City of Shamar in Aquilonia references

sbarrie

Mongoose
Are there any REH stories other than The Scarlet Citadel which feature the Aquilonian city of Shamar? Or Non-REH?

My last game had the players follow up the events in The Phoenix on the Sword by going to Attalus to arrent Baron Dion. The end of the night left two danglers, a captured thief who delivered something for Rinaldo the bard, and Thoth-Amon making a trip to Shamar.

It was my intention for the thief to have delivered some poison to a girl in Conan's harem. (Damn poets can't stick to a plan.) However, the party decided "Knock him out, we have more important things to worry about", so I'm free to change that post factum.

It would be very easy to convince the group to go to Shamar to track Thoth-Amon's whereabouts. (He told them that he was going there for "supplies" before returning to Stygia) Half of the party wanted to forget Dion last week to keep an eye on Thoth.

If I can just find a reason to delay their search for a couple of months, I'll put them in Shamar for the events of The Scarlet Citadel. Then I can do a nice seige session.

BTW, does anyone know how old Thoth-Amon is?

My, that rambled. <shrug>

If memory serves me right, I think that one of the stories from Marvel Comics mentioned that Thoth-Amon was "a couple of hundred years old". This is obviously "non-canon", though.

- thulsa

The Entry in 'A GAZETEER of The Hyborian World of CONAN'

"SHAMAR- A city in Aquilonia, near the Ophirean border. It was walled and moated with water from the Tybor River. Scarlet Citadel

You probably have this already- I know little about Pastiches or Comic Stories

"Hyborian Names" (de Camp's glossary of character and place names, published in Conan the Swordsman) also confirms SC is the only Howard source on Shamar.

Faraer said:
"Hyborian Names" (de Camp's glossary of character and place names, published in Conan the Swordsman) also confirms SC is the only Howard source on Shamar.

Thanks. That sounds useful, I'll have to track it down.

The Aquilonian city of Shamar is featured in the TOR Conan novel, Conan and the Death Lord of Thanza, by Roland J. Green.

sbarrie said:

Agreeing with an unpublished draft of Marchers of Valhalla, Thoth-Amon was a Pre-Cataclysmic sorcerer. Maybe he had been a succeeding of Thulsa Doom, thousands and thousands of years before the Stygia's foundation...

Back