Character Pictures

A

Anonymous

Anyone have any good pictures of people that are not major personalities that can be used for NPC's? Anything including Earth Force, alien, and just regular joes walking around would be good, portraits would be perfect.

You've got to be kidding me! No one here uses pictures to show what an NPC looks like or anything? No way. Someone please tell me ya do!

Babylon 5 Aide said:
You've got to be kidding me! No one here uses pictures to show what an NPC looks like or anything? No way. Someone please tell me ya do!

I always use pictures... trouble is I can't find any except cast members for Bab 5... which means I'll have to get any i need commissioned. :(

Well I have been using some middle ages looking pictures like from people who do characters for D and D and such, and from other things outside of B5 (Aragorn makes a perfect Ranger yes?) and was wondering if anyone had any good sites or pictures like that too.

Babylon 5 Aide said:
Well I have been using some middle ages looking pictures like from people who do characters for D and D and such, and from other things outside of B5 (Aragorn makes a perfect Ranger yes?) and was wondering if anyone had any good sites or pictures like that too.

Probably the best place to look would be in the Sci Fi galleries over at Elfwood.com, that you may have to scour through a lot of chaff before you find some real gems.

Well, during the last few years I have amassed a small collection of a few hundred pictures, from B5 and fantasy artists for use as NPC pix in my campaigns and as character pix when I play myself. It's nice to have something to show people, especially those who may not be that well versed in the BG ("What did you say a Pak'ma'ra looked like?" "And who of those were the Yolu again?"). However, B5 pictures for anyone in the background are Extremely hard to find, as all pix on the web focus on the main characters, and not on the Drazi shuffling by - and certainly not on the not even named alien in the background)

I tried that link neo and it kept giving me a 404 error last night... I don't know why but I'll try it again later today.

Do you focus mostly on alien species then Shadow Scout? I ask because you mentioned a few :) And you are right, it's darned near impossible to get a decent pic of something that isn't a principle cast member, but there are ALOT of things that happen in the background (Season One Rebirth Ceremony in the council chambers... Can anyone tell me what happens in the background? :wink:

Babylon 5 Aide said:
Do you focus mostly on alien species then Shadow Scout?
Focus? Not really - I just had troubles finding those pix, while I could have had tons of character pic, from Sheridan to G'Kar...
And for people who are not that well versed in B5 you need alien pix most - almost everyone who saw the show can imagine a Narn, or knows what a Minbari looks like... but you tell them they encounter a Grome smuggler and they go "huh???"; there it'd be nice to have a picture at hand and be able to say - "look, this is a Grome, they re a very minor race that live next to the Pak'ma'ra..."

I really hope some day, after they're through with the seasonal stuff, Mongoose will make a "Guide to B5 Aliens" supplement, with, say, two pages per race, at least one good picture (or drawing where there are none) and some short background descriptions - racial traits, history, and such; mentioning all the "official" facts for races we know of from the show, the map, and maybe even the better stories... Everything an enterprising PC could get out of an EA database, with an added section for "secret info", stuff the GM should know, but the characters should have a Really hard time to find out, if they manage it at all (like the Hyach's secret, or Anything about the shadows). And maybe even some "rumors" that PC's may pick up, which could be true or not, at the GM's discretion (like the ones from the show about Minbari having organic tech, or humans turning into stone if they see a Vorlon out of his shell... and of course some that may be of interest campaign-wise, like that the Gaim are secretly building a massive warfleet...)

Babylon 5 Aide said:
I tried that link neo and it kept giving me a 404 error last night... I don't know why but I'll try it again later today.

Apologies Bab 5 Aide, it wasn't so much a link as the name of the site. The actual link is here http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/

Just scroll down to the Zone 47 banner in the middle of the page as that is where the sci fi galleries are found.

Why not just use pictures of people heads, rather than those in costume. I occasionally use pictures or insist players locate one, for modern or 1920s games. Just for the extra kick

Otherwise see if you can track down some convention images, bound to be plenty of folks dressed up as Captin Tubby and his homley wife...... :lol:

Heh hadn't thought of doing the convention thing. Duh. Good call. Thanks for the updated link. I even searched for the place but... Well I got some frighting things!

Thanks

Why not look into cards from the Babylon 5 CCG. I'm not sure how many good alien shots you might get but they definately have some minor character portraits for you.

Pictures? Didn't any of you collect the CCG or the series CC? What's so good about them is all the pics. And i'm already using them as player aids. Fonts are a good tool, agan ive begun useing them as plot hooks.

You know, for things like one-time NPC descriptions, a snapshot is nice, but I find I get just as much use out of a text description. And they take way less time to prepare.

Like in the last session, I described one of the Nightwatch NPCs the party was up against as looking "like a white-collar criminal." It may not mean the same thing to everyone, but my players latched onto it immediately.

Jon Acheson

to show npc to my player i use cards from the babylon 5 ccg ;););)

it's an extensive "library" of npc's face shown on the show and i'ts quite useful !!! ;););););););)

Besides that, i'm fine !! ;) !!

if it can help you, here is a very well done site who ist every cards edited by precedence !! ;););)
http://b5ccg.mahasamatman.com/Lists.HTML
you'll find all the illustration you need !! ;););););););)

in cas ou end up lost in the names feel free to ask (me or someone else of course) what you're looking for and well look for it if we can !! ;););););)

just a hint (kinda obvious but .......well ;);)) if you're looking for character, search trough the character list !! lol ;);););););););)
sort by type and they'll all be together ;);)

Besides that, i'm fine !! ;) !!

oups .... not connected !! lol ;);););)

sorry : it's past midnight here so i'm not really awake anymore !! lol ;);)

besides that, i'm sleepy !! ;) !!

Back