character generating for noobs : P

It doesn't look to me like you need to requal for another term in a career that you survive.
EDIT: Wait... On page 28, under Benefits, "failing to re-enlist" is listed as a trigger for leaving a career other than failing a survival roll. Also, in the Generation checklist, Step 11 sends you back to Step 3. (Choose a career).

Regarding the example character above, I think Norm should have 2 more skills. According to the Generation Checklist, in step 6 you roll for a skill before rolling for survival. Then, if you advance in step 8, you roll for another skill (plus whatever bonus skill might be available at that rank). This is consistent with the "Skills and Training" and "Advancement" sections on pages 3 & 4.

The "Battle" mishap is an interesting one. On Page 4 it states:

Survival. Each career has a survival roll. If you fail this roll, roll on the mishap table. This mishap is always enough to force you to leave the service. You lose the benefit roll for the current term.

Emphasis mine. So if Norm has succeeded on his Mechanic roll during the battle, what happens? If he's forced out of the career either way, there doesn't seem to be much point to the roll.

Tychus said:
It doesn't look to me like you need to requal for another term in a career that you survive.
EDIT: Wait... On page 28, under Benefits, "failing to re-enlist" is listed as a trigger for leaving a career other than failing a survival roll. Also, in the Generation checklist, Step 11 sends you back to Step 3. (Choose a career).

My interpretation is that getting 2 or less on the Advancement roll is the same as "failing to re-enlist."

Tychus said:
Regarding the example character above, I think Norm should have 2 more skills. According to the Generation Checklist, in step 6 you roll for a skill before rolling for survival. Then, if you advance in step 8, you roll for another skill (plus whatever bonus skill might be available at that rank). This is consistent with the "Skills and Training" and "Advancement" sections on pages 3 & 4.

Those were the two skill rolls that gave Norm: Gun(pistol)-1 and Mechanic-1, aren't they?

Tychus said:
So if Norm has succeeded on his Mechanic roll during the battle, what happens? If he's forced out of the career either way, there doesn't seem to be much point to the roll.

Good point... some of the other mishap tables seem to have different benefits and penalties based on player choice. Maybe this should be updated with two different results depending on the skill roll, but either one will end your career?

I was just reading over the checklist and just wanted to try to clarify things before my group starts using it:

• Step 3d:
    - I don't think characters should be eligible for the draft if they've already spent at least one term in any career.

Step 6c:
    - I think if you fail the survival roll, you should go to Step 3 (not Step 5 as written)

JimG said:
I was just reading over the checklist and just wanted to try to clarify things before my group starts using it:

• Step 3d:
    - I don't think characters should be eligible for the draft if they've already spent at least one term in any career.

Step 6c:
    - I think if you fail the survival roll, you should go to Step 3 (not Step 5 as written)

Also:

• Step 5:
    - I thought I had read that you choose the specialization once at the beginning of the career, but this seems to indicate you can choose each term. Is this the intention?

Step 6c:
    - I think if you fail the survival roll, and you choose to finish your character you should jump to Step 9 instead of Step 12. Even though you don't get benefits for the current term you should still get them for prior terms (if any)

Step 8a
    - Should this read "applying -1 DM per term served" as described on page 4, instead of "applying Rank as a negative DM"?

Step 8c
    - This should indicate that a natural 12 means you must serve an additional term.

Additional Step 9 or Step 8d
    - If you are staying in the career go to Step 6 (or Step 5)

Step 10
    - Shouldn't this be moved, since you roll for aging each term from the 4th on, not just once at the end?

JimG said:
Tychus said:

Those were the two skill rolls that gave Norm: Gun(pistol)-1 and Mechanic-1, aren't they?

I don't see Gun(pistol)-1.

By my reading, in his first term, Norm should have received the following:
1 skill roll for the term
Melee (Blades) at 1 for promotion to Ensign
1 skill roll for promotion.

So, the Mechanic-1 and Int +1 are the two rolls, but he's missing Melee(Blade).

In the second term, he should receive a skill roll before rolling for survival.

And, looking at it again, the Survival requirement for Line/Crew is Int 4+, not 6+. So he should have succeeded in his survival roll...

- I thought I had read that you choose the specialization once at the beginning of the career, but this seems to indicate you can choose each term. Is this the intention?
Not a mongoose guy, but when we did characters today, we liked this option. Sometimes it makes sense for the character to stay in a service, but switch to another job within that realm

Tychus said:
I don't see Gun(pistol)-1.

By my reading, in his first term, Norm should have received the following:
1 skill roll for the term
Melee (Blades) at 1 for promotion to Ensign
1 skill roll for promotion.

So, the Mechanic-1 and Int +1 are the two rolls, but he's missing Melee(Blade).

In the second term, he should receive a skill roll before rolling for survival.

You're right.

I wish I had gotten higher than Reading(Comprehension)-0 :oops:

Sorry been gone for a while.

Norm got Gun(pistol)-1 and Mechanic-1 for his first term. You are right, he should get 1 skill for the second term (before he rolled survival).

As for the roll within Survival, had Norm made the roll, he would NOT have been blamed for the mishap, but still not allowed to re-enlist. That is my interpretation anyway. Remember, he FAILED his survival roll, so no matter what happens, he is out of the Navy. It becomes a background thing. Norm has a black mark on his Service Record and if he tries to get a job that looks into that kind of thing, he will have some explaining to do.

Regarding the sub-skills, I read the text wrong.

Norm should have Gun Combat (Slug Pistol)-1 and Gunnery(Turret)-0

Anyone else want to post a REAL character generation? I sort of did Norm on the fly trying to show the different tables more than actual rolls...

Back