Character Improvement

This is my take on improving PC's
The core one seems to easy and some of the others to much bookwork.
Please let me know what you think.

Character Improvement

To gain a skill level you must train for a number of weeks = (to your current skill levels [0 skills = ½ ]) x (the level you wish to gain +1).
Therefore if you have 15 skill levels and wish to gain a new 0 level skill it will take you 15 weeks. To gain level 1 will cost you 30 weeks.

To learn an Education or Intelligence based skill you need a teacher, of an equal skill level, who will charge 1kcr x his skill level a week [min 2] and can teach 2 x Int students at a time. You must study for at least 3 hours a day or 18 hours a week. Otherwise you can use an expert program with a rating higher than the skill level you wish to learn. This will cost as per the program or at 10% if it is on loan for up to a year.
You can try to learn by yourself using a database and experimentation this will take twice as long and is less likely to be successful.

To learn a physical based skill you must train for the same amount of time but only need a teacher or software for one session a week.

At the end of the training time make a Education roll with a minus = to the skill level you are learning +2 if doing it with a teacher, +1 if using software, + 1 per extra hour of study up to 6 per day in total i.e. 3 extra hours and a +3 dm. if you fail you can try again after 20% more learning. If while training you make good use of the skill you can gain some weeks of training and the -1 success is equal to a 0 and a minus 2 is equal to a -1.

To gain a characteristic you must engage in rigorous training which takes at least 2 hours a day. Weeks of training = Char point cost [p40] x 10. Again you need a teacher as though you were learning a physical skill. At the end of the training period you must make a Char roll = to the level you are reaching for with a Edu dm, +2 if doing it with a teacher, +1 if using software, + 1 per extra hour of study up to 5 per day in total i.e. 3 extra hours and a +3 dm.. I.e. if you are trying to increase your dx from 6 to 7 it will take 20 weeks and a dx roll of 7+ with a +2 if working with a teacher and +1 if training for 3 hours instead of 2.

To increase you Social standing works the same but you must spend credits = to 1/2 higher Soc per week in partying getting know the right people etc as well as the time, this is full time training, you can do nothing else expect try to raise your standing in society. This only works up to Soc 9. Again if you fail you can try again after another 20% weeks.

You can only be learning or improving one thing at a time. The rest of your time is spent working or keeping other skills / characteristics up to scratch. A break of more than a week in training means you have to start again.

Back