Computer Naming

Gimgamgoo

Mongoose
Hi folks. My first post here, so a quick introduction...

I'm old enough to have been playing (DM/ref'ing) RPGs since the early 80's. Mostly (A)D&D but a few others along the way.
I did have a box set of GDW traveller and Mega traveller back in the 80's as well, but we never played it enough to really get to grips with the OTU or the rules.

Most of our group still meet every Sunday evening for a game of D&D (although in honesty, half the time is probably spent chatting about the week). As this has been weekly for about 25 years now, I really fancied a break from D&D so decided to give Traveller a go for a while. I've stocked up on four of the 2nd edition rulebooks and an extra copy for my tablet so the group all have access to one during gameplay and especially for character creation. I've also been loving reading the Third Imperium books/ebooks I've been picking up.

One thing I do want to get sorted though, are the rules needed for character creation and general gameplay. That way the first few sessions will play fairly smoothly. I know if it turns into a page hunt during gaming, the players will be turned off bothering with a new system - although I realise character creation is going to be pretty book intensive.

Anyway, the facebook group folks - Traveller SF RPG (Mongoose Publishing editions) - have been brill helping me with a few rules questions, but I'd rather use forums than facebook. Which brings me to another question...

---

Computers

I thought I understood the way computers were listed with bandwidth, so a Computer/2 could simultaneously use software upto a bandwidth limit of 2.
Then I started looking through the Ship Computer section. Obviously these are more powerful and have higher values, eg Computer/10

On page 151 of the rulebook it seems to have software in multiples of 5 for bandwidth for many cases and the ships computers listed with the sample ships are all listed for example as Computer 5/bis, Computer 10 etc. (I understand the bis part).

What I don't understand is the section on page 151 that states "A Model 1/bis computer (normal Rating 5, but Rating 10 for Jump Control software)" seems to imply a Model 1 computer is a Computer/5. The problem is, there's no other mention of this style of wording I can find.

Looking in Highguard, I see in the 'Install Computer' section, the computers come in multiples of 5. Would I be correct in assuming that;
Model 1 = Computer/5, Model 2 = Computer/10 up to Model 7? I couldn't find any other reference anywhere to this style of labelling.

Thanks.

In previous versions of Traveller (including the 1st edition of Mongoose Traveller), computers weren't rated for bandwidth, but by model number. It is likely that this was true in the beginning for 2nd edition as well, but the names dropped and the text wasn't changed to reflect that. Core computers seemed to have kept the old name style, however.

And yes, the Model/1 would be the equivalent of Computer/5, Model/2 is Computer/10, and so on.

Gimgamgoo said:
What I don't understand is the section on page 151 that states "A Model 1/bis computer (normal Rating 5, but Rating 10 for Jump Control software)" seems to imply a Model 1 computer is a Computer/5. The problem is, there's no other mention of this style of wording I can find.

Looking in Highguard, I see in the 'Install Computer' section, the computers come in multiples of 5. Would I be correct in assuming that;
Model 1 = Computer/5, Model 2 = Computer/10 up to Model 7? I couldn't find any other reference anywhere to this style of labelling.

Yup

That's from the earlier edition, at the time the Core Rulebook was released work was still being on High Guard. All the ships computer should just be listed by the rating (with a possibility for Core along with fib/bis).

Bis is a legacy upgrade that allows your computer to use a one rating higher jump programme, than it's processing power would normally allow.

Back