Cheap aircraft bases using Tile Spacers (1:600 Planes)

Mark Still

Mongoose
I am using Hallmark miniature 1:6000 scale with 1:600 scale planes from tumbling dice.
To give a birds eye view from the aircraft each model will represent a flight of aircraft.
My problem was what to use to base the planes considering I have 40 aircraft to base.
Em4 miniatures was a possible, cheap but what P&P would I be paying?

A mate suggested take a trip to the local DIY shop, whilst hunting around found Tile Spacers for wall tiles at £3.99 for 500 thought okay idea here:

here's a list of items & production guide:

1x Pack of Tile spacers (whatever size you like)depending on aircraft size

Tube of Super Glue

Modellers drill & 2x drill bits
A.)(1 the size of the pins)
B(1 size of pin heads, to countersink pin heads) so the stands/bases don't wobble.

1x Pack of dress makers pins around £1 or so for hundreds of them. whatever length you like.

1x Pair of model clippers or small wire cutters.

Steps in Order.
1.) Use the small drill bit A to drill through the center of Spacer.
2.) Use drill bit B to drill just a 1mm or so to countersink Pin Heads
3.) Push pin through hole, using wire cutter gently pull through spacer until it stops.
4.) a dab of super glue on the Pin Head to hold it secure.
5.) Clip off pin Point
6.) drill into Aircraft using drill bit A & super Glue stand/base to plane.
Cheap & Easy to do. Did 40 in about half hour.

Have a good few 1:600 planes here, made bases reasonably simply..

1" square of 1mm plasticard, nailed a 30mm steel pin through the middle - less than a quid for a box of them. clip the top off the pin so there is a flat bit. "v1" put a blob of green stuff on the top and glued the plane to that, "v2" drills a hole in the base of the plane then hammer the pin into it.

Under the plastic two strips of magnetic tape - nice level base with the head of the pin, and now very easy to store and transport..

Also nice flat surface for painting markings on if desired.

Never thought of tile spacers... Nice idea though

Which email address do I send the photos to?

The Planes as yet are unpainted awaiting for Triples to get the Naval stuff!!
Then I'll paint the lot.

Will send photo's with how I did each step as well.
Why not set up a page on the website for modelling tips. So people can show everyone what they have done & how it was done in step by step photographs.

I have been modelling since I was 8years old, now 41 worked for an independent war games shop for a few years, then went on to work at GW years later.

I love to see other peoples work & how they have done things. Although I consider myself a good painter & modeller, I have seen other peoples work that has blown my mind.

While I have been gaming with the Tumbling Dice aircraft, I normally use the 1/1200 Magister Militum ones for naval gaming; still recognisable, but a closer match to the ships, plus you get more for your pennies! :D

The reason for using Tumbling Dice Planes, is that they do all the planes we need. With each plane representing a fighter flight.

The idea of doing larger planes was for visual effects. Kind of a pilots eye view of at high altitude.

Mark Still said:
The reason for using Tumbling Dice Planes, is that they do all the planes we need. With each plane representing a fighter flight.

The idea of doing larger planes was for visual effects. Kind of a pilots eye view of at high altitude.
Oh, I quite agree and I use the 1/1200 planes with exactly the same philosophy. 1 plane represents a flight and they are bigger than the scale of the ships, giving the same view. The range is very extensive as well!

Pair of Mk1 Hurricanes, these use the "stick to a blob of GS on a pin" method, crude, the drilled version is better though.

Hurricane-1.JPG

Base is 1" square, basic model, but serviceable for now.

Once Mongoose have enough planes out would be nice to have a more detailed, but compatible, air warfare game as an option - i.e. use if air is 'important' and the more normal streamlined rules if its more incidental to the game.

Back