Changing DMs

Mayhem

Mongoose
It occurs to me that the Narrative, "disjointed" style suggested for Conan RPG - modelled, of course, after Howards methods - makes it an ideal game for those who want to take it in turns to DM.

After one adventure, it can be assumed that a given character goe of to do something suitably heroic, alone, whilst the group "coincidentally" meet up with an old comrade in need of ther help - or able to supply skills that they need for their next endeavour.

(Again, this mimics events in many of the Conan Stories)

It's interesting. The only other game I have played that came with a built in rationale for regular changes of party/DM was Dreampark.

The question is, if you followed this route, how much XP should the DMs own character get during his time away from the party? The same as them? A fraction of what they get? None - on the assumption that everyone will DM the party through one level increase?

Thoughts and comments?

Dr. Skull's group does this and it works quite well. Check his page for a working example, complete with session summaries (which I really enjoy btw, both for ideas, inspiration and pure entertainment).

The beauty of Conan seems to be that a character can sit out a few sessions and not be as hamstrung by lower levels as they might be in most other games, so leveling up between sessions isn't completely necessary. This down time can also be used as development time for that character to level up in a new class. To use an example from Dr. Skull's group; a Shemite gains a level in the Scholar class in his downtime since in his previous adventure he decided to stay with an Oracle the party helped (whom he knew from his past). A few episodes later he rejoins the party with training from the Oracle, hence his level in Scholar.

In short I'm all for the Episodic nature of the stories. Natuarally I would make some episodes larger than others so the players could have a bit of the "traditional" feel here and there.

Mayhem said:
It occurs to me that the Narrative, "disjointed" style suggested for Conan RPG - modelled, of course, after Howard's methods - makes it an ideal game for those who want to take it in turns to DM.

This is exactly what we've done in our group. I bought the game on a whim after reading S'mon's post at The Forge about playing Conan with Sorcerer & Sword (as referred to here: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1865 ) We enjoyed it and then other players picked up copies of the rulebook so we've all had a chance to play.

Mayhem said:
The question is, if you followed this route, how much XP should the DMs own character get during his time away from the party? The same as them? A fraction of what they get? None - on the assumption that everyone will DM the party through one level increase?

We just arbitrarily decided to give 1000xp per session to everyone, GM included.

This amount has meant relatively rapid advancement whilst we learnt the rules and now we're at 6th level it should plateau out a bit so we can explore the nuances of the game and our characters.

We give GMs an average amount given to the players at the session.

Dr. Skull actually has a pretty arcane and detailed experience system worked out in which he gives out poker chips that are redeemed at the end of the session for XP. Even when someone else is the GM, the Skull gets to be the chipmaster. It all works out because I'm full-time initiative monkey and Joe keeps track of NPC hit points.

Only players who show up for games get experience. One caveat to this rule is for "Guest NPCs" such as Lord Prospero Victus (see http://conan.delving.com/session10.html ).

Back