Charge Damage...

iamtim

Mongoose
Over on another site, someone put up a less than favorable review of MRQ. Largely it struck me as unhappiness that MRQ isn't RQ3 or RQ2, but he did have a good point or two. One that specifically resonated with me was charge damage.

If a hobbit charges at you and hits, he'll do 1d4 additional damage.

If a rhinocerous charges at you and hits, he'll do 1d4 additional damage.

Doesn't that seem odd? I wonder if additional charge damage shouldn't be tied to SIZ or Move? Maybe make it double damage bonus or something?

Thoughts?

+1d6 per 10 full points of SIZ (use 1d4 if SIZ is under 10, will get silly for SIZ 1 charges, but we can figure that out later)???

Use double damage for figuring the chance of a knockback also?

Try this maybe. For a successful charge and hit the attacker's damage Others improve in proportion to their SIZ and STR as reckoned by the game (I'm also going to use a variant of this to sort out the critical + armour systems). e.g. Charging Broo goes from 1d10 to 2d6: Feeble Trollkin from -1d2 to +1d2.

Whoops. Typo Trollkins ambushed my last post. Gist of it is that a successful charge and hit improves the attacker's damage by two steps on the damage modifier table. 0 become +1d4; 1d10 becomes 2d6; -1d2 becomes +1d2...You get the idea.

Richard said:
Whoops. Typo Trollkins ambushed my last post. Gist of it is that a successful charge and hit improves the attacker's damage by two steps on the damage modifier table. 0 become +1d4; 1d10 becomes 2d6; -1d2 becomes +1d2...You get the idea.
Ya know, that is a fairly elegant and workable idea. It benefits everyone without making the bigger creatures completely overwhelming when they charge.
It has the added benefit of not really needing any extra bookkeeping, just jot down your "charge bonus" when creating the character and you're done.

Richard said:
Gist of it is that a successful charge and hit improves the attacker's damage by two steps on the damage modifier table.

What's the basis for two steps? Why not one? Or three?

It pops up with the average bod going from 0 to +1d4 as per the core rules which seems to avoid mucking about with the Stat ranges MRQ is using. Open to suggestions though.

Richard said:
It pops up with the average bod going from 0 to +1d4 as per the core rules which seems to avoid mucking about with the Stat ranges MRQ is using. Open to suggestions though.

That's a sensible basis for it, too.

The constant d4 is becuase the rhino alsready has a a SITR+SIZ db factoed into ito's damage. THat measn that while both a hobbit and a rhino can charge, the hoobit might be doing 1D8+1D4-1D4 with a spear, or 1D4+1+1D4-1D4 with a dagger, while the rhino is doing 1D6+2D6+1D4 with his horn.

A more realsitc way to do it would be to multiple/increasae thee effective SIZ of the creature based upon the speed of it's charge (becuase a cheeta sprinting @ 100kph hits harder that a wold travelling at 50kph).

Doable, but more complicated. You would need to work up two (or more) damage bonuses.

Back