up the characters and story that later issues/sequels can ignore in favor of action because everyone is already familiar with the basic story and characters. I thought #1 was a good story that set things up for Howard's Frost Giant's Daughter in #2, and was a great insight into the lives and warfare of the Aesir/Vanir and Hyborian racial prejudices. Very useful for running a Conan game. I like seeing these new "connect the dots" episodes between Howard's classics. Also, many hit TV shows end with no resolution, like THE SOPRANOS and THE SHIELD.

$3 for a beautiful comic is not unreasonable in today's market. Although I remember grumbling as a boy when comic prices raised from 25 cents to 35 cents in the late 1970s... and I pretty much stopped buying all comics when prices hit $2.00 around 1990. :roll:

I've got #2, and think it is a solid read. I don't know how much it stands up to the original Barry Windsor-Smith adaptation, but I enjoyed it immensely, and thought that the depiction of the frost giants was especially cool.

I will certainly continue with this comic as long as the current creative is onboard. If either author or writer changes, I will likely quit unless they're as good or better (and this seems unlikely).

Out of the handful of comics I bought today, this was my clear favorite (rivalled only by Smax #5).

Iron_Chef said:
Just got my copy of #2... gonna sit down and read it!

I just read #2 and I loved it! As a Conan newbie, I've never read the "original" story. Any comments on how the two compare?

Although, I don't expect them to be exact, I'm just curious how well the Dark Horse guys did.

Fyrestryke said:
Iron_Chef said:
Just got my copy of #2... gonna sit down and read it!

I just read #2 and I loved it! As a Conan newbie, I've never read the "original" story. Any comments on how the two compare?

Although, I don't expect them to be exact, I'm just curious how well the Dark Horse guys did.

I liked it - alot. It's very faithful to the original; in fact, most of the dialogue is taken directly from the original story.

Very well done IMO. I'm looking forward to issue #3, even though it's not an adaptation of a REH story.

Actually, I was less impressed with #2 than #0 and #1. In part, my disappointment stems from the sloppier artwork (Conan does not look quite consistent with the prior issues). The broken tusks on the ice giants was silly and unrealistic. But most of all, what bothered me about it was that the connection to the events of issue #1 was minimal. The Vanir leader here was not the same in name or appearance as in #1, so there was no emotional payoff. Also, there were no surprises at all... by surprises, I mean anything that wasn't in REH's version, but I'm not advocating changing REH's story, but adding new wrap-around. There should have been a few pages that built up the battle, and a few more pages at the end that set up the Aesir's betrayal of Conan re: Hyperborea. That's what I think, anyway. Also, the so far excellent cover artist seems to be slipping in quality based on the cover preview of #3.

Iron_Chef said:
<snip> But most of all, what bothered me about it was that the connection to the events of issue #1 was minimal.

<snip>There should have been a few pages that built up the battle, and a few more pages at the end that set up the Aesir's betrayal of Conan re: Hyperborea. That's what I think, anyway. Also, the so far excellent cover artist seems to be slipping in quality based on the cover preview of #3.

I thought #2 followed up on the events rather well - IMO, #1's purpose was to place Conan in a (credible) position where he'd be part of an Aesir raiding party. It did that. #1 also foreshadowed Conan's probable betrayal by the Aesir chief, and gave a reason why. I think we'll see the betrayal played out in issue #3, which suits me fine - I didn't want to see space taken away from The Frost Giant's Daughter to support a story that wouldn't be resolved in this issue anyway.

Badelaire said:
Whether you liked the first issue or not, it was of a suitable length and price in comparison to other comics today. In fact, I seem to remember far fewer full-page ads in Conan #1 than in, say, your average Marvel comic. So I'd say that rather than getting a bum deal, you in fact got a bargain.

Welcome to comics pricing in the year 2004...

Yes , 22 page stories seem the norm. but that's around what they've always been but prehaps with more panels per page - but of course lots cheaper . There are indeed more ads. in the Marvel books , sometimes nearly one as you turn every page .

Terry

Just got through reading Conan 2... and wow is it great, I love the way they did Atali, but the way they did her brothers was incredible.

Then again FGD was always one of my fav Conan stories.

I picked up #2 yesterday. I liked it although it didn't wow me the way issue #0 did when I first opened it.

On the other hand -- I do think that between Issue #1 and #2 I have realized that I would much rather see something new. I guess that isn't their plan, though. They plan on tracing Conan's career, filling in empty spots with new adventures, but covering many or all of the adventures from Howard's stories as well, right? I have a feeling I will generally enjoy the new stuff more.

Some of the large "mural" shots are great!

Seems like fans are divided in wanting to see new material and wanting to get on to the adaptations . Hope Kurt's in for the _very_long haul as it took Marvel goodness how many years to complete REH's stories and it seems Kurt wants to take even longer.

Terry

Back