Conan 2nd ed. binding issues

iggy42

Mongoose
Mongoose - please sort out the issue with bindings of the 2nd ed. book.

I've been after a copy for a while but the one in my local store was too tight and to view some pages meant breaking the binding.

Two more arrived today and I waited expectantly as the shop owner opened the delivery box in front of me. I kid you not - one of books binding has already split in the centre pages. The other was better but the pages at each end of the book are crinkled and I suspect the binding will fail before too long.

I purchased one under the assurance that I can return it should any issues arise and when / if a superior bound book arrives I can exchange it (the shop owner is good for his word so I have no problem with doing this) - btw, this was on advice from Mongoose rep i.e. try it until it breaks....!

Mongoose have some excellent products so its a shame to be let down by something like the binding quality, which they're is obviously still having problems with. :?

Cheers, Iggy

PS love the system from what I've seen so far - looking forward to putting my players through Trial of Blood :D

This is very old stock your shop is getting - can you please let us know which shop this is? We'll swap those books out freely, and make sure whoever is selling them won't send any more out.

I've similar problems, bought Conan 2nd edition some weeks ago and the pages are coming adrift. Then bought Runequest Slaine the other day and the binding is so tight that I think it won't be long before those pages start parting from the binding. Conan was via IG UK and Slane via Liesure Games, just thought you'd like to know.

msprange said:
This is very old stock your shop is getting - can you please let us know which shop this is? We'll swap those books out freely, and make sure whoever is selling them won't send any more out.

Thanks for the quick response - what's the best way to get in touch? I don't want to put the shop details on this site as I don't know if the owner would thank me for it.

Cheers, Rich

Needless to say, if you also drop us a line at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com, we will freely replace your books as well. . .

Likewise thanks. However, I'm not too worried (won't be the first RPG I've had that the pages have come adrift). Just thought you'd like to know in case others have problems. Also to put things into context, I've got several other mongoose products and have no problems with those.
Cheers. :D

msprange said:
Needless to say, if you also drop us a line at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com, we will freely replace your books as well. . .

Hi - thanks. Email sent with details of the shop included.

Thanks again. :)

Big thank you to Mongoose - I received my beautifully bound replacement copy of 2 ed. Conan this morning.

The problem was not down to Mongoose or the shop but at another point in the supply chain. Mongoose had aleady fixed the fault and the copy I had received should not have been in circulation.

Many thanks again for a rapid response and excellent customer service.

Iggy

yes i just wanted to say thank you for my replacement which i recieved a few weeks ago. real stand up guys at that company. also i bought a copy of runequest deluxe and was very satisfied. thanks again.........peace

In all fairness, the Mongoose team puts customer service as a priority.
Great job, now if we can address the minor areas of proofreading and timely product placement (eg: product due in May and 6 months later we are still awaiting eagerly).

Yes. Mongoose Customer Service is top notch. Replacements are sent very quickly.

However, it is a worry that old warped stock is still in circulation. It was precisely this worry that led me to buy another copy of Conan 2nd Ed directly from Mongoose rather than from another retailer (and thereby forego the discounts that many of these other retailers apply) esp online ones as you don't get to see what you buy.

Unfortunately, I've had the same problem. I was really looking forward to opening the Conan manual and start playing when I noticed several pages already coming out of the binding. I bought the game from a highly reputed European game store (I'm from Europe) and I've never had any problems prior to this book so I assume it's the same problem: a faulty stock. How do I proceed from here? Do I contact them or you?

Had the same problem with my 4th edition D&D player's handbook, but got nothing be run around and endless dead-end e-mails from Wizard. Needless to say, any further experimenting with D&D4 ended right there.

Shoulda known, really...lol

To co-opt a line from Stan Lee: Make Mine Mongoose.

Seriously, this is the best RPG support I've ever experienced and best publication support in any industry. It can't be expressed that publishers very rarely are willing ot even agknowledge errors such as poor binding much less typos and miss-prints, but Mongoose continually steps up to the plate.

8)

Thanks. I just send you an e-mail. Indeed, Mongoose seems to have a good client support service. I can hardly wait to get my hands on the new Conan book (*drool*). By the way, you may also want to contact Leisure Games regarding their current stock of Conan books if it is indeed the old damaged stock.

By the way, were there are binding issues with other Conan books? I'm planning on buying Return to the Road of Kings and the Player's Guide to the Hyborean Age and wouldn't want to have any more unpleasant surprises. :lol:

My rarely used Player's Guide has just had its spine snap. Very dissapointed with Mongoose's binding for thier product since 2nd Ed.

Drop us a line at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com - we will send you a replacement that will never snap.

Got a replacement copy (soft bound) sent to me.
Thanks so much for the prompt and professional customer service.

Concerning the 2nd edition Conan: RPG rulebook...

I was wondering how to tell the first binding run from the second, as I'm not too sure.

Does the second binding run have "2nd printing" on the copyright info page?

My binding has what appears to be a slip of cloth, but the pages are glued in folded "bundles" to that cloth. The book is (C) 2007.

(Sorry, I don't know much about bindings...) :?:

Back