combat aids

sween

Mongoose
Hello,

A character has Gun combat-energy Rifle-3, Dexterity bonus +2, A combat implant +1, holographic Targeting Aid +2 (personal Heads Up Display from supply catalogue).

To me this could break combat a bit? This guy is going to hit everything unless he throws double 1. i was looking to see if this is a valid string of bonuses because everyone now wants to buy a personal HUD and combat just got easier and lost its edge in my opinion. i could rule that the combat implant and HUD dont work togeather. I could drop the HUD bonus from +2 to +1 and also say that implant and HUD dont work togeather this would level the playing field a bit and i'm tempted to do this.

would like to know if i need to worry about this kind of twinking and opinions ofc :)

In other words - the character is an expert rifleman with exceptional coordination, augmented combat skill and equipped with an extremely (IMO) hightech targeting aid and the game mechanics say he'll hit anything in range nearly every time?

Well, that is if a target is standing in the open... Seems not broke to me! :wink:

Those DMs are great - a Ref who wants to give this guy a challenge will just have to provide opponents with suitable counter-advantages like cover and really good armour (hand shields :roll:). Doesn't matter if he can hit something if he can't do damage :D

As to the HUD - the DM seems high, but 2d6 doesn't really give enough to work with, IMO so that such tech can be differentiated. Of course, his opponents may aim for the HUD, rather than him. The mechanics don't really say anything about targeting specific things - use the DMs for size and the Effect for whether they are knocked off/impaired(marginal), damaged, or damaged and character still takes damage (exceptional).

Agree with BP on this one, the character is clearly some kind of super heroic SOB. Even without the HUD he has very high weapons skills and dex.

So give him super heroic opposition, Imperial marines in battle dress, with rifle (or FGMP) skills of 2 or more, and don't forget to give them HUD as well, or failing that a grav tank....

Egil

Another would be to have him have to adventure on a starport or a fairly strict planet - energy rifles are military equipment, so he'd not be allowed to carry them on a starport (handguns maximum) and it's possible, if he's got level 3 in his e-rifles, that he's been neglecting his other gun skills... and probably his equipment too, so he'll likely have basic sights on his autopistol, for example.

Anyone walking around with a rifle (of any kind) and combat armour will be frowned upon, if not stopped, searched, asked some pointed questions and would probably have their weapons and armour confiscated (if they're lucky, only for the duration of their stay).

Mistaken identity can be a good GM cover for curbing characters 'enthusiasm' for these toys. Have a heavily armed SWAT team pick him up for detention/interrogation until they work out he might not be the high-end assassin that they've been looking for! :twisted: Of course - he might find himself being tailed by plain-clothes police "just in case they made a mistake".

Additionally - if this is starting to be a problem, get creative! If a team are all tooled up with HUD, targeters and suchlike - don't give them easy targets; their opponents can get just as creative and downright sneaky as a PC team. Have their opponents set up ambushes, hidden snipers, hunter teams, human shields - there's a long list of possibilities before you look at matching technology with more technology. Put them in a situation where their guns are useless and they need to negotiate a way out! :twisted:

After all, there are very good reasons why special forces have a range of skills and equipment - they're not just there to shoot or blow things up!

I wouldn't let the HUD and implant stack.

Work with the player on this one. Does he want to Jayne this one, having guns be what shapes the character but only rarely getting to actually use the whole shebang, or does he want the game to be an arcade for target practice? The former is easy to work with, as you just make sure he gets to trot out the aphorisms as often as he likes and gets to use the big gun every few sessions. Mix in some out-system locations (far-flung moons, abandoned stations) that won't be Law Level concerns and let him cut loose occasionally, but keep the touchy gun in pieces in the Armory where he can spend time being grumpy about maintenance, expensive spare parts, and "this used to be easy when I had Quartermasters on speed-dial".

On the other hand, if he doesn't necessarily want the character to be about the gun, that's good to know too.

Very interesting replies thank you. As noted, he is only very highly skilled in combat provided he has all the right circumstances. I also agree that +2 is too high for a HUD. I'll let my players have them provided it's fitted into Battle Armour, otherwise it's +1.

sween said:
Hello,

A character has Gun combat-energy Rifle-3, Dexterity bonus +2, A combat implant +1, holographic Targeting Aid +2 (personal Heads Up Display from supply catalogue).

To me this could break combat a bit? This guy is going to hit everything unless he throws double 1. i was looking to see if this is a valid string of bonuses because everyone now wants to buy a personal HUD and combat just got easier and lost its edge in my opinion. i could rule that the combat implant and HUD dont work togeather. I could drop the HUD bonus from +2 to +1 and also say that implant and HUD dont work togeather this would level the playing field a bit and i'm tempted to do this.

would like to know if i need to worry about this kind of twinking and opinions ofc :)

That bloke 'Zero' from the X Men film Wolverine comes to mind. He still got killed in the end.

Yep, at +8 he can rack up plenty of hits, in range, against targets without cover that are not moving.

The name for people in a firefight who stand upright, do not move, and ignore cover is casualties.

The guy is a crack marksman, flank him, spot him and keep out of line of sight, use smoke, use at least 3/4 cover. Counter sniper him.

Ex military are fairly common in traveller. They are trained in counter sniper moves, they may not have the ability to call down airstrikes or mortars on the snipers area (unless your criminal gangs are seriously well armed) but they can still avoid fire, use cover and get someone behind him.

He can be scary in a firefight but he can be dealt with, those bounty hunters going after him for that big reward the pirate boss offered for the sniper that killed his son, they study him and all turn up in nice shiny reflect with multi spectrum smoke grenades to put paid to the killer laser sniper :lol:

Consider also that he is a very skilled marksman but its the Imperium, there are thousands of ex army or marine snipers that good and some of them work for the bad guys. :twisted:

Back