Classes you would like to see...

Arandur

Mongoose
Ok, we have seen the interest for a few new classes, from the Vakeros (got to agree with you there Paido), to the Shianti-trained wizard and herb wardens to the humble (and annoying) Noodnic.

And well since it looks as though some of these alternate classes will be released in Signs and Portents, I thought it might be an idea for people to mention what classes they would like to see, perhaps this might help the folks at Mongoose a little to see where the fan base's interest lies and what ideas have generated by the fans.

So the question is, what additianal classes would you like to see?

Arandur

I'd like to see the following detailed more as races or classes.

The Ogrons

Giants of Starn

Cener Druids/Herbcrafters

Various Prestiege classes of the Drakkarim

Grey Star Shianti wizard

Herbwardens

and maybe some class like a samurai from the kingdom of chai but with a Lone Wolf feel.

I'll think of more later.

sunwolf

I guess on a personal note that perhaps a few generic classes would also be nice as a base for those who wish to play a Durenese or Sommerlending or Lencian Soldier (for example).

Apart from the Vakeros, I am looking forward to seeing if the Paladins (Knights) of the White Mountain will become a class. But I guess that I can use the Sommerlending Knight as a place to start but they have always intrigued me.

The Sommerlending Rangers (Pathfinders, captained by D'Val) would be nice to see as a class also, especially since most LW adventures suit the 'ranger' type of character.

I have a feeling that the strength of the LW RPG will lie in having many different base classes to choose from, which is why I am looking forward to seeing them released in S&P and also in supplements. I know just based on the pre-release previews I have converted 4 of my players to LW fans already just on the 'feel' of the setting itself, the other 2 being LW fans just like myself since we were kids (One wants to play a Kai, the other a Magician of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star).

Arandur

1) Shianti Wizard... I think most of us want to see this :p
2) Vakeros
3) Ice Barbarian Scouts
4) Chai Guardsman
5) (I think this is it) Anarian Archer... isn't it Anari that was supposed to have the "peerless archers"? or am I confusing them with another region? Whatever the case, I'd love to see an Archer class.
6) Lakuri Pirates (or just pirates in general)

of course, these are in no particular order... :)

I mean, for most we could just use Core Classes from the 3.5 PHB, but the classes designed with the "LW feel" would just make the game all the more rich and flavorful.

Various Prestiege classes of the Drakkarim

Oh yes...we must have Drakkarim. Maybe going out on a limb here, but an anti-Kai class (think Wolf's Bane).

And a soothsayer class, where we can sit covered in feathers (forgot which book that's in, but the illustration is priceless) in a tent. :)

KL

Here are a few more.

Lencian Crusader - could probably use the Sommerlending knight but hey.

Stornlands Mercenary - combat skills, advancing to command skills and a network of contacts.

Vassagonian Sharnazim - Black clad irregulars. I got the impression these guys had a rather fey attitude to their own lives.

Masbate Warrior of the Lissan Plain.

Kundi shaman or warrior or both.

Well a guy can dream.

To add,

I agree with the Lencian Crusader, (the Lencian Crusade is one of my favorite settings next to the Druids of Ruel)

I'd love to see alot of these turned into prestige classes. Which, is what most of them are. Prestige classes would be great because the characters could be multiclasses with base lvls in fighter or rogue and yet still add on the Lone Wolf flavor without XP penalties.

sunwolf

1) Shianti Wizard... I think most of us want to see this

No.
I'm repeating myself but such a class would be ridiculous. You can not be Grey Star. Of course if you want to do it yourself in your own campaign settings, that's fine but such a class in an official LW book would not make any sense. Beside this, Mongoose August has explained why, if you want to play a Shianti-like wizard, the magicians of Dessi are here for this.

If there should be a book dedicated to the Southern Magnamund, an obvious class to add would be the shadakine warrior and the Mother Magri-like wytch. They seem to use a peculiar form of magic, very close to psionic.

Yes the magic of the Shadakine Wytches was quite distinctive. From the information we have from Tanith and the various "Mothers" it seems that they had the following powers.

Command of animals - Taniths ability to summon and command woodland creatures and even the mighty enchanted creatures in beyond the nightmare gate.

Scrying - Mother magri seemed to have the power to track down tanith over great distances and to forcefully look into the minds of others and effect others emotions and courage. This may have been an effect of the Kazim Stone, but I think that the stone was greatly enhancing their powers in this regard. The stones did allow the Wytches to effect the minds of many thousands of Shadakine at a time.

Demonology - Mother Magri summoned the rather terifying Kleasa and it was Tanith that drew the demon away onto herself.

Herbalism - Tanith seemed to have some ability with herbs she put some herbs in Grey Stars food to fortify him against the Darklin Room.

Necromancy - with a leaning towards spirit summonations rather than animations. Think of the Darklin Room, Death Gaunts etc. It may be that these effects could only be efffected by Shazarak, but after the Shianti preist dies in the Halls of correction in Suhn. Tanith wonders if Mother Magri wants to capture his soul.

It would be a really nice addition to the initial classes, bringing something quite distinct.

chrono_hal said:
1) Shianti Wizard... I think most of us want to see this
No.
I'm repeating myself but such a class would be ridiculous. You can not be Grey Star. Of course if you want to do it yourself in your own campaign settings, that's fine but such a class in an official LW book would not make any sense. Beside this, Mongoose August has explained why, if you want to play a Shianti-like wizard, the magicians of Dessi are here for this.
I've edited my response about a dozen times here, so I think I'll simply state that Agust did in fact state here on these very boards that IF he is tapped for a "magic of Magnamund" type book, then he WILL include the Shianti... (i'd post a link to it, but I cant find it now!!! Tell me I'm not crazy!!!)

My other point - nothing is 'ridiculous' in any RPG unless the entire group feels that way. If my game group wants LW to be a Noodnic, then by all that is holy, my players will have what they want. Ridiculous, you say? Maybe for you. But one man's opinion of trash... well, that's one statement I don't think I have to repreat.

Sorry if this came across harsh - it was not meant to be that way. It's nothing personal, and it might not be something for you, but a fair number of us would like to see Shianti in a book in the near future. It's no more ridiculous than a RPG called "Kobolds Ate My Baby"...
I'll shut up now, I'm starting to ramble away from my point....

Haha, have at them! :D

Sorry, got a bit carried away. :wink: There have been several excellent ideas already - my favourites from those above would be

• the Knight of the White Mountain,
    the Sommerlending Border Ranger,
    the Stornlands Mercenary,
    the Lakuri Pirate,
    the Kundi Shaman and Warrior,
    and the Shadakine Warrior.
Here now are a few additional suggestions from me ...

• the Eruan Pathfinder,
    the Kirlundin Witch,
    the Redeemer Pilgrim - though probably less suitable for the verbal waterfalls amongst us ... :wink:
    and maybe the Asajir Player.
And of course, the Vakeros, the Shadakine Wytch, the Herbwarden, and the Cener Druid are still must-haves ...

As apprentices of Grey Star (therefore farther along the Chronology of Magnamund), a few rare human Shianti Wizards would make a great addition, as far as I'm concerned. (But as my posts on that matter have already been long enough, I'll hold my tongue as of now. 8))

Arandur made another good point, BTW: A few generic classes might be useful as well. For example, what about those among us who'd like to play a shady rogue like Hugi from the Grey Star book The Forbidden City?

Paido

@ KaiLord, before I forget:

Have a look at The Cauldron of Fear, paragraph 180 ... :)

edit: Adgramaine, here you go ... :D

Paido said:
For example, what about those among us who'd like to play a shady rogue like Hugi from the Grey Star book The Forbidden City?
Paido, I have two thanks to give you - first for finding the Shianti thread (I must have skipped over it) and the second for reminding me of Hugi. I think I'll have to go and re-read my GS books now. But anyway, mentioning him reminded me of a personal favorite, Samu. He'd probably best be done as a Barbarian/Ranger or some such as that.
As far as the "basic" classes, I always just assume to carry them from DnD 3.5. I guess we'll have to wait and see....

@ Adgramaine:

My pleasure, as always ... :D

As far as Samu 's concerned, I would second Winter Wolf's suggestion of a Masbaté Nomad class. (Though that probably would resemble Barbarians and/or Rangers.)

Whether the DnD 3.5 "basic" classes would work probably depends somewhat on whether you play by the Lone Wolf rules or make use of the section "how to use classic d20 rules" that Ian mentioned here.

Paido

Winter Wolf said:
Yes the magic of the Shadakine Wytches was quite distinctive. From the information we have from Tanith and the various "Mothers" it seems that they had the following powers.

Command of animals - Taniths ability to summon and command woodland creatures and even the mighty enchanted creatures in beyond the nightmare gate.

Scrying - Mother magri seemed to have the power to track down tanith over great distances and to forcefully look into the minds of others and effect others emotions and courage. This may have been an effect of the Kazim Stone, but I think that the stone was greatly enhancing their powers in this regard. The stones did allow the Wytches to effect the minds of many thousands of Shadakine at a time.

Demonology - Mother Magri summoned the rather terifying Kleasa and it was Tanith that drew the demon away onto herself.

Herbalism - Tanith seemed to have some ability with herbs she put some herbs in Grey Stars food to fortify him against the Darklin Room.

Necromancy - with a leaning towards spirit summonations rather than animations. Think of the Darklin Room, Death Gaunts etc. It may be that these effects could only be efffected by Shazarak, but after the Shianti preist dies in the Halls of correction in Suhn. Tanith wonders if Mother Magri wants to capture his soul.

It would be a really nice addition to the initial classes, bringing something quite distinct.

mmm hmm

Okay, I've compiled a list of class suggestions that I thought would interest me, including a few mentioned before. I apologize for its length, but hopefully I might spark other people's imaginations, as well. Maybe I've even thought of a few you haven't. I've elaborated where I thought it necessary.

Fighter Types:

Masbate Nomad--as mentioned before, a character like Samu. Probably a cross between a Barbarian and a Ranger.
Sharnazim
Lastlands Mercenary--a less principled fighter, probably with a variety of sneaky moves.
Giak Foot Soldier--because who doesn't want to play a Giak?
Gourgaz Captain--the only thing better than playing a Giak....
Starn Sentinel--for those who want to play a giant.
Knight of the White Mountain
Lencian Crusader
Kirlundin Marine
Chai Archer
Bhanarian Brawler--I'm thinking something along the lines of a monk here.
Vassagonian Sky Cavalryman--yeah, Itikar!
Tyso Outriders--I made these guys up on Tower of the Sun, but they're essentially mounted rangers that function as agent retrievers and light cavalry.
Pit Fighter--reflecting all the times there are gladiatorial matches in Lone Wolf.
Tharro Guardsman
Ogron Thug
Krorn Berserk
Xanon Stalker--those creepy crocodilians, represented as a class. I'm pretty sure this is what they're called.
Agarashi Cutthroat--why would I want to leave out the Agarashi when I could suggest a class for them?

Rogue Types:

Guild Thief of Tahou--one of the cooler side-plots in Lone Wolf includes these guys, so why not make them the standard thief class? The game needs one.
Kadan Assassin--one of the cooler guilds from Lone Wolf, in the Skull of Agarash.
Eruan Pathfinder
Noodnic Cutpurse--yeah, Noodnics!
Hardlands Bandit
Ice Barbarian Scout
Asajir Troubador--because every game needs a bard, no matter how lame that class is.
Ghagrim Tracker--because I love Ghagrim, and think they'd be cool to play.
Disgruntled Dwarven Bartender--I think we all remember this one-eyed fellow.
Drakkar Inquisitor--torture!
Kakarmi Scout--why not include one of the other intelligent races?
Vazhag Skulker--creepy rat men are cool.

Mage Types:

Kloon Scholar--can't forget the Kloons.
Drakkar Ziran--seems like a good option for evil combat mages.
Giak Shaman--another option for same.
Soothsayer
Redeemer--probably functions like a straight-up Cleric, with LW desperately needs.
Shoni Pilgrim
Acolyte of Vashna--and why aren't these guys available? This'd be like an evil Cleric, I'd think.
Dazudskul Necromancer--Kezoor and his ilk, put into a class.
Liganim--another evil mage class.
Nadziran--the foremost evil mage class.

well.. I'm working on a shoni pilgrim class.. but qould it be more a clerical, druid, monk type than a straigh mage type...
however I'll do it in Italian (As soon as MoM gets out in Italy :? ) and a lot later in english

Duskfox, the nadziranim are already a playable race in the darklands rpg supplement book, along with their preferred class. (dark cultist)

Back