Chargen help - What to do when you can't do what you want.

Smax

Mongoose
Wicked basic points here: My character failed to qualify when switching careers to Navy Pilot (natural 2, canyabelieveit, etc).
1) Does the rule that you can't apply to a career you've left apply if the character was never actually in that career to begin with? (i.e. after spending 4 years Drifting, can he re-apply to be a Navy Pilot?)
2) If not, can he re-apply to any other branch of the Navy (using the High Guard book)?
3) Can he apply for the draft and hope to get drafted into the service he couldn't qualify for?
4) Can he be drafted into a service he actually failed out of? (I know this one's probably a "no", but so long as I'm here).

Thanks for your time, I'm stupendously excited about my upcoming Trav game!

Oh, and one more (Call it 3a): Does he have to qualify for his Draft assignment, or is he just assumed to automatically get in?

No, you can't re-apply.
Yes, you can be drafted back into a service you were ejected from.

Smax said:
Wicked basic points here: My character failed to qualify when switching careers to Navy Pilot (natural 2, canyabelieveit, etc).
1) Does the rule that you can't apply to a career you've left apply if the character was never actually in that career to begin with? (i.e. after spending 4 years Drifting, can he re-apply to be a Navy Pilot?)
2) If not, can he re-apply to any other branch of the Navy (using the High Guard book)?
3) Can he apply for the draft and hope to get drafted into the service he couldn't qualify for?
4) Can he be drafted into a service he actually failed out of? (I know this one's probably a "no", but so long as I'm here).

Thanks for your time, I'm stupendously excited about my upcoming Trav game!
As I see it, much of this is up to the degree of interpretation (fudging?) your group and GM is happy with. I would suggest the following;
1. You can reapply for a career you failed to get into, just wait 4 years, thought there may be a DM penalty for previous career (even if drifter) or age. (Why not? You screwed up first time, but the navy likes triers)
2. If using HG, there is the alternative of joining a different type of navy, e.g. planetary rather than the IN.
3. Yes, why not? You can see this as a second chance.
4. Yes, why not? Again, a second chance, "Ah, Crewman Bloggs, I note from your record you were discharged last year, however, I am pleased to inform you that the decision has been reviewed, and you can (delete where applicable) resume your carreer or start again."

Egil

Reet, half way through my second coffee and ready to answer questions :D

1. MonT main rule book page 8
Qualifification: What you need to roll to enter that career. Military careers use ‘ Enlistment’ as the description for this roll instead of qualification. If you fail this check then you cannot enter your chosen career this term. You must either submit to the Draft or take the Drifter career for this term. You suffer a –1 DM to qualification rolls for each previous career you have entered.Once you leave a career you cannot return to it. The Draft and the Drifter career are exceptions to this rule – you can be Drafted into a career you were previously in but got ejected from and the Drifter career is always open.

So if you fail to enter naval flight that term, go for the draft (which could put you back into the navy) or take a term as a drifter. Next term roll again to jon the navy with the -1 per career.

2. For the Navy and by extension the marines you have three steps going down in which you can try. MonT High Guard page 6. The rules above are clear on failed enlistment rolls, its the draft or drifter for you and nothing in High Guard says otherwise that I can see. Note that flight in the navy has a previous service of one term so if you get into flight in the Imperial navy and then get kicked out you can automaticly join the sector lads next term as you have one previous term and so auto qualify. You step down each time so after leaving the Imperials and then the sctors you can still join a planetary service and if you have the previous service it requires no roll thus no minus for previous careers.

3. Yep. It happens a lot. Fail to get into the navy and roll on the draft. What you can say is that you applied to the Imperial navy but they were full that term, however the Subsector recriters did need people and since you had already registered you data was in the naval system.

Recruiter: Mr Smax, by order of the Emperor you are hereby summoned to take service with the fleet. THumb print here.

Mr Smax: Wait I tried to join the navy, they sad they had no places left.

Recruiter: Yes very commendable however the Imperial flyboys may have plenty of recruits but here on the frontier we don't. Thumb print here and welcome to the backofbeyond Subsector defence fleet.

4. Yes. The Imperial bureaucracy is a dark and mysterious thing, not understood by mortal men. You can be refused entry by one part of the system and then be drafted right in by another part of the system. Only the Bwaps understand what is going on. KILL ALL BWAPS its the only way to stay sane :twisted:

3a.Nope, the draft is automatic. The only restriction is you can only be drafted once. No qualification needed.

Mr silver front and centre. By Imperial law, "Supplementation of military strength under declared emergency conditions" section 4, paragraph 8. You are hereby enlisted in his Imperial majesties marine corps. There is no appeal in this matter, hobble over there for initial booking. Your wooden peg leg will be replaced with a proper Marine rated Mk34b Cybernetic leg (left), your eye will be replaced with a synthetic which if you are lucky may even be the same colour or if the Doc is running low you may get a Vargr eye. Works just the same.
Oh and your parrot has to go, no pets!

Ha ha, the coffee is clearly working. Agree with almost everything, esp the need to eliminate the Bwaps!

However;

Captain Jonah said:
2. Note that flight in the navy has a previous service of one term so if you get into flight in the Imperial navy and then get kicked out you can automaticly join the sector lads next term as you have one previous term and so auto qualify. You step down each time so after leaving the Imperials and then the sctors you can still join a planetary service and if you have the previous service it requires no roll thus no minus for previous careers.

I don't see why qualification is automatic when moving from Imperial to sector or planetary. HG page 6 talks about"may attempt to join". Agee that if you can get into a less prestigious navy, then you get to keep your rank, but you may not be passed;

"Ah, Maverick, having seen your dishonorable discharge from the IN, I am pleased to inform you that we do not accept rejects in our navy. We may only have two shuttles and a pinnace, but when the smallest planetary navy in the Spinward Marches goes to war, we follow orders and don't kill our own crew. If you go the the Downport, I believe the "Crooners" are looking for a soloist. Goodbye."

Egil

Egil Skallagrimsson said:
Ha ha, the coffee is clearly working. Agree with almost everything, esp the need to eliminate the Bwaps!

However;

Captain Jonah said:
2. Note that flight in the navy has a previous service of one term so if you get into flight in the Imperial navy and then get kicked out you can automaticly join the sector lads next term as you have one previous term and so auto qualify. You step down each time so after leaving the Imperials and then the sctors you can still join a planetary service and if you have the previous service it requires no roll thus no minus for previous careers.

I don't see why qualification is automatic when moving from Imperial to sector or planetary. HG page 6 talks about"may attempt to join". Agee that if you can get into a less prestigious navy, then you get to keep your rank, but you may not be passed;

"Ah, Maverick, having seen your dishonorable discharge from the IN, I am pleased to inform you that we do not accept rejects in our navy. We may only have two shuttles and a pinnace, but when the smallest planetary navy in the Spinward Marches goes to war, we follow orders and don't kill our own crew. If you go the the Downport, I believe the "Crooners" are looking for a soloist. Goodbye."

Egil

High guard page 6 second column Second paragraph in the shaded bit :D
Some events allow a character to transfer and retain rank and benefits. When determining previous service terms, then planetary navies count all previous terms, subsector navies count only subsector and Imperial terms, and the Imperial navy counts only Imperial terms.

So a term in the imperial navy counts for everyone, a term in the subbies counts for them and the planets and a term on a planet counts for nothing much :D
This mentions rank and benefits but by extension if the term counts for your cash and rank it should count for enlisting as well since the lesser navy is acknowledging your previous terms already.

High guard page 6 second column third paragraph in the shaded bit :D
A character ejected from the Imperial or subsector navy through mishap cannot reenlist in either the Imperial or subsector navy.
A character ejected from any career may attempt to join the planetary navy again, but may join a maximum of three different planetary navies.

Mr Maverick gets hired as a shuttle pilot after all :D

Captain Jonah said:
A character ejected from any career may attempt to join the planetary navy again, but may join a maximum of three different planetary navies.

Mr Maverick gets hired as a shuttle pilot after all :D

Not sure if we agree on this or not, the key word seems to be "may", certainly if Maverick gets accepted, he can keep his rank etc, but he may not get accepted, so I would be inclined to require a qualification roll.

Egil

Back