Combat Maneuvers in Practice

PrinceYyrkoon said:
I dont understand the bile, to be honest, no one is fooling anyone.

If it werent for Mongoose, there would be no Eternal Champion stuff, and probably no Runequest either.

On top of this, Mongoose customer service is THEE best of any rpg company Ive ever seen.

Agreed.

PrinceYyrkoon said:
I dont understand the bile, to be honest, no one is fooling anyone.

Nor me.

Quite what the position between Chaoisum and Michael Moorcock has to do with the implementation of rules in MRQ is quite beyond me. I don't know the full story of the relationships between Chaosium, Moorcock and Moorcock's agent - My understanding of the AD&D Dieties & Demigods issue was that there was a misunderstanding somewhere as to the nature of the licence that Chaosium had been given and the difference between "D&D" and "Role-playing games", so I suspect that at least part of the problems that arose between Chaosium and Moorcock is that the original deal no longer looked so attractive compared with the sorts of deals being offered 10-20 years later. One would have thought that if Moorcock believed he was being ripped off he would have taken legal action, so I would infer from the fact that he didn't that Chaosium acted within the terms of their licence.

If people find problems with the current rules, then they should be free to say so without an automatic assumption that it is a deliberate attack on Mongoose for not being Chaosium. You can't defend the current rules as being beyond reproach just because they are "in print" if they require so many changes and house-rules to make them playable that you might as well use an "out of print" alternative. (NB I don't think this is necessarily the case with MRQ2. I do think it was pretty close to being a problem with MRQ1).

Given the fact that in a few short years Mongoose has put out more RQ material than Chaosium has in over a decade (ignoring all the fan stuff) then I think that we should be thankfull for Mongoose for helping to keep such a good system alive and bringing it up to date. I personally miss the old Glorantha 3rd age setting but I would rather see Mongoose continue on their current course than watch RQ die, which is the direction it has been heading in for years. When the only thing keeping something alive is the die hard old bloods it can only be a matter of time.

Back