COmbat Help Sheet

I've found nothing preventing it in Conan or D&D except for the usual restrictions:

From the SRD:
Checks without Rolls
A skill check represents an attempt to accomplish some goal, usually while under some sort of time pressure or distraction. Sometimes, though, a character can use a skill under more favorable conditions and eliminate the luck factor.
Taking 10: When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, calculate your result as if you had rolled a 10. For many routine tasks, taking 10 makes them automatically successful. Distractions or threats (such as combat) make it impossible for a character to take 10. In most cases, taking 10 is purely a safety measure —you know (or expect) that an average roll will succeed but fear that a poor roll might fail, so you elect to settle for the average roll (a 10). Taking 10 is especially useful in situations where a particularly high roll wouldn’t help.
Taking 20: When you have plenty of time (generally 2 minutes for a skill that can normally be checked in 1 round, one full-round action, or one standard action), you are faced with no threats or distractions, and the skill being attempted carries no penalties for failure, you can take 20. In other words, eventually you will get a 20 on 1d20 if you roll enough times. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, just calculate your result as if you had rolled a 20.
Taking 20 means you are trying until you get it right, and it assumes that you fail many times before succeeding. Taking 20 takes twenty times as long as making a single check would take. (my emphasis)
Since taking 20 assumes that the character will fail many times before succeeding, if you did attempt to take 20 on a skill that carries penalties for failure, your character would automatically incur those penalties before he or she could complete the task. Common “take 20” skills include Escape Artist, Open Lock, and Search.

The soft cover bullet point should be changed from cover against melee attacks to cover against ranged attacks. The Conan rule is identicle to the 3.5 D&D rule, and that rule was errata'd from "melee" to "ranged."

Thanks for that input, I wonder if It is applicable to melee attacks from opponents that have reach and the cover would be within that reach. So if a 10 " reach character reaches over someone else is that soft cover to the character being attacked.

tagnetti said:
Thanks for that input, I wonder if It is applicable to melee attacks from opponents that have reach and the cover would be within that reach. So if a 10 " reach character reaches over someone else is that soft cover to the character being attacked.
Yes. Ranged cover applies to reach weapons. IDHTBIFOM, but it is in that same section.

slaughterj said:
Looking at these sheets, you have +4 DV for Cover, there's not any variation for the amount of cover in Conan??

The D&D 3.5 rules changed cover from a variable amount to a standard +4 modifier for any amount of cover. Course you wouldn't hand that out if the person was standing behind a knee-high wall. I'd rule that the person had to be in at least half cover to get the bonus...

To be honest I still use the original cover chart, its much better. I suspect the new rule was to make the game more miniature friendly.

Zethnar said:
slaughterj said:
Looking at these sheets, you have +4 DV for Cover, there's not any variation for the amount of cover in Conan??

The D&D 3.5 rules changed cover from a variable amount to a standard +4 modifier for any amount of cover. Course you wouldn't hand that out if the person was standing behind a knee-high wall. I'd rule that the person had to be in at least half cover to get the bonus...

To be honest I still use the original cover chart, its much better. I suspect the new rule was to make the game more miniature friendly.

That is an over-simplification. The 3.5e rules made basic cover (most circumstances) a flat +4 bonus, but it also allows for improved cover

Varying Degrees of Cover: In some cases, cover may provide a greater bonus to AC and Reflex saves. In such situations the normal cover bonuses to AC and Reflex saves can be doubled (to +8 and +4, respectively). A creature with this improved cover effectively gains improved evasion against any attack to which the Reflex save bonus applies. Furthermore, improved cover provides a +10 bonus on Hide checks.

To my mind the 3.5e cover rules were a huge advance on the 3e ones because they worked on a basic rule of thumb which was easy to adjudicate and with clear, standard bonuses. The 3e version required the lookup table.

Cheers

Nice Job, You don't mind if I use this format for the GM screen do you under combat. I feel like although I had made it up before that your breakdown is more sensical and easier to find during the game.

tagnetti said:
Nice Job, You don't mind if I use this format for the GM screen do you under combat. I feel like although I had made it up before that your breakdown is more sensical and easier to find during the game.

Use it, change it, edit it...anything you need to do to make this great game better.

Thanks for your work on this project.

Thrack

What sort of format are we talking about here? Is this going to be a 4-page screen or a more comprehensive screen such as the Kalamar/Hackmaster ones?

I for one would rather see one similar to the Kalamar screens, as the one I have is much more useful to me than a 4-page could ever be.

I was working on the 4 pager. I have never seen the Hackmaster one. DO you where I cansee it or give me a breakdown of its core differences?

Thanks

Back