Character Generator?

Mac V

Mongoose
I know making characters is a breeze in this system, but, has anyone tinkered with making a generator or even altering Byakhee? Yes, I'm lazy, but I also need a way to pop characters ASAP due to time constraints when we play...

When CodeMonkey Publishing finally gets RPGToolkit out the door, they are going to support major OGL systems in it. Hopefully this will include MRQ. And even if it does not, adding new systems should be possible through the programs script language.

Archer said:
When CodeMonkey Publishing finally gets RPGToolkit out the door, they are going to support major OGL systems in it. Hopefully this will include MRQ. And even if it does not, adding new systems should be possible through the programs script language.

Major OLG systems? I didn't realize that there were so many OGLs out there that they had to be selective. I can think of four. How many other are there?

I'm working on a spreadsheet similar to heroforge, which will start wiht basic characters first, but I don't know when it will be out (soon hopefully).

atgxtg said:
Archer said:

Major OLG systems? I didn't realize that there were so many OGLs out there that they had to be selective. I can think of four. How many other are there?

D20-based
M&M Superlink
FUDGE
Action!
RQ OGL
The Basic System
Anime d20 and its attached Mecha creation system (published as d20 Mecha)
Open Core

And many, many more, some of which have sold copies in the tens of, well, tens. And that doesn't een count questionable cases like OSRIC (a remake of 1st-edition AD&D that its makers claim is Open Content; the seemingly lilely court case may well test the legality of the Open gaming License itself, at least in thre United States).

atgxtg said:
Archer said:

First of all, I see that CMP now have renamed RPG Toolkit to RPG Foundry.

D&D 3.0, D&D 3.5, D20 Modern (I think they should be just d20, but they list them as separate), HARP, Action! system, Open Core will be supported from the start.

I think MRQ was released to late in the game to get support immediately in RPG Foundry. Perhaps that will happen later, but that depends both on Codemonkey Publishing as well as Mongoose Publishing.

Well, I won't give another dime to Code Monkey after the disaster of a program they produced for D&D. I don't know if they ever straightened that out, but no thanks...................

Mac V said:
Well, I won't give another dime to Code Monkey after the disaster of a program they produced for D&D. I don't know if they ever straightened that out, but no thanks...................

Well, they did not produce it. They inherited the project from another company and tried to fix what was a very messy code. They have done as well as they can with it, lacking documentation on the code. So blame the guys WoTC originally hired for the project, not CMP. They inherited a can of worms.
This is the whole reason why they began developing RPG Foundry.

I blame myself for falling for it twice and spending what I did on it. I won't risk a third. Anyway, This game looks like it could use a nice simple program to get the job done.

If we're talking D&D e-tools as one of the original problems here, one of the main setbacks in that project (if I remember correctly) was Hasbro's licencing of D&D computer games to Atari, which in turn sold out certain rights the e-tools program needed from under WotC without them knowing about it until their people had a good part of the software written.

Originally e-tools was supposed to have a really nice mapping feature with animated 3d monster models. The terms of the licence sold to Atari for them to publish Neverwinter Nights said that only Atari were allowed to make a D&D "computer game", and the 3d map was seen as being far closer to a computer game than a tool. Hasbro saw the money and went for it, WotC found out way too late that their parent company had sold away half the rights they needed to retain for themselves.

I suspect Hasbro would have sold the rights anyway, even if someone at Wizards had pointed it out - from their point of view the NWN deal was bound to net far more income than a computer program aimed at a small group of pencil-and-paper gaming nerds.

Disclaimer: At least, thats what I recall being reported at the time.

Back